I caved... Quad GTX 580 UD with new AC waterblocks.. New 990X and new 1500W PSU

Discussion in 'Die-hard Overclocking & Case Modifications' started by Phatboy69, Aug 4, 2011.

1. Phatboy69

Phatboy69 Guest

Wire arrived short of the heavy gauge yellow. 6-8 Day wait! :(
    Cant do much re-cabling unless I can re-use some of the existing cable.
    All the GPU cables use the heavy gauge yellow.

Most PSU's only use 18 AWG for power but I've upsized to 16 AWG to help reduce vdroop. I think the Enermax uses a lot of 16 AWG so I might be alright to at least get started this weekend if I can re-use some of it.

[​IMG]

2. Phatboy69

Phatboy69 Guest

Updated 1st page with list of most of the components with pics. I know I've missed a few things but I'll get to them later!

3. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Looking good i must say:)

4. Phatboy69

Phatboy69 Guest

Did an inventory of the Koolance bits today... Tadah!

[​IMG]

The ramplex manifolds I made I may use, and other manifold bit n pieces... or I may just use the extendable 180o at the back right and do a more simple serial setup for the ram blocks.
    [​IMG]

Quick disconnects, Ill probably be moving most of these away from the MB and GPU's to the Rads and Res now instead, to keep the Mboard looking cleaner. See if I like it or not.
    [​IMG]

Various Adapters, swivel joiners, extendable joiners, and plugs...
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 20, 2011

5. Phatboy69

Phatboy69 Guest

The yellow 16 AWG wire arrived today a bit earlier than expected!
    ProRaid arrived today. It has a higher quality finish than I was expecting.
    SSD carriers arrived today too and expecting 24GB memory later this afternoon.

Now all I need is the shipment from Performancepcs which is due today or tomorrow and the AC blocks which will be at least another 2 weeks. :(

At least I can start on the cabling now!
    I stripped back the existing sleeving from a few PSU cables over the weekend in preparation and also worked out how to make custom length Sata cables! ;)

This is gonna be a BIG job!

6. drac

drac Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    I think there is not a lot of difference between 2x and 4x sli? :3eyes:

7. Phatboy69

Phatboy69 Guest

Sure there is... When you crank up detail and play over 5760x1080! ;)

8. drac

drac Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    lol true

Wall of monitor ftw !

9. Phatboy69

Phatboy69 Guest

ProRaid box showing 4 x 3TB Western Digital WD30EZRX drives.

8.18TB Usable RAID 5.
    Great performance! 176Mb/s read 110Mb/s write over USB3 and 55Mb/s read and write over USB 2.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The PCI slot SSD carriers.
    [​IMG]

The 3 1/2" Bay SSD drive carriers which Im leaning towards using by mounting it on the MB support upright rather than the PCI mount.
    [​IMG]

Colours of the cabling.. not sure why it was important for you to see the colours as Im going to be sleeving it anyway. But there you go.. It will at least be colour coded correctly to the original cables.
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 22, 2011
  10. Phatboy69

Phatboy69 Guest

Shortening SATA data cable!

First GENTLY slit the side of the connector with a sharp blade or knife.
    Take your time!!
    [​IMG]

Gently peel the back part of the connector back and it should slide back and off.
    [​IMG]

Cut the wires where they meet the contacts.
    [​IMG]

Clean the glue off carefully, you may need to very carefully cut up in between the contacts and remove the glue from one contact at a time.
    I found a small pair of wire cutters closed only just firmly around the glue between the black casing and the glue and gently levering it off the contact was the best result. Getting the glue off the SATA cable was much easier but you still need to be careful. The wires are fragile!

Should look like this when finished stripping the glue off.
    [​IMG]

I havent actually resoldered this one, but once youve cleaned the solder off the contacts, cut the cable to the desired length, carefully stripped the wires back and re-tin them before soldering back on the clean contacts.
    This will be the worst part and I recommend a pair of helping hands with 2 adjustable arms and alligator clips from DSE or Tandy to hold everything in place while you solder.

Should look like this before you glue it back together.
    I havent finished this one, but will when I work out where Im mounting the SSD cradles.
    [​IMG]

11. elanman

elanman New Member

GPU:
    Fried GTX 260
    Have you considered using an SSD for even better read and write times?

12. Phatboy69

Phatboy69 Guest

I already have SSD's... You didnt read the thread did you? :) The raid is to replace the internal SATA drives to remove a mass of cables and the drive cradle from inside to clean it up a bit. ;)

13. Phatboy69

Phatboy69 Guest

I wasnt happy with the consistency of the motherboard 24pin so I re-did most of the heatshrink on it. I've also now completed the beast of a cable..

It has the runs sleeved for the other PSU power-on and the Aquaero 5 XT relay. (the long curled up cables)

There were lots of 2-way, 3-way and even 4-way cables.. What a headache!!!!

At least it's all down hill from here, the PCIE's will be a piece of cake after this beastly cable!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. dune2

dune2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce Titan X Aqua
    I just got into the thread now and I must say I am amazed. Great project and great dedication. Usually on these projects, some trade offs are being made. With this one, it is quality all the way!

Thanks for sharing!!!

15. hallryu

hallryu Don Altobello

GPU:
    2x HD7970
    If I ever win the lottery I'm not going to do anything like this.

I like it though!

16. CronoGraal

CronoGraal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI R9 390 8GB
    i want your job. so bad.

17. Phatboy69

Phatboy69 Guest

Hi Guys!

Back from holidays today and my performance pcs shipment has finally miraculously appeared and my replacement motherboard is back.

Cant wait to ditch the bosch staples for the sunbeam PSU mod tool kit! ;)
    Aquacomputer also confirmed my blocks are finally on the way! :D :D

I might get a RevoDrive 3 X2 240GB SSD next week depending on when my Vertex2 SSD RMA's get back. OCZ have confirmed they are replacing them! :thumbup:

18. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
  19. Phatboy69

Phatboy69 Guest

haha funny.. Even the 320GB iodrive is $6500 and its still not as fast as the Revo 3 X2 which is 1/10th the price ;)

20. Phatboy69

Phatboy69 Guest

Tools of the sleeving trade! ;)

[​IMG]

The new sunbeam PSU modding tools above in the tool kit makes life sooo much easier compared to the bosch type 53 11.4mm staples!!

The long lost Performance PCs shipment!

A lifetime supply of MX4, thermal pads, 14 indigo extreme applications and 4 radiator shrouds.

[​IMG]