I cant believe how much lost potential was in Crysis 2

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by ramthegamer, May 2, 2016.

1. scitek

scitek Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 670 FTW
    Correct.

I think the game is quite good, but there's no denying it suffered from the "Call of Duty effect" design-wise. That's not surprising, though, since Modern Warfare came out the same year as Crysis and sold over 15 million copies to Crysis' 3 milion.

2. twonha

twonha Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 280x
    The logic is probably that Crysis 2 is five years old and people aren't going to keep using spoiler tags indefinitely. At some point, that's going to fade and if one still wanted to preserve a pristine experience, one should either get playing quickly or stay out of discussion threads on the game.

Crysis 1 had some interesting ideas but couldn't keep me entertained for more than a few hours. I never bothered with the sequel. I do wonder though if Crysis 2, as is, could've been a much better game: from what I read it's pretty faithful to what it was supposed to be. It's just not what a Crysis game should be.

3. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    And... then you have people like me.
    The odd ones out, that prefer Crysis 2 over all the other games in the series.

I like the stream lined suit functions, mostly because they actually now feel like what a top end military contract would try to develop.
    The suit in the first game just doesn't seem... actually... practical. Yes, there's a stealth mode, but, you can't run, walk, attack, jump or really do anything other then crawl.
    There's armor mode. But, you'll still die in a few shots.

The suit in the second game actually felt like a "powerful" piece of hardware at your disposal.
    Add in a more stylized art design, which I found much more interesting and engaging. The first game looks gorgeous, but at the same time, looks... at times, boring. The game didn't have an original identity.
    It was all, "Look at this real world location we recreated in the game!"... yay, it's pretty.

The first game I appreciate on a technical level.
    From a purely game focused stand point, Crysis 2 is my favorite in the series.

4. StannieDum

StannieDum Active Member

GPU:
    Nvidia GeForce GTX 980
    He's joking, isn't he? Surely he must be. He's saying a person who hasn't played the game is responsible for having it spoiled because someone else didn't use spoiler tags??

Nah, he can't think like that. Nobody can ... can they? :eek:

5. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    Well, going into a thread dedicated to a game you have not played yourself, you should be cautious of what you could read.

Yes, people should be considerate and never post under the assumption that just because they've played a game, everyone else has.
    It's ignorant to assume such a thing. I have tons of friends who've never played any Crysis game after the first one.

So, it's a misstep for all involved.
    Going into a thread about a game you haven't played, when the thread itself is actually about how the OP feels the game is a missed potential.
    One could assume from that alone, that the story of the game could be one aspect the poster is referring to, and it could be a topic of discussion.

But, at the same time, people should be understanding and thoughtful of the chance that someone will read the thread that has not played the game, and could have something of it ruined for them.

Though. In this case... Alcatraz being the main character of the game, and taking Prophet's suit... isn't really a spoiler.
    As that was laid out in trailers and pre-release material.

6. thatguy91

thatguy91 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 480 RS 4 GB
    It was also grossly mishandled. Wasn't DirectX 11 to start, it was added in a patch. From memory a patch also had upgraded textures but they were still not good. Basically the only way to play is with the latest patches then use MaldoHD. His textures really transformed the game.

7. Jamie T

Jamie T Master Guru

GPU:
    GPU
    I played Crysis 2 for a little bit and I liked it.
    But the FOV made me feel nasty so I removed it, but their was nothing wrong with it's content.
    Think it was pretty advanced at it's time.

I also have Crysis 1, but at the time my PC couldn't handle it lol.
    Now I lost the CD I belief it was either that or it couldn't run on the PC cause it's to new.

Might get Crysis 3 onsale if I have no insperation to buy anything else.

Last edited: May 3, 2016
  8. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800XT GamingX
    Have completed Crysis, Warhead and Crysis 2, still working on Crysis 3.

I find it actually pretty hard to compare C1 and C2, they're so different, almost as if developed by two different studios under the same brand.

C1 is essentially Far Cry with a nanosuit but it also fixes some quirks FC had so in a way hits just the right spot for me.
    Granted C1 becomes more linear towards the end but I didn't mind that too much. Even if it does make the game feel like it has an identity crysis :D
    (damn I'm so funny... not!)

C2 is more action-focused and linear, though it's still basically an open-world RPG compared to CoD...
    I like it and don't. Like the action-packedness, don't like the loss of choice and freedom from C1.

C3 haven't gotten properly into. Have read C3 should be the exact middle ground between C1 and C2 with good balance between linear and open gameplay. Will see.

9. kanej2007

kanej2007 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    Well said. I preferred Crysis & Warhead the best. The other two were ok.

If I had to pick only one Crysis, I'd say Warhead was my favourite becides being very short...

10. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800XT GamingX
    ^ yea Warhead was great. Psycho is the true badass of them all!
    Plus his dialect makes him even more badass. That's a lot of bad ass right there!

Plus Warhead was slightly better optimized than Crysis. Which reminds me I haven't tried if I could max out Crysis NOW (apparently 290X wasn't quite enough yet...).

11. Jamie T

Jamie T Master Guru

GPU:
    GPU
    Crysis 3: The Lost Island any good?

12. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    It's MP only DLC map pack, so I never touched it.

13. kegastaMmer

kegastaMmer Master Guru

GPU:
    strix 1070 GTX
    Define maxxed, btw. And i just played warhead for the 4th time, it just keeps this aching heart warm :3

14. Vinnie

Vinnie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD R9 290X
    The first Crysis is still the best. Crysis 1 has the best graphics and gameplay. I really don't get why they lowered the quality in the sequals..

15. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Duke GTX1080Ti
    For me, the original Crysis is the best of the series by far and one of the best FPS ever made! The sequel is pretty forgettable...

The game had a lot of potential but it went out the window the moment they decided to release the game for consoles, downgrading it in every aspect...

16. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Stryx Rx 580
    It was like they were forcing the pc gamer with what was for them at the time the best business to do because of how console sales have gone up, they didnt even consider the pc gamer and a slap in the face for us all im talking gameplay perspective leave graphics aside as graphics wise it is very artsy and georgous to look at, but look at the gameplay....nothing else to say.i mean imagine crysis 2 in an open new york city, enough said.

Last edited: May 3, 2016
  17. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 3050 Ti
    Still his right, but i doubt no one has played it but who knows some haven't and read this thread.

18. cerebus23

cerebus23 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    There is a statute of limitations on spoilers and certainly several years covers it, if you never played and for some reason might want to play after all this time than maybe you should not be peeping threads on it.

Shoddycast did a video on spoilers other day after people freaking out about him showing a bit of the first tutorial area boss in dark souls 3 something that has been in 100 videos already.

Like get a damn grip on the OMFG spoilers stuff.

19. Xtreme512

Xtreme512 Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070 Ti
    It was good, yes. new maps like the first crysis and new weapons. but now you cant find people to play with.

20. kanej2007

kanej2007 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    Yes it definitely was slightly more optimized. Even though I've finished Crysis & Crysis Warhead many times, I plan to upgrade my GPU to a GTX 970 & a 2k monitor and hopefully max them and I'm happy enough to get 60 fps. :)