I don't think the 3080 has enough Vram

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by SerotoNiN, Sep 4, 2020.

1. toyota

toyota Active Member

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti
    what a bunch of BS. having used a 6gb card I could run into issues easily in some games where vram was the ONLY limiting factor. simply turning down textures one or two notches would fix the issue so all the vram wasnt being used. so sorry to burst your bubble but the vram usage being shown in games was what the game was actually using and in some cases actually needing.

2. wavetrex

wavetrex Maha Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX1080 AMP!
    Guys, you just don't understand how this works... :rolleyes:
    ... NVidia wants everyone to upgrade again from Ampere 1.0 to Ampere 2.0 (aka, 3080 Super, 3070 Super, etc... next year), which will be moving from 10 to 20 GB of memory, and a 0.001Ghz bump in clock.

Why sell one card when you can sell two near identical ones to the same person ?

Genius !

k3vst3r, nikobellic and toyota like this.
  3. toyota

toyota Active Member

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti
    lol yep and then they will test those same games and then tell you they use more vram...

Solfaur likes this.
  4. cucaulay malkin

cucaulay malkin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    I wouldn't be worrried with 10GB at 1440p or 4K,not by a long shot
    For those who think a 10GB card with new memory compression will be "absolete",show me reviews running out of vram on 2080 Super at 4K.

not true from my own experience.

$650 Fury X with 4G

Last edited: Sep 6, 2020

5. toyota

toyota Active Member

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti
    you are full of crap. even digital foundry pointed this out. I have tested on an rtx 2060 super as well as a 2080 super. all max settings with rt maxed and dlss on quality at 1440p will get the message that you must lower your settings due to lack of vram. if you proceed it will hitch and eventually lock up.

6. cucaulay malkin

cucaulay malkin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    I did not see a warning nor lock up
    please watch your gutter language or just refrain from posting if offending is your intention

7. toyota

toyota Active Member

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti
    calling you full of crap is "gutter language" ? if you think that then you need mental help.

feel free to post a short video showing EVERY setting maxed and running the benchmark. of course I dont have to worry about that.

EDIT: you probably do not have texture streaming on "uber". its one of those settings that you have to manually adjust as it will be on ultra if you dont. on ultra texture steaming the game will be fine but borderline with all other settings maxed. with it on uber it will indeed hitch if not crash or lock up.

EDIT 2: just tried it again since its been months and sure enough it locked up with every single setting cranked with texture streaming on uber. with texture streaming on ultra it was fine for the most part but lowering the dlss to balanced make it run perfect. again this is just at 1440p so just like digital foundry said, you cant use uber texture settings with everything else maxed out on an 8 gb card.

8. Pinstripe

Pinstripe Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2060 Super
    Shouldn't Sampler Feedback take care of excessive VRAM requirements?

9. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    Here's the thing... RTX 3090 costs double. Definitely not worth it. With the money you save you can buy the RTX 4080 when it comes out and sell the RTX 3080. RTX 3080 should be fine for at least that long.

I would have liked to see at least 12GB but that would have meant uncut memory bandwidth. Still, that should be much cheaper than RTX 3090.

Maddness likes this.
  10. toyota

toyota Active Member

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti
    yeah check back in about 12-18 months when we actually get that...

11. Pinstripe

Pinstripe Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2060 Super
    ...which is about when these cards are actually getting properly utilized. Until then, we're still gonna deal with cross-platform games that can run on Pascal and Polaris gen hardware.

cucaulay malkin likes this.
  12. toyota

toyota Active Member

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti
    then you sure as hell are not playing games like Red Dead Redemption 2. I could make my 2080 super crap itself with sub 30 fps minimums if I crank all the settings even at just 1440p. of course common sense dictates backing off the settings but dont act like we cant utilize a 3080 in current games. plus some people like well over 100 fps.

13. Pinstripe

Pinstripe Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2060 Super
    That shows what a lazy port RDR2 then is. I'm not going to pay extra for more VRAM because developers are lazy. If RDR2 can run on an ancient Xbox one but has trouble running on a 2080, then the onus is on the developers, not the hardware vendors.

14. toyota

toyota Active Member

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti
    oh god the lazy port excuse. and what I said had nothing to do with vram. I was simply talking about the game being extremely demanding with all settings cranked so I could easily put the 3080 to use even at 1440p in a game like that.

15. Pinstripe

Pinstripe Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2060 Super
    Well dude if you feel like you need to crank up all the settings to crazy in order to enjoy a game, that's your problem then.

16. toyota

toyota Active Member

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti
    do you have anything halfway intelligent to say? this is a thread about a goddamn soon to be released $700 video card. you are the clown that acted like that much gpu power was not even needed. then you claim bad port when I give you example. now you claim I must have a problem if I want to crank the settings. using your pea brain logic then I should just play all low settings at 720p and just "enjoy the game". next time maybe actually pay attention to the damn context instead of making asinine comments.

Solfaur likes this.
  17. Pinstripe

Pinstripe Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2060 Super
    Reported for personal insults.

18. toyota

toyota Active Member

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti
    typical. make idiotic comments and then when called on it run for help. maybe get someone there with an IQ above 75 to explain to you that it may make more sense to evaluate the nonsense you said first.

EDIT: oh I see the problem, you only have a 1660 ti so you cant relate to someone wanting to have a high end card and crank the settings. why are you even in this thread?

19. Ryrynz

Ryrynz Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 960
    Wait until the reviews hit and you'll see how the new Tensor Memory Compression changes things as far as texture requirements go, this is a big change.
    The usual case of people crying before any results are even out of the gate, stop it.

20. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    There's no such thing... RTX IO = DirectStorage for Windows API support. It will take quite some time before we see games use it and it's for faster streaming from storage (and accelerated decompression).