I don't get why people like the XBOX 360...

Discussion in 'Consoles & console games' started by HETT, Jan 25, 2008.

1. HETT

HETT Member Guru

GPU:
    HD3850 256MB
    or any console for that matter... I bought the XBOX 360 almost 3 years ago now and I did enjoy it, had a nice interface and it was a good imrovement over what my 6600GT could do in my PC. I also played the PS3 and Wii, the Wii was incredibly gimmicky, I tried Red Steel and the controls and graphics were terrible, same goes for most of their other FPS games.

So the PS3 while it looked good had a lot of glitches, NFS pro streets trees would dissapear and had a lot of jaggies. RB6:V for PS3 also looked horrible compared to the 360 version... Oh well it is over-priced junk anways. So back to the 360, loved LIVE! it was a great thing to behold... So finally 2 years later my $700 worth is down the toilet, I get ONE red light (not 2 not 3 not 4 but ONE.) So I call MS and they say " Sorry free repairs only cover 3 RROD not 1." So I ask how much and they respond with $100 + $40 for shipping and 6 weeks processing.

I'm like screw that, so I did the Xclamp and sold it on ebay for $200 including 2 controllers and 4 games. I then bought myself a HD3850. Not only do games run WAY smoother, but they look better on PC...

So I ask myself, without being flamed... why is a console worth buying when you have: PS3 with terrible ports and lack of exclusives... Wii with its horrible gimmicky graphics and controls and the 360 with its terrible support and failing units?

When you can buy a PC for the same price and it plays a lot better and is more reliable and curtain?

2. putty

putty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Saffire AMD R9 285
    totally agree with you + pc has normal keyboard and mouse not a stupid controller, i dare some console boys to give me good arguements why people should buy a console

Cheers!

3. HETT

HETT Member Guru

GPU:
    HD3850 256MB
    and it's deffinatley not exclusives... most good XBOX 360 / PS3 games are on PC:

RB6
    GOW
    Lost Planet

just to name a few.

4. villa_youth

villa_youth Master Guru

GPU:
    780 Ti
    Had my 360 repaired twice and just about everybody i know who has got one has had there's repaired.Cheap and nasty components,p*** poor cooling fans and the noisyest cd drive ive every heard! Ive built 3 pc's for myself over the last few years and not once have they ever broke down.
    But all that said i'll be glad to have a console to play GTA 4 on when it come's out so there are some plus points.

5. willvx

willvx Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800GTX 640/1880
    I kinda have to agree, if you have major $$$ that is...a $700 PC won't get you very far. Every experience I've had and likely will have on the 360 and PS3 is and will be superior on the PC.

The PS3 is a little different however as some pretty cool stuff is planned for it like Little Big Planet, Home, etc. However, if the 360 gets some great exclusives then maybe it'll be worth the money as well.

Overall, it seems that every major release is hitting the PC AND looking better to boot, so I'd say buying either console (except the Wii) is a waste money ONLY if you can't afford a decent PC. For those on a tighter budget the 360 or PS3 are great alternatives.

6. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Another fanboy rant. I have both 360 and PC. Some of the 360 titles are great. Some "exclusive" titles made it onto the PC scene with a delay (GOW, Lost Planet), some never have and never will (Forza, PGR. Skate). Even the cross platform games are usually better on the 360 (NHL, FIFA, Splinter Cell). I've had my 360 for over a year and it never let me down. Still works as good as new. Games are great. Sure, it's a bit noisy but I usually play with headphones on so couldn't be bothered less. I still play RTS, FPS and MMORPG on the PC, because I prefer to use mouse+keyboard in those kind of games. Just get it through your thick skulls people, consoles do some things better than PCs and vice versa. Don't try to make them do something they're not designed to do. It won't work. Love them for what they are.

7. Wanny

Wanny Guest

I always been pretty much on console sides. You know, lots of us started with the NES and it stayed in US. We love to play games with a controller in hand and a big ass TV in front of you. Seriously, back in days, the N64 was my life. It was my dear friend. Today I have the same feel with the PS3. I first bought an HDTV, then the PS3 came after. I'm totally in love with the features: I got a couples of Blu-ray movies and it looks and sounds AWESOME with a surround set. The games looks decent and can do way more than my damn current Craputer. I love how I can buy games like Rock Band. I've been playing Rock band for 2 months now and I swear I played atleast a bit everyday. It all depends on how you like to play games.

Oh and I almost forgot the PS Store. I LOOOOOOVE the store. I enjoy PSN games that sony releases, Rock band DLCs, free demos and trailers.

Oh and I'll add that I never owned a PS2. Thanks to my 60 GB I can enjoy every single PS2 games.

And I love to play games in my room on a 40" HDTV with 5.1 speakers. Amen. PS3 is by far my favorite gaming platform.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 26, 2008
  8. Darkest

Darkest Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HD7950
    ...lol

More reliable? No offense mate, but what have you been smoking? In all the years I've gamed, from the mid 80's, the majority of issues I've had when it comes to reliability are down to PC's. I've never had a single console fail on me, ever. I've had countless driver and compatability issues with PC gaming.

To answer the rest of your question: I don't give a **** about graphics. I care about gameplay. The fact of the matter is, until very recently the majority of good games came out on consoles only. The PS2 in its later life to be exact, and even up until recently it had some damn good games come out on it. Though I will agree when it comes to the 360 - I do not own one simply because of the high failure rate and the fact I can get most of its better releases on the PC.

FPS's are not the only genre of game.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2008
  9. Classic Satch

Classic Satch Banned

GPU:
    2xEVGA GTX 260 216 SC
    Well-said and agreed.

10. bobdude

bobdude Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6gb
    i dont own a 360 or ps3 but i see why ppl buy them for one u dont have to upgrade every time a new game comes out LMAO :smoke:

oh and hett if i was a mod id band u for making anouther gay and pointless thread

11. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    eVGA RTX 2070
    Hett: like what FPS's have you played on Wii? judging by the fact that your first example was Red Steel, which is known to be a rather odd to control game.... i'm guessing some of the others might be Call of Duty 3.... maybe Medal of Honor..... mostly earlier titles? Metroid Prime 3: Corruption looks fantastic, and plays quite well. Some of the boxing games are quite fun.... such as Victorious Boxers: Revolution. I'd MUCH rather play Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi 3 on Wii than any other console, because performing the attacks is almost identical to the show, except for some where in the show they hold their finger/hand/etc... to their forehead, and on Wii, you basically only have to move the remote up into the air, even though putting it to your forehead feels SOOOOO much more like you're actually performing the move you're attempting.

Honestly..... i'd rather have a cheaper, more fun to play console even if the graphics aren't top notch, and a high-end computer with top-notch graphics than try to keep both with top-notch graphics, or strictly going PC or Console. I've had my Wii since it came out.... have quite a few games for it..... just got No More Heroes, and that's yet another fun game. they didn't use the remote's motion sensing for the standard sword swinging, but they used it for the end finishing cuts that spew out a LOT of blood (seriously..... it's like Kill Bill vol. 1 meets anime), and they also use a combination of remote and nunchuck movements to do the wrestling moves, which are also quite fun to do.

Others call it gimmicky..... i just call it a fun way to do things that were done in the past only by using d-pad/joystick movements or simple button combo's.

12. stromchin

stromchin Master Guru

GPU:
    7900GTX
    I'll tell you why i bought a Wii:
    Games made by Nintendo.

You might not like it, but Mario galaxy is an awesome game... and like that, many others made by Nintendo

Of course when I want graphics, i'd never go for a ps3 or a 360.

Actually, games are the biggest reason to buy a console over a pc, not quality (unless you're wrong and think a ps3 has good graphics)
    Yeah, some games get ported to PC, or the other way around, but the games that don't... those matter, at least to me.

13. HETT

HETT Member Guru

GPU:
    HD3850 256MB
    I've never had a pc break down before.. and when you 360 finally hits the sleeping grave you won't have so much faith, while the 360 and ps3 have nice exclusives its not worth the pay... overall i think that the pc has better games anways... no fanboy. i owned most consoles,, pcisbest.

and bob if i was a mod i'd ban you for negative attitude towards a perfectly normal and legit topic...

yeah i love gta, yeah i love re, yeah i love metal gear.. but its not worth the money atleast to me to pay for that/

14. Sprecker

Sprecker Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotech 680 4g
    ^^^:rolleyes: What's with the beating of all the dead horses lately?

15. willvx

willvx Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800GTX 640/1880
    Yeah, I think it's just a matter of personal preference. The reason I'm not too enthused about the 360 for example is because I don't play sports games or racing games for instance. The vast majority (not ALL!) of great games for the 360 are either sports games, racing games, or first-person shooters and the latter two almost always find their way to the PC. Something that is happening more and more frequently.

This is why I advocate a PC for certain gamers. Most AAA titles and not just FPSs this year and beyond will see a PC release. This is a trend that's becoming ever more prevalent -> PC/360/PS3 Check your local release dates for more info...

If you like sports, racing games, FPSs, and don't have the money for a PC, then I'd say go for a 360 or PS3 all the way. And I do agree there are some great games that don't make it to the PC or come as inferior ports, but that's changing quickly.

If you like unique titles like what Big Little Planet brings to the table then you may not want to skip out on a console just yet.

I'm not saying buy a PC over a console emphatically...it's just something to consider based on the types of games you play. A year ago I would've felt different, but things have changed with games like DMC 4, Tom Clancy titles, etc. all coming to the PC.

Like I said, I think this debate is mostly about personal preference and I totally agree with the Wii statements. You just can't have that experience on a PC. So maybe the future lies in specialty consoles??? David Jaffe and others are calling for a one console future, but I have not idea how that's going to work.

Anyways, FWIW, I felt Hett was civil enough...no need to start fighting guys. If you don't like a topic then don't post in it. If a topic needs to be removed it will...that's what we have ACTUAL mods for.

16. bodean

bodean Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 7970
    have a good pc
    have a wii
    considering a 360, but have held off buying it

17. Curtimus

Curtimus Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI HD4870 790/4400
    I have almost every console from Atari 2600 through PS3. And yet my favorite platform is PC. Always better graphics always more choices in genre (RTS on a console?). I have the 360 wireless controller so I usually play 360 games on my PC. Consoles do help get more titles released for everyone though so I would not want to lose them! And playing in person with friends consoles definitely rule! All of my friends are caught up in fanboy wars, but when they see me grab that 360 controller and boot-up my VCR (which is actually gutted and replaced with my HTPC ;) ) to play Bioshock we all understand it's about the games!

18. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    eVGA RTX 2070
    Curtimus: an RTS could be quite easily possible on the Wii. PS3/360 might be a tad harder... using the analog sticks/d-pad to select units. then again, you could hook up a keyboard and mouse to them... but what's the freakin point to that?

stromchin: yeah.... Galaxy was quite good too. far better than Sunshine *gag*. Another game i can't wait for.....

Brawl

GOD i can't wait. sucks that the US release got pushed back a month. good that my Wii is modded, so if i want to i can get the Japanese version until the US version comes out.

19. glutto

glutto Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    The general public doesn't want to mess around with the problems of computers. They want to insert a disc and play. They don't want to download Windows updates, driver updates, research USB problems, rummage through various tech sites for days or weeks wondering exactly what hardware they should upgrade to get decent frames per second while getting a good deal on parts. They hopefully know better than to buy through Dell or HP, through either word-of-mouth or experience, although that is a bit of a stretch... They don't want to spend hours figuring out exactly what all of the video/sound/etc options do in each game and exactly what settings they should use for their exact setup to achieve decent performance.

Strange as it may sound, they just want to play games.

I'm an old-school console gamer (NES), circa 1986. Computer gaming never interested me until Doom in 1993. Since about 1998 I've dedicated equal amounts of time to both PC and console games. I'd like to think I know both sides of this discussion, and hopefully I do.

Graphics aren't the sole consideration for gaming, nor is resolution or FPS.

Merriam-Webster defines "game" as "activity engaged in for diversion or amusement".
    dictionary.com defines "game" as "an amusement or pastime"
    It's not defined as some measuring stick to judge which game looks the prettiest. That has its own definition which I don't feel like looking up right now.

Judge as you will.

20. Pablo

Pablo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Saphire 5870 2g VapourX
    As i got older the consoles tended to end up in the loft etc then given away to the kids,nephews etc.

However the PC always stays with me. Its usefull and can play games when i need it too at a good quality etc. The PC is far more flexible and can do so much more.

I tend too look at consoles as toys these days.

With consoles there built to a cost and are tacky in my opinion.

With a PC it can be as cheap as you like or you can opt for expensive components and build it to a very high quality.

As you grow older youll probably find that gaming wears off a little. (oooh thats open now for all you older console users to moan at me).

Ive nothing major against consoles, its just ive grown out of them, something that you cant really do with a PC.(even a windows based one).

The PC can really pee me off sometimes with problems etc,driver issues etc but it will allways stay.

So horses for courses i guess??

Happy gaming anyway whatever you use.