1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I am sad about the 2080 Ti

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Lynart, Sep 19, 2018.

1. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 Ti GAMING X
    Sorry but I have to disagree. I got the 1080Ti at launch and it was/is one of the best GPU investments I've ever made. Not only did it stand the test of time (1.5 years and still going) value wise, but also performance is still up there with the big boys. I doubt we'll be able to say the same of the 2080Ti in 2 years from now...

2. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    RTX 2070FE
    Why not? Flagship cards like this usually last no problem. Hell even the Titan series lasted awhile and still could even today. 980 ti keeps up with the 1070, 780 ti keeps up with the 970, and the 1080 ti keeps up with the 2070 no problem. High end performance cards like this aren't made with value in mind, but high end performance. Now yes one could say buying high end cards like these are future proofing your rig, but honestly even a 970 could play 1080p and 1440p games no problem still. Not as much post processing, but still a card that's playable with decent settings and performance.

BangTail and tensai28 like this.
  3. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 Ti GAMING X
    Except the 2080Ti costs almost double what the 1080Ti was at launch and it no way, shape or form puts up the equivalent performance improvement, with its main selling point - ray tracing - still not being available in any title. I get what you are trying to say, price/performance doesn't matter much in high-end, but the 2080Ti is so ridiculously overpriced that it does, at least for me. And I've been buying high end cards each generation consistently since the 8800Ultra days, yet I simply can't bring myself to do so with Turing.

The1, Darren Hodgson and fantaskarsef like this.
  4. BangTail

BangTail Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    Ray Tracing certainly was not the main selling point for me and I think you'll find that is the case for a great many people.

I'm not even interested in RT tbh, it's not going to be viable this generation unless you want to play at 1080P.

It's not what he is trying to say, it's what he is saying - that metric (price/performance) is moot at this level, the fastest gear is going to cost you, this is nothing new.

I understand that the 2080 Ti is a 'bridge too far' for many people but many people would tell you that $799.00 was a ridiculous price for a video card but you still spent it on a 1080 Ti (me too btw).

It's all subjective at the end of the day, these cards will reliably give you a 4k/60FPS experience, and that is why they are in demand imho, nothing to do with RT (or very little).

tensai28 likes this.

5. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 390/GTX1070M
    @BangTail Let's face it: The current price model is solely based on what NVIDIA believes the market will bear, and not on any percentage above cost, due to the heavily inflated pricing that the GPU market has had over the last year. And NVIDIA wants the lion's share instead of the retailers getting it.

Based on the miner craze, it was demonstrated that customers were willing to pay $1K+ prices for high end, and now NV is being opportunistic at our expense. Too bad the mining bubble burst, and those customers willing to pay those prices no longer exist.

The sad part are the fanbois who will rationalize NV's money play and come up with excuses for their greed. Does anyone really think Turing cost SOOOO much in R&D to warrant this huge price jump? Not. At $800 a card, which you mentioned before, NV still made plenty of profit on that sale, based on their annual earning reports.

Heck, they did very well at $699 for top end.... This is price gouging, pure and simple. And they know that the retailers will still fluff up the pricing.

Solfaur likes this.
  6. BangTail

BangTail Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    I don't know if you are referring to me when you use the word 'fanboi' but I am anything but.

I don't like paying $1200.00 USD but it's what they cost, you either pay the money for the card or you don't, it's not an emotional decision.

Emotion and price/performance factor way too much into the equation for some people.

You can get as upset as you like, it will change nothing (not you per se, just in general).

And again, whether it cost them that much in R&D or not is largely irrelevant, as you say, they are charging what the market will bear.

As an aside, I think 'price gouging' is a term that is being used out of context here.

Price gouging is usually associated with people hiking prices on necessities during a time of crisis.

You don't need to have a 2080 Ti, you won't starve or die without one :p

7. Lynart

Lynart Member

GPU:
    Geforce 670
    Just gotta say, this is a really flawed comparison.

You can spend $30,000~ for a GSXR1000R and it will destroy 99% of all supercars in a straight line. Cornering becomes subjective to the operator so I won't go into that.

And if you really want to destroy literally every single supercar, there is the Kawasaki H2R at $60,000~

So in terms of performance value, a Lambo, Ferrari, Mclaren, and others are good comparisons to the horrible performance/price ratio of the 2080 Ti.

8. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    From what I've seen, it will dip below 60 FPS in certain scenarios and settings. It is a better 4K/60 card than a 1080 Ti, but not the perfect or ideal one.

IMO, people are not buying a 2080 Ti for its performance - they are simply buying it for their e-peen. It is a vanity purchase, like any other vanity purchase - done only to satisfy one's ego and pride.

9. warlord

warlord Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Null
    Most people buying RTX series are gamers I suppose. Even if the half of them are benching only or epeening it's their call.

But they have any right to enjoy the fluidity and frames they deserve. It is not their fault that 10 series are trash for now and the future. OK, 20 series are not perfect but why the flame? Are console peasants who change every gaming model and TV less egoists?

10. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 390/GTX1070M
    My 4K performance is very much a serious issue, and should be declared a crisis. :)

fantaskarsef, Solfaur and BangTail like this.

11. BangTail

BangTail Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    I hear ya :D

12. tensai28

tensai28 Maha Guru

GPU:
    2080ti MSI X TRIO
    I have games that couldn't keep 60fps with my 1080ti at 4k that now do. Nothing wrong with that. I sold my 1080ti, got a decent amount back and only had to pay half the price for the 2080ti. Also got a free MSI vigor GK80 and clutch gm70 with my purchase. My card is running at over 2ghz and I've yet to see a frame drop on really anything. People getting drops below 60 are probably setting AA too high, have other system issues or are running FE cards without overclocking.
    This would be true maybe if the performance was actually bad and all the buyers were around 13 years old.

BangTail and insp1re2600 like this.
  13. BangTail

BangTail Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    All analogies aside, it really doesn't matter.

The cards cost what they cost, regardless of what a car, a yacht or a nuclear submarine costs.

You either buy them or you don't.

This whole debate has become stale as I think most everyone here agrees that they are overpriced but luxury items are always overpriced (that's why they are luxury items).

I think the point some of us have been making by using expensive cars as an example is that you don't walk into the Ferrari showroom expecting to walk out with a car for under a certain amount of money and similarly, you don't expect to pick up the world's fastest GPU without paying a premium.

14. JaxMacFL

JaxMacFL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Jedi Titan XP
    You don’t buy an RV travel coach if you are worried about the price of gas.

insp1re2600 and BangTail like this.
  15. CrazyGenio

CrazyGenio Master Guru

GPU:
    Msi rtx 2080ti trio
    The only reason i buy nvidia is because amd fanboys are more annoying and salty, they love showing how their gpus are better than their nvidia counterparts in any way possible, they don't even realize their gpu come way later and they need to catch up with drivers several months after their release, i was not going to buy a nvidia card in a long time, and have my 1080 run at least 2 more years, but after visiting some forums and reading some stuff, i going to purchase a 2080ti with a happy face.

16. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC
    What sort of logic is this?

Darren Hodgson and BangTail like this.
  17. BangTail

BangTail Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    Well, his name is 'CrazyGenio', I guess we shouldn't be surprised ;)

fantaskarsef likes this.
  18. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 390/GTX1070M
    I feel salty

fantaskarsef likes this.
  19. JaxMacFL

JaxMacFL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Jedi Titan XP
    Stay frosty. :>)