I can feel the difference between 290, 290X

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by AcidSnow, Jun 11, 2014.

1. AcidSnow

AcidSnow Master Guru

GPU:
    VisionTek R9 290X
    I was a nay-sayer about recommending a 290X over a 290 (due to price). ...However after owning a stock PowerColor 290, and a Sapphire Tri-X OC 290 [which was INFINITELY quieter than a stock 290], I have to say that my stock VisionTek 290X is noticeably better than my previous two 290's.

I can now easily play BF4 at 200% Super Sampling. Or 150% Super Sampling with 4XMSAA. ...Even though I'm only running my i7 920 CPU @ 2.8Ghz (nearly stock).

Since I'm playing at 1080p, I don't have everything at Ultra, but still. The 290X (which I bought for $315 used via EBay) is noticably better than my previous two 290 cards (except that the Tri-X was WAY more quiet than either a stock 290/X).

NOTE: I think my MoBo is failing on me, because I can't seem to OC my CPU/RAM anymore, so yeah, might be time to get a new rig and keep this 290X :wanker:

Last edited: Jun 11, 2014
  2. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC
    No FPS numbers?

3. AcidSnow

AcidSnow Master Guru

GPU:
    VisionTek R9 290X
    With the settings I'm using below, I'm getting about 15 to 25 more FPS with the 290X than with my previous 290.

I'm playing BF4 using a FOV of 60 (not the standard 70 degrees) for more accurate aiming. No motion blur because it makes things harder to see when looking around. No HBAO because it looks dirty. No AA because it adds blur. And no post processing because it obscures vision when shooting!

...Thus I figured I'm in the minority, since everyone customizes their settings to their preference. Most people don't know what half the settings in the game do and they just ignorantly leave everything @ Ultra.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2014
  4. IcE

IcE Don Snow Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1070 Mini
    Lol, what? You're telling me you're not even maxing the game and you can notice a difference? Get out of here.

5. AcidSnow

AcidSnow Master Guru

GPU:
    VisionTek R9 290X
    I'm using the same settings I've always used, but now I can up the Super Sampling, and MSAA. ...The 290X is clearly delivering more power than what the 290 was giving me; that is all.

6. smartdroid

smartdroid Member

GPU:
    R9 290
    Was that DX11 or mantle?

7. AcidSnow

AcidSnow Master Guru

GPU:
    VisionTek R9 290X
    I'm rolling with Mantle. Getting 15 to 25 more FPS than I was using a regular 290. I'm happy with the upgrade, despite not being "Ultra" everywhere. If you can get a 290X for a reasonable price (i.e. ~$300) then it is a massive win for gaming... Even when paired with an older CPU, it shows noticeable gains. I'm a happy gamer :)

8. ---TK---

---TK--- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
  9. moheban79

moheban79 Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6970 - 2GB Trifire
    How does Wolfenstein feel?

Was wondering how does Wolfenstein New order feel? On my old 920 oc'd to 3.8ghz it runs like crap on my 280X. On my other machine a 4670K and 770GTX it runs like its on fire!

Very curious to compare notes... I'm thinking of returning the 280X if not too late..

Thanks.

10. IcE

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1070 Mini
    AMD's drivers have always been terrible with OpenGL games. Rage engine games are no exception.

11. AcidSnow

AcidSnow Master Guru

GPU:
    VisionTek R9 290X
    I know the benchmarks don't show the 290X being too much faster than the 290, but it is now much easier to max out Super Sampling to 200% (with the settings I'm using). The difference is very noticeable on a all the BF4 maps that used to give me problems before. I wasn't able to go above 175% SS before, but now 200% is a total breeze. I'm actually pretty impressed with the card, but not if I had paid MSRP for it.

12. moheban79

moheban79 Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6970 - 2GB Trifire
    Make a difference..

So if I get a 290X it wont make a difference with Wolfenstein? Tigerdirect approved a return for the 280X. Its actually an XFX 280X Black Edition. Just played Dead Space 3 and it was smoooth!

Anhow OpenGL sucks! Any platform thats one gpu sided is bad..

PS: Acid - Whats your 3dMark Vantage Firestorm score?

Last edited: Jun 14, 2014
  13. IcE

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1070 Mini
    It really wont make much of a difference. If you want proper OpenGL performance, Nvidia is really the way to go.

14. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
  15. AcidSnow

AcidSnow Master Guru

GPU:
    VisionTek R9 290X
    Sorry, I don't have that program :\ I just got into the BF Hardline Beta, and I gotta say, I don't think I like the game very much. Maybe I'm just tired of BF in general though, I won't be buying the game that's for sure.

16. smartdroid

smartdroid Member

GPU:
    R9 290
    It's pretty hard to believe that you can get such a difference where in all benchmarks I've seen there is only a slight difference. Hell from my R9 280X to a R9 290 there isn't that much of difference and i have both. Your just being biased or not very scientifically about it :)

17. AcidSnow

AcidSnow Master Guru

GPU:
    VisionTek R9 290X
    Oh the dif is def there. Something about the 1080p I'm using + game settings + SS it just works perfectly. ...You know that one level that floods with water when the dam is broken? I used to dip below 40fps in areas at 200% SS easily. But now it's smooth as butter... Which is really odd, because I tried playing Hardline, and was getting inconsistent results (granted they are diff games, but I'd easily say Hardline looks worse than BF4).

18. moheban79

moheban79 Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6970 - 2GB Trifire
    Acid overclock that mofu!

Acid,

Why don't you try overclocking that 920 of yours?!

Anyhow I did a lot of research into the differences in fps between a 280x and a 290x. Saw that there is as much as a 40 percent difference. Only thing that concerns me is the heat output into your case thus raising your cpu temps. But if your going to invest in technology might as well get a 290 or 290x vs a 280x. As long as your fine with mantle supported games. I like to have both sides represented anyhow with a card from either side. More powerful the better as I have less trust in SLI or crossfire than in the past. Especially crossfire.

19. IcE

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1070 Mini
    That really indicates to me that your 290 wasn't working as it should have, not that the 290X is that much better.

20. ---TK---

---TK--- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    The bench I posted showed only a slight advantage with the 290x. Maybe your 290 was on its last legs when you bought it used.