I don't get why people like the XBOX 360...

Discussion in 'Consoles & console games' started by HETT, Jan 25, 2008.

1. lmimmfn

lmimmfn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AorusXtreme 1080Ti
    true, BUT you would easily make up the difference in PC gaming due to the fact that PC games cost a lot less than console versions.

Also( and im pro neither PC, or consoles, they each have their own pro's and cons ), games have to look better on the PC simply by the fact that you can set the resolution on your PC, most PC gamers are now playing@1680x1050, and 99% of all current gen console( thats 360&PS3 :) ) titles are wayyyyyyy below this @ 1440x720 or 1280x720, there's next to 0 PS3 titles that run at a resolution of 1920x1080( some tennis game and GT will, thats all im aware of ). For gaming on your PC where you sit 2 feet from your screen those resolutions look horrible on a native 22", effectivelt legovision, if you throw on lots of AA the hit on the GPU would be less than if you went your 22"'s native res. Also a lot of console games are stuck at 30FPS which isint as noticable when you sit a bit back from the tv, but its horrible on the PC.
    A 3850 gfx card on the PC will provide much much better gfx than a console, easily because of the low console resolutions,
    Performance of the 3850:
    Bioshock 49FPS at 1680x1050, everything maxed - http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/sapphire_hd3850/7.htm
    Unreal 3 beta @ 1920x1200 everything maxed, average 56FPS
    http://www.overclock3d.net/reviews....extreme_pcs_-_amd_3850_performance_explored/6
    CoD4 @ 1920x1200 with everything maxed and 4xAA - average 32,7FPS
    http://www.overclock3d.net/reviews....extreme_pcs_-_amd_3850_performance_explored/4
    Oblivion @ 1920x1200, avg 47.9 FPS
    http://www.overclock3d.net/reviews....extreme_pcs_-_amd_3850_performance_explored/4
    All the above games are available on console but their resolutions are far far lower that those tests of the 3850

I prefer arcade games on console and arcade adventures, i prefer FPS, RTS and RPG's ( except Final Fantasy, great on console :) ) and retro gaming on the PC, and in that respect i love joypads for arcade games and keyboard/mouse for PC games.

These "Which is best" threads are getting annoying, FPS on PC will always be for hardcore gamers, and console gaming is a much much better shared experience

ha ha, i still have my amiga 1200 with 68030 daughterboard, 10megs ram and a 130meg harddrive, must try and find a modulator for it or some funky cable for my ancient multisync crt
    But i must say, "The Amiga didnt have any exclusives?", i presume you mean compared to console and not games on the ST? in which case are you crazy man?, Turrican 2 was one of the absolute best games of that time, i still play it and absolutely love it still, the music is well funky :), Turrican was out on the SNES and Megadrive i think but it wasnt Turrican 2 and wasnt anywhere near as good

Last edited: Jan 30, 2008
  2. soul8103

soul8103 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    8600M GT
    Opening zelda ocarina of time on christmas day and putting it on in the living room with my bro and all my mates. Firing a turtle shell at my mate as donkey kong on original mario kart whilst sitting together on the floor giving each other stick. Doing the first loop de loops at full speed with running boots in sonic 1. Finding out alex the kid existed on master system when it didnt have a cartridge in. Figuring out the thistle whistle trick on mario 3 at my mates house by accident and going WTF! 4 playing wcw vs nwo/goldeneye 4 player on a 28inch tv on the n64 resulting in me making my nephew cry. Playing virtual cop with TWO GUNS!!!. Finally getting to the end of shenmue 2 and being so overjoyed and overwhelmed yet deeply saddened by no sequal. Thats what console gaming is about to me.

I love PC gaming, but those moments mentioned above are so memorable my overall gaming experience would be far fomr complete without them. PC's are for huddling away in your room in your bedroom in the dark being engaged and a recluse, Console gaming is something you can really enjoy with other ppl. Sure the games may not be as graphically advanced, but I can tell you for free that personally pulling off the most complex combo on street fighter II turbo against my mates was far more satisfying then enjoying the first sunrise in crysis on my own.

3. bahamut

bahamut Master Guru

GPU:
    GeForce 8800GTS (G80) @ 600/1800
    Source please. Last time I checked the most common monitor resolution used was 1280x1024 and that only just edged out 1024x768. Maybe one of the Steam/Valve surveys would provide us with solid figures. I seriously doubt most (as in more than 50%) of PC gamers actually game at 1680x1050, but please, if you can substantiate your claim go right ahead.

4. bahamut

bahamut Master Guru

GPU:
    This post is pretty close to my own feelings on the matter. :)

[​IMG]

5. lmimmfn

lmimmfn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AorusXtreme 1080Ti
    What i mean by that is you and me, i.e. those that game a lot on their PC's not WoW heads or sims heads :)
    valve survey - http://www.steampowered.com/status/survey.html shows 47% game at 22" or above( which is native 1680x1050 and above ), which removes my "most" part lol, but if you look at the actual figures, the main categories are 19", 22", 24" and >24" so most are playing at 22" or over. I personally would exclude the 15" category because i wouldnt consider them gamers in the least( are the playing wing commander or summit? ), thats 9%, leaving 91% left of which 47%>half
    Ok so i doctored the figures, unfortunately though the PC world due to backwards compatibility means that loads are running on ancient rigs and probably not capable of running the latest games( see 17% on ATI 9600's ) so i wouldnt consider them PC gamers in the same sense as i wouldnt consider someone who doesnt have anything newer than a SNES a console gamer

Maybe we should define a new category of PC gamer as those who can get >2500 in 3dmark06 lol

It raises the interesting question though, if you own a pong console( i had an old Binatone one in 1981 lmao ) from 1980 or whatever and youve never bought anything related to gaming whatsoever since, but you still play that pong game, does it still make you a console gamer? hmmmmmm, one ponders

6. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1080 Mini
    Let the party begin.....
    [​IMG]

7. bahamut

bahamut Master Guru

GPU:
    Ok so that is the screen size in inches, and to be fair most Source games run pretty well on hardware from the 6800/X800 era but not everyone has the muscle to play at the native res of a 22" screen. Are there any figures that show actual in game resolution*? Also worth remembering that Source is pretty old hat nowadays, more modern games will take a bigger toll on hardware. There would certainly be a lot less people running, say, Crysis at a high resolution.

As for me personally, I play in either 1440x900, 1280x1024 or 1280x720 (1360x768) because I only have 2 19" screens and a 32" LCD TV attached to my PC via component (the TV is also connected to a second media PC (d-sub) and the PS3 (via HDMI)). I do play WoW but also currently have installed Gears, Lost Planet, Crysis, Halo, UT3, Bioshock and a couple of others whose names escape me atm.

But this is the inherent problem with PC's, there is so much variety you just cannot generalise and once you start mixing in your own rules (as you have done above, to help strengthen your argument which is fair enough, it shows your perspective on the matter which you are entitled to) it becomes very murky indeed.

Primary Display Resolution (1152300 Users)
    • 800 x 600 18,861 1.64 %
    • 1024 x 768 364,628 31.64 %
    • 1152 x 864 60,084 5.21 %
    • 1280 x 960 459,263 39.86 %
    • 1440 x 900 83,189 7.22 %
    • 1600 x 1200 20,556 1.78 %
    • 1680 x 1050 103,505 8.98 %
    • 1920 x 1200 26,328 2.28 %
    • Other 15,886 1.38 %

Also I would say that most users would be more likely to run their desktop at the native res of their monitor than the game itself so this list shows 1280x960 as being the most used resolution.

The source you cite actually disproves the point you are trying to make. Remember, us hardware enthusiasts, who would probably be classed as more bleeding edge than the vast majority of "normal" PC gamers, are not the average user.

You can pick and chose what you like to support whatever you want pretty much, but then you are in effect changing the criteria for comparison to suit your own needs.

8. Kirkyl

Kirkyl Maha Guru

GPU:
    XFX GTX 260 OC (Core 216)
    I have no idea what Turrican 2 is heh,The only games i really remeber playing on my Amiga was Zool,James Pond,Lemmings and a hell of alot of side scroller games,oh and mortal combat.

I would sell my rig in an instant if i could relive those days with my Amiga again,i've gone all nostalgic now.:(

Bahamut* Heck i still play my games at 1024x768 because i'm still more than comfortable playing at that resolution granted my GTX could do alot more but i'm not fussed about it.

9. (IRE)Wolfman

(IRE)Wolfman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD 5700xt or 6700x
    thats not alot of users
    i games @ 1920x1200 and dont use valve

10. Kirkyl

Kirkyl Maha Guru

GPU:
    XFX GTX 260 OC (Core 216)
    Indeed and thats only for the people who chose to particpate in the survey,there are plenty of people who don't use steam i'd imagine.

11. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    eVGA RTX 2070
    i use Steam.... and i usually try to play games at 1920x1200. the only game i haven't done so on at this time, due to the fact that i KNOW it wouldn't be too pretty at this time, is Crysis. UT3, CoD4, anything Source, World in Conflict..... all run perfectly fine.

12. Alexstarfire

Alexstarfire Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce 9800GTX+ @ stock
    I play at 1280x1024, but that's because my monitor only goes that high. I can't do anything about that short of buying a new monitor, which I refuse to do since this one works perfectly fine. 1280x1024 is the minimum res to play at in my opinion and I just make the cut. anything below 1280x1024 just doesn't look that great. It's not a crisp. That's probably just because it's not my native resolution, but who knows.

13. Postalisback

Postalisback Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 760 TwinFrozr 2GB
    I used to play Source games at 800x600 but now I play at 1520x1140 (even Crysis) after figuring out that my monitor supports that resolution, nice to be in with the 1.38% there LOL

14. NvidiaFreak

NvidiaFreak Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI Radeon HD 7660D
    [​IMG]

i guess this is the reason why :infinity:

15. bfGDennis

bfGDennis Master Guru

GPU:
    Bfg GTX 295
    ahh the infemous rings of death!

that plagued the older systems, the latest 360's dont suffer from it as much
    i read somewhere that the new 360's have a 5% fail rate

16. Postalisback

Postalisback Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 760 TwinFrozr 2GB
    Well, some people like to have the best of both (a console and a PC) some people prefer consoles.

Personally, I find PC upgrading to be interesting and fun at the same time, won't get bored of it, haven't really been interested in consoles since the Playstation/Sega Megadrive. :)

17. (IRE)Wolfman

(IRE)Wolfman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD 5700xt or 6700x
    "A blogger at the Seattle PI has interviewed a Microsoft insider about the Xbox 360 project. The insider purports to have the background story on the 'red ring of death' (RROD) failures and why they are so common. 'RROD is caused by anything that fails in the "digital backbone" on the mother board. Also known as a core digital error. CPU, GPU, memory, etc. Bad parts, incompatible parts (timing problems) bad manufacturing process (like solder joints), misapplied heat sinks or thermal interface material, missing parts, broken parts, parts of the wrong value, missed test coverage. Any one or more, on any chip, or many other discrete components, would cause this. And many of the failures were obviously infant mortality, where they work when they leave the factory and fail early in use. The main design flaw was the excessive heat on the GPU warping the mother board around it. This would stress the solder joints on the GPU and any bad joints would then fail in early life. There are also other significantly high failure rates in other areas, like the DVD.'"

18. Alexstarfire

Alexstarfire Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce 9800GTX+ @ stock
    That's still way too high in my opinion. I doubt that any other console has a fail rate remotely near that. I'd be shocked if any other console had a fail rate over 2%.

19. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    i take it that your basing it soley on the fact you nor none of your friends ever had to return an 8bit nes before.

i have
    i have also had my PS1 quit spinning discs, bios showed up but didnt spin...was past its 90day warrantee unfortunaly, my friend has returned his PS1 and N64 back in the day.

i think all manufactured components have failure rates over 2% and moreso if they have moving parts. 5% isnt much at all really if you look up how many they produce each day for every country its sold at.

20. willvx

willvx Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800GTX 640/1880
    Dude, this was so last week. j/k I already posted this info, but everyone made fun of me about the supposed insider :O :)