1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I am sad about the 2080 Ti

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Lynart, Sep 19, 2018.

1. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti @h2o
    Probably because miner's demand dropped somewhat, and gamers wouldn't buy their old CPUs. Dropping revenue might have given them the idea to rush a product, who knows for sure what goes on inside Jensen's head ;)

cryohellinc and tunejunky like this.
  2. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    980TI Gaming
    hehe, he got used that the cards were overpriced, and were out of stock until the mining craze went down.

tunejunky and fantaskarsef like this.
  3. tunejunky

tunejunky Master Guru

GPU:
    RadeonVII gtx1080ti
    imo, Jen freaked and ordered an additional production run that he shouldn't have. there were signs of the mining craze softening before it fell flat.
    he should have done nothing. but there is an intense pressure from shareholders and market analysts for short-term results. which when you play to them leave you exposed as the market is a fickle beast. the fact is simple (as Nvidia doesn't fab) that Nvidia (after making too much) should've applied the lower cost of production to the product.

4. TheKid76

TheKid76 Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    I am saving up for the Galax GTX 2080 TI HOF - Upgrading my 1080 TI HOF

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

tunejunky and Maddness like this.

5. tunejunky

tunejunky Master Guru

GPU:
    RadeonVII gtx1080ti
    who could blame you for lusting after that?
    it gives me visions of white-out builds.
    but it won't be a good investment (like most of us care)

6. SiMallV719

SiMallV719 New Member

GPU:
    Rtx2080ti
    I will skip this gen and see what the next gen has to offer?

7. Lynart

Lynart Member

GPU:
    Geforce 670
    I am the TC, I have an Oculus Rift. I use it to train playing simulations like PCars2 or Assetta Corsa during winter because I race motorcycles during warm weather.

I want the 2080 Ti for 3440x1440 + 4k + VR. The value simply isn't there. Less projection dude.

8. Shadowdane

Shadowdane Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX2080Ti
    Yah I don't think anyone expected the Ray Tracing stuff in the consumer video cards. The Ray Tracing and Tensor cores take up a lot of real estate on the GPU die.

I think we ended up sacrificing a lot in performance in traditional graphics to get these RT features. And on top of that paying a premium for the RT features that will only supported in a few games and most likely won't run the best until a few generations from now!

Honestly I think the Ray Tracing stuff should have just stayed on the Titan cards for this generation and waited maybe 2-3 generations down the line to implement it into the consumer cards.

Dynarush_333 and tunejunky like this.
  9. rogue221979

rogue221979 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 2070 GTX
    I don't l don't know what to do at the moment.

I currently have a 1070. I use VR about 90% of the time specifically for sim racing Rfactor 2, Pcars, Assetto corsa, iracing as well as flight siming for DCS world, and elite dangerous. I can't play these tiles without VR, so could use the performance boost since SLI VR does not exist and pairing 2 1070s is out of the question.

I suppose I could just get a 1080TI and burn the rest towards a new motion seat. I'm already doing a new platform on top of it all anyway.

What a shitty time for PC gaming. :(

Last edited: Oct 22, 2018
  10. rogue221979

rogue221979 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 2070 GTX
    Not talking about the 1080ti, I'm speaking in general. There's a few other small niche components that are going thru the same pains of not having any competition and being over priced is all.

As for the 1080ti, I'm about to purchase 2 of them actually. :)

11. Alberto

Alberto Master Guru

GPU:
    2080 Ti Lightning Z
    I'm happy about 2080Ti :D 2k 144hz Ultra setting in Shadow of The Tomb Raider
    [​IMG]

12. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti Gaming X
    Rumor says that AMD won't go for the top segment which is very bad news and just let's nVidia charge us 2000€ for the 3080Ti. Intel should have it's card out in 2020, hopefully it's powerful enough to push nVidia down from it's throne.

In Sweden the cheapest 2080Ti costs 1257€ as of this writing.
    It's the Palit 2080Ti Dual, not sure how good it is. Could be hot, noisy and OC badly for all I know.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2018
    Solfaur and fantaskarsef like this.
  13. tunejunky

tunejunky Master Guru

GPU:
    RadeonVII gtx1080ti

yikes...Sweden is beautiful, but tech is crazy expensive there.
    a couple of things... the AMD mid-market card (Navi) will outperform the 2070 at a far lower cost and with free-sync. it may well be better, but i don't know about that. i expect two SKUs like Vega 56/64.
    the Navi gpu is in production right now. and if you don't care for bleeding edge (fps wise) but want a great all around performer @ 1440p and (not maxed out) 4k it may be the card for you.
    all of the high end GPUs from AMD, starting 2019 will be multi-module (chiplet/SoC) as the scaling of the architecture was Job 1. there will be NO range of performance they cannot achieve at lower cost/power. of course the limitation being what the market wants.

14. tensai28

tensai28 Maha Guru

GPU:
    2080ti MSI X TRIO
    I guess maybe next time you travel you could buy tons of pc parts. It's expensive to import them too?

15. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti Gaming X
    I'm sure AMD will thrive in the mid-segment which is a good thing for them since that's where the money is. After all only a few percent buy cards for more than 800€ but if you have a 3440x1440 monitor like me, good hardware is needed.

Well if I buy from outside EU, Swedish VAT might be applied which is another 25% so that's probably not a good idea.

fantaskarsef likes this.

16. DW75

DW75 Maha Guru

GPU:
    ROG GTX1080 Ti OC
    In Canada, the RTX 2080 Ti costs 1650 plus tax. After tax, that is 1850 Canadian. For people in the US, paying 1200 for one of these is a joke. For people in Canada, paying 1850 is something that virtually no one here is willing to do. Nvidia is out of control.

Lynart, The1, AsiJu and 1 other person like this.
  17. GREGIX

GREGIX Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080 /AMD v7
    Solfaur likes this.
  18. angelgraves13

angelgraves13 Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti FE
    Yikes...I hope they sorted out the issue with the delay.

19. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 Ti GAMING X
  20. angelgraves13

angelgraves13 Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti FE
    Well if my 2080 Ti FE that arrives tomorrow has issues then I'll get a refund.

Might just have to wait for 7nm