I can not get ANY game to launch at 120hz on my 6700XT

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Kali' go GRR, Mar 19, 2023.

1. Kali' go GRR

Kali' go GRR Member Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 6800XT
    Hello,

I have been having this problem since I got the card, it's the same on W10 and 11.

Let's take BF2042 as ONE example.

I have my desktop set to 1440p 120hz which is native.

When I launch BF2042, in the settings it says 1440p 120hz as one woulld expect, as it was set by me.

This is a lie though - it's actually 1440p 60hz.

To resolve this, I have to select 60hz and apply, which does nothing. Then, select 120hz, which causes the screen to properly change to 120hz and all is well - I have to do this every single time I launch ANY game and that's if I am lucky that the game has such an option.

I have tried changing HDMI cable, changing ports, changing from W10 to 11 and messing about with google and short cuts for days n days inc formatting 5-6 times with every variation of doing absolutely nothing but plain installs, etc etc etc, etc.

Any ideas?

I can't even find a way to just delete the ENTIRE EXISTANCE of 60hz, to see if that helps.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2023
  2. Kali' go GRR

Kali' go GRR Member Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 6800XT
    UPDATE: Sorry it seems I can get one to work, Rage 2 - flawless.

The 30 minutes I played and launching it all goes absolutely beautifully.

It is such a HUGE pleasure when something 'Just works'

3. endbase

endbase Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX4070 OC
    Are you using 3th party software to set the Hz ? I think so because you set it in games? Windows is where it should be set to work for every game. I guess your monitor has a menu can you check the settings in the menu?

4. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    I could be wrong but i don`t think Windows sets the refresh rate correctly when using native settings.

Have you tried using Nvidia control panel to see what`s the refresh rate recognised by the driver?

5. Kali' go GRR

Kali' go GRR Member Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 6800XT
    Thanks guys I am at 1440p 120hz in Windows. I have actually tested this at blurbusters I think but all games seem to launch at 60hz even after formatting. I will get a video up later.

Most games allow you to set resolution and refresh rate.

6. Kali' go GRR

Kali' go GRR Member Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 6800XT
    No

I do also have a Series X on the same display and have never had one single issue EVER using 120hz VRR on ANY game be it 60FPS or 120FPS. So I think my display is fine which is the Samsung 65nu8000

7. sirAIfred

sirAIfred Guest

GPU:
    1660 SUper
    If you have already confirmed that your monitor is set to 1440p 120hz in Windows, then it's possible that the issue lies with the individual games and their settings.

Some games may not automatically detect the correct refresh rate of your monitor and may default to a lower rate, causing the issue you're experiencing.

To fix this, you can try manually setting the refresh rate in each game's video settings. Make sure to double-check that the settings are actually being applied and that the game is running at the correct refresh rate.

If the issue persists, you can also try updating your graphics card drivers to the latest version or contacting the game's support team for further assistance.

8. FatBoyNL

FatBoyNL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Suprim X
    Samsung 65nu8000 does not happen to be 'native' 1440p monitor. So I think it's your display/hardware compatibility.
    Just try another display to be sure.

9. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090 TUF OG OC
    *raises hand* Samsung 65nu8000 owner here, and I've also spent many hours trying to get 1440/120 and/or Freesync working without any luck. No clue if I can help but I'm willing if needed! More answers can be good. :D

Kali' go GRR likes this.
  10. DirtyDee

DirtyDee Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 4090 Gaming
    Change fullscreen to borderless within BF2042's in-game settings. Doing so will keep your monitors resolution & refresh rate at it's native values every time you load the game.

I noticed this bug when I bought a new monitor that has an built in upscaler. It kept reverting to 4K 120Hz when it should be 1440P 240Hz.

11. FatBoyNL

FatBoyNL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Suprim X
    @Kali' go GRR Any progress yet? Same issue when using borderless windowed and such?

12. Kali' go GRR

Kali' go GRR Member Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 6800XT
    That's gotta be devastating.

Mine works brilliantly 'when it works'

Rage 2 works absolutely flawlessly. Fullscreen, 1440p, 120hz, 116FPS cap with FreeSync.

FLAWLESS. I imagine there are more like this.

Several other games work great but I have to do the either switching freesync off/on after I've launched the game or changing vsync on/off or general messing about. Doom 2016, Doom Eternal, Middle Earth Shadow or War, BF2042, Batman Arkham Knight, there's more but they all launch fkd up and work either perfectly or very well. Even Crysis 3 remastered oddly, oh that one does actually work right from launch.

Others, simply either run like hot garbage (BFV absolute hideous stuttering crap show) or are just not working as they should in one way or another.

I have BFV on Series X and have put in 100's of hours at 120hz 120FPS with FreeSync and it's nothing short of a beautiful experience. Pretty sure my display is fine.

13. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 GB GamingOC
    I had a similar issue with my 240hz screen but doing the same only working @120hz. All i did was replace the HDMI cable for a DisplayPort cable and this solved my issue.

Kali' go GRR and endbase like this.
  14. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900xtx Black
    Download CRU, delete the all 60hz entries for any resolution. And then just keep any that are above 60hz.

I had to do this when my ultrawide was 75ghz but my side panels were 60hz in an eyeinfity setup. The ultrawide would be 75hz while side monitors were 60hz and it was awful.
    Deleted 1920x1080 60hz and added 1920x1080 75hz and all was well.

This works for single monitors as well. On my super wide for my main rig, 60hz is deleted. I just have 5120x1440 @ 75hz, 100hz, and 120hz.

Maddness and Kali' go GRR like this.
  15. Kali' go GRR

Kali' go GRR Member Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 6800XT
    Many thanks guys, I will defo try this

16. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900xtx Black
    Your welcome. Hope it works.