I crave for help, my GPU is cursed, or something (Rx vega 56)

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Tiron Cristian, Dec 5, 2021.

1. Tiron Cristian

Tiron Cristian New Member

GPU:
    Radeon RX Vega 56
    I'll try to express myself as good as possible since english isn't my natal language !

Ever since I builded my PC I had crashes. The firs time that I booted up my PC and launched far cry 5, I crased in the first cut scene. But at that moment I thought that was normal and I didn't need to worry about anything. It was also the first time I builded a pc ever so, in my mind it could be possible that I've messed up something even if I was with a good friend of mine.

First, I noticed that when I play a game that need a lot of performances, my GPU just shuted down because of overheating probles. Not a single time that thing used the fan incorporated in it to heat down. The fan works just to boot up the pc. After months and months of crashin when playing games as Far cry 5 and DOOM I decided to open the control pannel of my driver and decided to activate and boost up the fan. upload_2021-12-5_18-24-26.png

It was so cool ! Even if the fan made a lot of noise I did not care ! I fixed the overheating problem ! So cool ! ... A day after the manipulation I crashed as well. When booting up the pc, a notification appeard in the bottom of my screen telling me that wattpat setings were restored by default due to some malfunction or whatsoever. Well, I thought to myself that it was because I did something wrong, watched a tutorial, I dit it again as good as possible and one week later a new crash, the same as the first after the manipulaiton.

Since then I tryed undervolting because the same friend told me that this GPU is somehow weird and with undervolting I could have even more fps in games etc. Did exactly that after hours of testing ! Crash ! ! !

Well ... wtf am I supposed to do now ? Searched the internet ! Some people told me that chrome was the culprit, then I played without chrome ! Crash ! I tryed "fixing" my windows 10 with cmd commadnds and some stuff that I didn't even knew existed ! Crash !
    I even crash without doing notginh ! Only by watchin videos on the internet ! WTF ! ! ! !

After that, I told to myself that I was cursed and since I will not buy an other GPU i'd have to crash randomly. Because yes ! Some times, i crash after weeks of playing, other weeks, every single fu****g day I crash.

But today OOOH today, I god pissed of realy bad. For you to know, my pc Crashed when it was booting, the fu**er crashed when the windows logo appeard and was ready to boot ! And also totay, i Had like 10 crashes, one afther the other.

OH ! And it happend two times, but after a crash, the driver dissapeard ! The little sh** uninsatlled itself or something, can't tell you, don't konw...

So my friend told me that it could be the drier's fault, beause AMD has some problems with thoes ! But I can't realy know or eather understant, so please, someone just give me a piece of advide or just tell me what the fu** is happenint. Is there a way to fix this thing, or do I have to be scared that my PC crashes everytime I click on something ...

2. cucaulay malkin

cucaulay malkin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 Ti
    first of all,do you have the psu able to handle a Vega ?
    [​IMG]

second of all,how did you come by this card ? are you sure it's good ?

what sort of crashes are you getting ?

alanm, HD64G and DanielRX like this.
  3. Krteq

Krteq Master Guru

GPU:
    RX Vega 56 +64 BIOS
    Vega user here and I never had such issues.

What are other components in your PC including power supply etc.?

I love this urban legend :D

DanielRX likes this.
  4. reslore

reslore Active Member

GPU:
    ASUS Vega 64
    Vega 64 owner here.

Your overclock / custom fan profile will reset to defaults if the graphics driver or computer crashes for any reason. Just save your custom fan curve and re apply it after this happens. Unplug your computer instead of shutting it down for example with an overclock set and it will automatically reset. It is a safety feature.

I have had issues with graphics drivers crashing due to browser hardware acceleration in the past, usually when also playing 3d demanding game at the same time. Disable hardware acceleration in your browser if you have this issue. I leave mine disabled anyway because my processor can handle the load and I don't use any of the video features like smooth video anyway.

Custom fan profiles can be good to keep things running quiet without a heavy load and ramp up during 3d gaming. If you want to also experiment with undervolting and such, the graphics drivers will crash at some point if your push your hardware, restart if you need to and keep at it. Trial and error is key, it's hard to cause long term damage with an unstable overclock with the saftey measures in place in the hardware and drivers, temperatue limits and voltage limits etc.

5. soky999

soky999 New Member

GPU:
    AMD RX Vega 56 8GB
    HD64G likes this.
  6. Tiron Cristian

GPU:
    Radeon RX Vega 56
    So !

1. I have a Thermaltake Smart RGB, 700W, normally it's enough, don't know what you all think. AMD Ryzen 5 2600 (3.4 GHz) | MSI Radeon RX Vega 56 Air Boost, 8 Go HBM2 (The full "name" of the GPU) | Asus PRIME B450M-A | DDR4 Ballistix Sport LT, Red, 16 Go (2 x 8 Go), 2666 MHz, CAS 16

2. Usually, I get a black screen and can't do a thing, obvious you might say but I can still hear the sound of the game/discord/video. Before, when I firts experienced crashes, it was a big freeze of the whole pc then a black screen with the sound bugged. I suppose that the pc is still running somehow during the crash ? Or maybe it's taking a lot more to shut down the GPU ? I also know that I can still be heard through the mic during the first seconds of the crash, afterwards, I can say whatever I want no frind could hear. I also remarked something during the crash, the leds on the gpu that are supposed to indicate the level of solicitation shut down. But the AMD logo is still red

3. I only overclock fan because otherwise I ged a overheating problem and the gpu just shuts down. Without the overclock the fan is barely working, he's rotating and that's all, just to get the GPU going. And when I overclock the fan, I can pretty much play games unitil I crash. So, if I don't have a random crash during 12 hours of solicitation, I can play the 3D game during thoes 12 hours.

7. rflair

rflair Coleus Staff Member

GPU:
    5700XT
    You have a CPU pulling 400w at max and a GPU pulling 400w at max and a PSU that puts out 650 watts on it 12v rail max, so it is questionable there.
    Your problem sounds like a PSU dying to me.
    Driver problem, no.
    Looking around it seems like your PSU is a low tier part.
    But this is all speculation.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2021
  8. mikeysg

mikeysg Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro+ RX 6900 XT
    I kinda agree with the PSU being something of the Achilles Heel here, I've never trusted Thermaltake PSU's. BTW, is that PSU brand new when you'd put your rig together, or was it from a previous build?

I have a PC VEGA64 Red Devil with a Seasonic X-1250 (bought 6-7 years ago) which I'd gotten to power my then main rig (i7 3960X, Asus Rampage IV Extreme X79, 4x 4GB DDR3 2133MHz) with either CF or SLi (2x GTX Titan, 2x R9 290X and 2x VEGA64) and never had a power related issue.

Oh yeah, the thing about AMD driver causing crashes is more or less an urban myth, I've used AMD/ATi since the good old ATi 9700 Pro days and while the driver have not been perfect (there were some issues years ago) but these days, AMD drivers have been pretty good, not perfect but good notheless.....at least they, haven't killed any GPU's.

Only recent issue I've had with the drivers is, the case of the disappearing Adrenalin Control Panel (I believe after a Windows update) from my recent experience with Adrenalin 21.11.1 and 21.11.3 IIRC. My RX 6900 XT still worked with games, but simply cannot access the Adrenalin Control Panel. Recently installed 21.12.1 and keeping my fingers crossed....

Last edited: Dec 8, 2021
  9. Rÿl OdinSon

Rÿl OdinSon New Member

GPU:
    Radeon RX 6900 XT
    I'm in with the 'PSU problem'

Sometimes it's not the specs of the PSU, they could be just fine, it's just that the unit is slowly 'dying'

I had this problem, not once, but multiples times since I build PCs ... and everytime I tend to blame other components before realizing that, once again, the PSU was dying.

HD64G likes this.
  10. Tiron Cristian

GPU:
    Radeon RX Vega 56
    And this is what could explain the fact that even when I am ONLY watching videos on youtube I crash ?

Is there a way to be sure that it is the PSU that is fu****g my whole game experience ? Or maybe is there a way to "fix" it ? Because even when I undervolted my GPU I still had crashes.

Also, I am in France, and I don't know what PSU I should get, and what the prices are. Because with the COVID I saw GPUS at 1K€ and I don't know if the same thing apply to PSU or other PC components. I am saying that in case I can't "fix" this problem and I need to buy a new one

11. kondziowy

kondziowy Member Guru

GPU:
    RX Vega 64 Nitro LE
    I also have Ryzen 2600 OC @ 4GHz, and Vega64 stock, and I'm pulling 360W max from the wall. So you don't need more wattage, but this PSU is in fact in the "cheap" category. I run Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 650W since 2017 and have no issues (I have 3x8pin for gpu so maybe that helps).

I would try this: (run gpu at stock)
    - turn off hardware acceleration in chrome (I run it on by the way)
    - update Motherboard bios, set RAM settings to default
    - if this doesn't help, turn on any XMP profile for RAM in bios
    - buy PSU from tier A list (650W is minimum, you want to be in the 50% load range for highest efficiency), you can use this psu for years on next builds anyway
    - try replacing every component starting with GPU :)

Last edited: Dec 12, 2021
    HD64G likes this.
  12. CalculuS

CalculuS Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660Ti
    +1 on the psu. Your PSU is a 60 buck at most low tier unit.

HD64G likes this.
  13. Mirko Matic

Mirko Matic New Member

GPU:
    MSIVega56AirBoostOC
    From thermaltake 730w to CoolerMaster V750 gold V2, I change memory, change MB and problem stay. Cinebench test cpu 30min. nothing. Heaven Benchmark 4.0 test gpu on all max 30min. nothing. MemTest 4 pass nothing. But when play game screen off sound stay soom time and long press power to shutdown is only solution.