I hate my 6600GT

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by hylian, Jun 29, 2007.

1. hylian

hylian New Member

GPU:
    Geforce 6600GT
    Specs:
    AMD Athlon 3000+ Socket 754
    Gigabyte K8vt800m
    512mb Kingston
    Nvidia GeForce 6600GT
    LG D/l dvd burner
    Maxtor 4gb ide winxp install
    Seagate 300gb SATA Documents etc

A few weeks ago, I bought this computer second hand off my friend. It worked perfectly fine for him, before he sent it off to me, he updated everything, BIOS, forceware, and installed windows again.

Now, when I received it, it was giving me BSOD's constantly and sometimes the hdd wouldn't boot, I fixed this problem by installing an old hard drive (maxtor) and everything was fine, I just hadn't attempted to run games yet.

The first time I did, I was able to get in a few hours of Bf2 on forceware 93.?? everything was okay, or so I thought. A few days later I decided I would try and play some more BF2, I got to the menu screen and it completely locked up, I left it there for about 5 minutes and it would progress in the background menu movie for a second or so, but that was it. I tried another game thinking there might have been something wrong with BF2, I tried V8 Supercars 2, since it was a lower requirement for hardware, I thought it would be able to run.

I was wrong. I wasn't even able to get past the "EA GAMES- Challenge everything" screen, it completely froze. I gave up and then turned my pc off, and pulled out the graphics card and the ram, and put them back in, I had success when I tried to run BF2 again, but the next day it wouldn't work.

I went to a computer store where i used to work at a few years ago and asked what they thought the problem was, according to him there's a problem with the combination of nForce 2 and 6600GT's, he said the way to fix this was to install a "loop fix". After scouring the internet for a while, I finally found the nv4_loopfix, I installed it and restarted then went to run Bf2, again, same problem.

I decided to revert to old forceware, so I installed forceware 71.22, but it was a guru3d version that I retrieved off this website, after installing I had the same issues.

Another thing I forgot to mention is that the graphics card problem seems to be holding up the rest of the system, for example when I'm in itunes listening to music, sometimes it will just freeze up and then resume playing a few moments later, this usually happens when I go to click something, like run a new application, open the start menu, or maybe just scratch my ass.

I came to the conclusion that it was the graphics card holding it up because when I had no drivers installed and was just running the default xp drivers for the video, I had absolutely no problems at all with freezing in iTunes or whatever.

So that's pretty much the extent of my issue, and I wanted to put in this emoticon cause I was amused by it for several seconds: :coffee2:

Thanks in advance for any help.

2. mlgn

mlgn Member

GPU:
    BIOSTAR / 7300gt / 256MB 128bit
  3. Sukovsky

Sukovsky Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    Is the powersupply sufficient? I believe a 6600GT uses more power than a 7600GT, so that might just be the issue.

4. CTman

CTman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 6800 V9999
    Freezes of computers during usage are usually caused by a malfunctioning power supply, cpu overheat or bad memory modules. What power supply do you got - look for the ampere on the 12V rail(s)? How's the temp of the cpu, what cpu cooler is used and is fresh thermal paste used? Have you check the system memory for errors?

Good luck!

5. Renegade8100

Renegade8100 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 SC
    ur friend is an *******

6. cozee

cozee Master Guru

GPU:
    Inno3d 260GTX x2Freezer
    Try A different stick of memory,BSOD ar nearly always memory related..I had a corrupt stick on a P4 and it wouldnt play games.The memory would fill up then wouldnt release the data fast enough.

7. Renegade8100

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 SC
    BSOD is usually either memory related or videocard related. sometimes a ****ed driver will screw u up also, i'd try a drive-cleaner then a fresh driver install and see how that works.

8. Australis

Australis Guest

GPU:
    MSI RX480 Gaming X 8G
    If you have torn apart graphics on screen or visual abnormality, then it would be the graphics card.
    I wonder how the CPU is holding up because application-wise, the CPU is the mainframe. It might have gone crazy. Did your friend do a lot of overclocking?

9. hylian

hylian New Member

GPU:
    Geforce 6600GT
    Thanks for the replys guys.

I have pondered the thought of the PSU stuffing up, cause it's only a 300w, I have a feeling that the problems that I'm getting with the hard drive and GPU are caused by the cord that they are connected by, see my PSU only has two of those backward molex thingys that you plug into a gpu, and they're divided on the same cord, ones to the gpu, ones to the hard drive, so maybe they are fighting over all the power they're using.

I downloaded the drivers 71.22 and they produced major artifacts on the screen, it appeared that the graphics card had failed cause it was asking for to much power or something and the psu couldn't handle it.

I am almost certain it's the PSU so I'll go over to a friends and use his mum's psu (500w on a P4 2.8 or similar) and see if that works, then I can go and buy a good psu.

The PSU is a cheap one as is the case, I don't know much about 12v rails, but I looked on the side and it says:
    cheers for the help again.

10. Renegade8100

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 SC
    the power supply isnt an issue. i have a 754 3700+ with 1gig of ram n a x850xt pe in my basement runnin on a 300 watt antec

11. Renegade8100

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 SC
    oh ouch.. 5/10amps on 12v rail? that would rape your system, i only use 20+ amps on old rigs

12. Darkasantion

Darkasantion Master Guru

GPU:
    Club 3D HD5870 1035/1325
    It's indeed your PSU, the 6600GT alone will require 125 Watt/10 Amps on your PSU 12v-rail, and given your current setup, it just doesn't get enough power.

I did almost have the same problem when I had an 6600GT, my PSU barely could handle it back then, and to play safe I ordered my current PSU to play safe, and never ever had problems with that PSU.

Ask your friend how he powered that rig, I believe it was without that PSU.

13. CTman

CTman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 6800 V9999
    125W for the 6600GT alone? That's more than for a Geforce 8800GTS or even a Geforce 7900GTX.

Here's a power requirement chart for several Nvidia videocards at load made by SKYMTL:

[​IMG]

Good luck!

Last edited: Jul 1, 2007
  14. BIGWORM

BIGWORM Guest

GPU:
    Sparkle GTX 260 SP216
    Ditto. Seems like he sold you a knowingly BAD system. RMA? (aka swift ass-kicking, then refund) ¬_¬

15. UnclePappi

UnclePappi Banned

GPU:
    Asus 680 2gb 1250mhz
    lol I was thinking the same thing.

16. Australis

Australis Guest

GPU:
    MSI RX480 Gaming X 8G
    I cannot help agreeing with the guys above.

17. Googie

Googie Guest

GPU:
    [1] XFX 6870 HD @955/1100
    Just wondering if its not the PSU, if when he updated everything he screwed something up?

18. FlawleZ

FlawleZ Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC2
    I don't know what NF2 and 6600GT problem other people were having, but I ran a 6600GT and an NF2 board for 1.5 years without a single issue.

19. UnclePappi

UnclePappi Banned

GPU:
    Asus 680 2gb 1250mhz
    same here, ran mine for 1 yr with an athlon xp 3200 1 gig ram

Last edited: Jul 2, 2007
  20. Coldstone

Coldstone Member Guru

GPU:
    Sparkle 7950GT 512MB
    m8 u can set ur windows that it dont do restart if an error occures a Bluescreen, (right click on your "myComputer" icon choose "properties" than "advanced" click on "start and restore" there u deactivate the option "reboot automaticaly" than by next BS just look for the errorcode and what file or application occures that failure. U can search for the errorcode at www.microsoft.com under support or smthg. Or if BS shows some .vxd file its driver related. So look what file is shown at BS and use google to find out for what that file is. Than u will know what the prob is.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2007