I am sad about the 2080 Ti

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Lynart, Sep 19, 2018.

1. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    the prices on nvidia's site are for Founder's Editions, which were quoted to be higher than the prices you listed as base. So, 600,800, and 1200 are correct numbers.

Still not buying one. ;)

2. SpookySkeleton

SpookySkeleton Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090
    i ordered mine, will come monday 15 probably, the pny one, gotta see if the change is worth, i came from a 1080, i've already seen some videos with games and dlss on, seems the dlss iq is the same as txaa, blurry textures but with less motion blur and fixing the jags on transparent textures like grass and hair, really impatient to see how it looks in real life, and how performs.

And funny fact, the 1080 non ti is getting more popular than 1070ti and 1080ti in steam hardware survey this month, probably a lot of people is buying one used, i sold mine almost instantly.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2018
  3. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    Well I'm not rich or stupid enough to buy cards at launch without even seeing benchmarks. I wait 6-12 months when new revisions appear and prices go down. Unfortunately that's not happening now days.

4. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit GameRock 2080
    Nvidia only sell the FE cards directly from their website and they do it at MSRP. AIB cards are sold by other retailers. Sometimes for inflated prices. Guess you want to blame Nvidia for that too?

5. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit GameRock 2080
    Alright, so your "good old days" when you could buy flagships for $300 actually meant you could buy a mid range card for $450 on release, or for $300 a year later. Cool

6. Dagda

Dagda Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 super
    Gotta love the internet people who says "you hate them because you can't afford them".

Ah the logic of the true medium-low class peasants.

Solfaur and AsiJu like this.
  7. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    The 7990 was a dual-GPU card and comparable to the GTX 690, which was priced similarly. If Nvidia offered a dual-GPU Turing card for $999 then it might actually be worth it. Instead, they offer a card that is 30% faster than a 1080 Ti for 70% more, and you're wondering why everyone is upset?

As an enthusiast and a 4K gamer, the 2080 Ti absolutely does not meet my standards - for 70% more I expect at least 70% more performance (to accept anything less is to accept a regression in my buying power).

AsiJu likes this.
  8. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800XT Gam. X
    Exactly, double the price = double the performance or bust.

The performance increase from Pascal to Turing is adequate (not great).
    The price increase is laughable.

Yes, neat Turing has RT and Tensor but so what if it costs that much, it's still a consumer product.

Same if I installed all sorts of nice but expensive gadgets to my Nissan and sold it for double price.
    No one would buy it because it would be too expensive for what it is (Nissan).

Maddness likes this.
  9. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit GameRock 2080
    Nissan also make the GTR. You put the right mods on that and the price goes up.

We're not exactly slapping extra tech onto a gtx 1030 here.

Also... Nobody would buy it? Thing is, people are buying the 2080ti.

BangTail likes this.
  10. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    I think early adapters are looking to take advantage of DLSS to offload Antialiasing to allow more raster compute for gaming, esp for 4K users. Also, I think they are banking on NV and devs optimizing RT for better performance. I hope it works out for them.

Maddness likes this.

11. Dagda

Dagda Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 super
    true true, my bad, is just some comments i've read on the internet regarding the new gpus, reminded of people defending the new iphone xr, a phone that is not even 720p but cost 800, and yet you see the usual comments as if you don't buy it it's because you are poor, but well compared to that buying an overpriced rtx card seem even a good deal, at least an rtx 2080ti can do some 4K and 60 fps on some games meanwhile the iphone xr is really a waste of money.

But well let's see this beta testers of this tech how they do, some series you should skip, like maxwell in my case, going from a 780ti to a 1080ti was a incredible jump on performance, i just wanted to taste that again, i think i've spoiled a little myself in pascal era.

BangTail and Dynarush_333 like this.
  12. Bond!JamesBond!

Bond!JamesBond! Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080
    Silicon is tapped out, this is the idle era for CPU/GPU. We need Graphene to come soon.
    2080 is a 1080 and a joke.

13. BangTail

BangTail Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    Yah, the fact is that plenty of people who don't have the money will be buying them (via credit) and plenty of people who have more than enough to buy 10 of them won't because they don't feel it is a worthwhile upgrade.

Anyone who uses a situation like this to berate others based on their assumed financial situation is patently pathetic.

There is no denying, these cards are overpriced and RTX/DLSS are a feature lottery that may or may not stand the test of time.

On the flip, they are the first cards to provide a 4K/60FPS experience and they do that now, not down the road.

If anything that is the most prominent selling point (for the moment).

Lynart likes this.
  14. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    Some more bad news for GPU buyers:

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/09/27/tru...-to-hit-amd-nvidia-gaming-graphics-cards.html

""PC gamers will likely see increased prices on graphics cards with the implementation of this (10%) tariff, an unfortunate side affect of the continued policies of the Trump administration," Shrout wrote in an email Monday. "This is unfortunate timing for NVIDIA as it was already under pressure for the prices of its new RTX product family, and it is unlikely that it or its partners will simply absorb the added costs of the tariff."

Nvidia's RTX gaming card line was launched last week. Bank of America Merrill Lynch told its clients Monday the Trump tariffs could temporarily raise prices for the company's new RTX cards by 5 percent to 10 percent in the coming months. When contacted by CNBC, several other Wall Street analysts were unaware that the graphics cards would be affected by the tariffs."

TBH we won't see this, as resellers are already gouging buyers on the pricing. :D

cryohellinc likes this.
  15. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1070ti 2126/4350
    Are these tariffs going to affect Americans only or Europe as well? Since Nvidia is an American company it will affect the whole supply chain?

16. BangTail

BangTail Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    It should technically only affect the USA.

-Tj- likes this.
  17. darrenj

darrenj Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3080
    I don't hate the 2080ti. I just can't afford them. I thought the 1080ti was expensive! I think my neighbour has one, so I have two choices: wait till the next gen comes out, hop over this one OR
    turn my neighbour into a crack head so he could sell me his 2080ti really cheap.

-Tj- and Solfaur like this.
  18. Vibe

Vibe Master Guru

GPU:
    1080 gtx
    I need a new laptop more than a GPU anyway. I find myself playing games less and less as I age. I just feel 'meh' about it all.

19. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    Meth is a lot cheaper and easier to get....since you ARE on a budget. ;)

darrenj likes this.
  20. SerotoNiN

SerotoNiN Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080
    Wait another month or two and grab a 1070 GTX - based laptop. They're dropping. Amazon has an alienware @ $1499 for a 1070 GTX laptop. That's really good for the performance. And if you grab a 15 inch monitor, 1080 gaming will look great and help the 1070 stay relevant longer, especially with another year (at least) of current gen console ports.