I cant take it!!!

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by scipio, Apr 23, 2016.

1. scipio

scipio Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Evga 1080 gaming
    I gave my son my old computer, so i have no graphics card and im using my tv as a monitor. Im going to get a monitor later on today but should im conflicted on whether i should buy a 750ti until the new cards come in june, or should i just say screw it and get a 390x. I dont wanna go red.........

2. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    Dont buy anything. Use some cheapo spare GPU you can find and wait for the new cards.

3. scoter man1

scoter man1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070ti
    ^ you're gonna be paying a 2 year old price for a 2 year old card. Not worth it imo. Get one used if you're going to get anything. Maybe buy something cheap and see how far you can push it before it goes :eek:c:

4. Margolis

Margolis Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA 980ti 6GB
    find a used gtx950 or 960 on ebay cheap to hold you for a few months.

5. vase

vase Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    if you dont want to go red, why would you consider buying a 390x then?

6. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 390
    I got my 390 in december, but I certainly wouldn't buy it anymore today. I'd wait for the new offerings since it's no mere regular cosmetic change this time, after all. I can't see how you wouldn't regret it if you paid a full price for the old 28nm generation now.

Unless you need a real card to play MP with your buddies or something, you should either stick to your iGPU or, like has been said, get your hands on some cheap, used card. Maybe some friend of yours has an old, spare card you could use for a few months? You could just play old or indie games until you get a new generation card. Don't we all have some old, unplayed games from Humble bundle or its ilk in our libraries anyway?

7. scipio

scipio Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Evga 1080 gaming
    [​IMG]

shes lonely

:frown:

Last edited: Apr 24, 2016
  8. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti @ 2GHz
    In some places it's actually worse than the prices 2 years ago for various reasons. Some are just plain never drop prices because it has little impact on them, some have little stock, some places have inflation (Canada), or their currency value has actually dropped (Canada again).

Even if a 390X/390/970 is found for a great price it's not worth it considering they're ancient by hardware standards and a new generation is about to be released.

I remember when my 8800 GT couldn't cut it anymore after 8 months, then the GTX 280 I bought after didn't last very long either. Then the HD 6900 I had lasted literally 4 full years because the industry turned into major BS.

A combination of consoles severely holding everything back and nVida/AMD cranking up prices for relative performance. A Titan X gives the relative-to-the-era performance an x80 (or even x70) nVidia card would have given in the past except (even adjusting for inflation) those were $600 or less. I'm positive I bought my GTX 280 for $400 or less when it was the top card available, it wasn't until months later the GTX 285 was released which was just slightly better binned and came with higher clocks. The 280 already used the full blown chip, nothing disabled.

9. scipio

scipio Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Evga 1080 gaming
    no i had a 780ti but its my sons now, im on the intel graphics

i hope i can hold out until june......

10. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    ofc you can. Play something simple on that igpu and save up this couple of months.

11. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti @ 2GHz
    While you wait for a new generation card, you should know that the on-die Intel HD 4000 series GPUs have a lot of overclocking headroom. I was stuck using my on-die HD 4600 for a long while, I got by because I OC'd the hell out of it making it enough to hold 60 fps in potato-level games like League of Legends (with shadows and AA off).

Your RAM speed is 3200, that will also give something of a performance boost compared to old DDR3-1600 since the iGPU will be using system memory.

Edit: The 6700K uses the HD 530, whatever that is, looking up benchmarks now.

Well, looks like a lot faster than the HD 4600, but significantly slower than an Iris Pro iGPU - http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/skylake-intel-core-i7-6700k-core-i5-6600k,4252-9.html

12. scipio

scipio Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Evga 1080 gaming
    Not that it matters but why didnt skylake get iris pro?

13. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti @ 2GHz
    I'm going to guess it was a combination of production costs, die space, and TDP. I know the iGPUs take massive amount of the die space, but I don't know if Iris Pros take more space or power than the crap architecture HD series.

Or it could have just been Intel being their usual greedy selves knowing almost anyone with a 6600/6700K will have a mid/high end discrete graphics card. Iris Pro was made mostly for mobile processors.

14. scoter man1

scoter man1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070ti
    I think they normally restrict it so you can't do something like that. I think it's per generation (or per socket for mobos).

I'm always amazed how old the 970 is, lol. It's my favorite card I've had to date. It really does well.

15. nz3777

nz3777 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 980 Strix
    I like this Guy,shes lonley! Hahaha. That is a nice looking system Btw.

Here is a couple of my suggestions...
    Micro-center
    1) Gtx 760 refurb-$143.99 this will get you by until new cards come out, good for medium/high settings at most games I would sayhttp://www.microcenter.com/product/443053/GeForce_GTX_760_2GB_PCI-e_(Refurbished)_Video_Card

2)Msi Gtx 960-$ 189.99 http://www.microcenter.com/product/443649/GeForce_GTX_960_Overclocked_2GB_GDDR5_Video_Card

3) I know you said you dont wanna go Red but this is one hell of a deal in my opinion -Visiontek Radeon R9 290 refurb-$219.99 http://www.microcenter.com/product/...ctory-Refurbished)_4GB_GDDR5_PCI-e_Video_Card

16. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    I'm in the same boat Scipio.
    Until new batch of GPUs is out, i use the IGP from the 6600k.
    Glad that i am working almost all day and no time for gaming.
    Untill fall, will save money for a nice shiny GPU, red or green.

17. scipio

scipio Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Evga 1080 gaming
    I couldnt take it, went to Santa Clara to get a monitor and bought a 970, its only money. I went to the store that supplies google, no decent amd gpus in stock, all order only.

18. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 390
    That's pretty common in my parts. From Nvidia you immediately find everything up to 980Ti, but from AMD it's only up to 380. If you want something better from AMD, you need to wait. I guess that's what a 20% market share does to a company.

19. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    I always get looked at weirdly when I say that :D

20. creedman7

creedman7 New Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970 4GB OC
    The 970 is a great card. I don't feel bad that I bought one last month. You are right, its only money :) Plus with the way technology changes you would be constantly waiting for something, buy it now and enjoy it. You can always use it on some other build or re-sale it. Heck when the new gpu's come out the 970 will probably drop in price, maybe I'll buy another and go SLI.