1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I hate vista... read only stuck & i have full control...

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by Zenno, Jun 3, 2007.

1. Zenno

Zenno Member Guru

GPU:
    GeForce 6800 GS
    Read only is stuck on ALL folders, even new ones I create myself, and I cant shut it off. I uncheck it, hit accept, no warnings or anything, hit ok, try to copy a file, dont work, go in to properties, its on read only again.

I went in to security, made sure that full control and all permissions are set for all of them. Still dont work. Tried transfering owners, still dont work. There is only one user - the name of the pc (mj-pc/administrator), but still itried setting the permissions for all the ones on the list and adding "Users" to the list with full permission as I read in a walkthru, but it still did not work.

I dont know what else to do. Just last week I had a similar problem with the program files folder when I was copying files for Oblivion mods, but I changed the permissions and got it working without a problem, this week I'm just trying to copy a file to a different folder, NOT in the program files folder or anything, and it wont let me do it at all. Not even in a new folder i create directly on the c:\.

I cant stand these problems with vista =( I hate that I'm going to have to upgrade this PC to vista for DX10 =(

2. Keitosha

Keitosha Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega56 8GB \ GT1030
    Have you also disabled UAC? Type MSCONFIG in Run and select the tab Tools and start "Disable UAC".
    Vista is indeed a pain in the ass when it comes to ownership of folders and everything.

3. nicugoalkeper

nicugoalkeper Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 1060 DUAL OC 6GB
    You must reinstall windows if after this it still not works because your windows is corupt or did not install correct !!

4. Keitosha

Keitosha Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega56 8GB \ GT1030
    No no no! It is working like a charm now, but you'll need some knowledge before installing Vista. Vista is a lot different when handeling permissions compared to XP.

5. Zenno

Zenno Member Guru

GPU:
    GeForce 6800 GS
    Did not work =( still having the same problem. I found another prob today... i'm getting messages that my backup disk is almot full (the recovery partition of the drive where windows is on, this is my laptop PC), and when I try to access it, it just tells me "Warning, this area contains files used for PC recovery, do not alter these files!" but I am not able to view them.... so I cant even format if i wanted!

I dont know what to do im about to throw this computer out the window!

6. Dierdre

Dierdre Banned

GPU:
    Evga Geforce 7800GTX
    You didnt by any chance do a "over the top" install where you had XP there and just changed the OS to vista but left all your files in place???

7. Zenno

Zenno Member Guru

GPU:
    GeForce 6800 GS
    Nope... laptop came w/ vista preinstalled. I would just reinstall to be safe but the biggest problem for me at the moment is I cant figure out why the recovery partition is unaccessable and quickly gaining in file size. It was about half-60% full 2 nights ago, and yesterday only 30 something MB free.

8. colinrichardson

colinrichardson New Member

GPU:
    don't care
    Look for programs locking it up.

Hi,
    I just stumbled across your question, while I was having a similar problem. After trying a whole-lot of permissions settings, I realized that 'mediacoder', a video encoding program, was actually forcing the read-only on a folder that it was not even actively using. Once I removed the folder from its job-queue, the read-only was turned off. I don't understand why someone would have software do this, when windows will normally keep you from altering a file that a program is actively using.

I'd imagine that your backup software might be doing something similar. Maybe you can disable it fully and then see if you can alter those folders.

- Colin