I am sad about the 2080 Ti

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Lynart, Sep 19, 2018.

1. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1070ti 2126/4350
    Dark times are ahead. GN breaks it down pretty well.

cryohellinc likes this.
  2. Maddness

Maddness Maha Guru

GPU:
    3080 Aorus Xtreme
    That just sounds nasty. I'm wondering if it will have an affect on other countries if goods pass through the US on there way.

3. fr33k

fr33k Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA XC3 Ultra 3080
    i ask this same question, the STRIX is the only 2080 to not be in stock for more than a week since release at US retailers. They must have bugs in the BIOS or some error in manufacturing.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2018
  4. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    Or they ran out of chips

5. Maddness

Maddness Maha Guru

GPU:
    3080 Aorus Xtreme
    That is the smart move if you don't really need an upgrade right now.

jbscotchman likes this.
  6. Jagman

Jagman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT Pulse
    ^ Don't give in and let them have the satisfaction of ripping you off! Just think how much other PC tech you can get for $1500.

AsiJu and Venomsword like this.
  7. CrazyGenio

CrazyGenio Master Guru

GPU:
    Msi rtx 2080ti trio
    I'm not mad, i really hope the people who can afford them give them the proper attention, after all the DXR and RTX raytracing tech is like baby new tech so probably is expensive since the titan v was 3k usd on launch because of this and was not really aimed at gaming because it was just barely above of the titan xp.

Probably over the next gen it gets cheaper. I'm not gonna buy them because i don't need them really, but the people that will buy them i hope they really enjoy and have a positive feedback so in the next years we all can enjoy this amazing tech.

And about the names and seeing the names on the chips and performance i think they aimed to lauch a x70 and a x80 as always but since nobody pays 1k for a x80 or 800 for a x70 they decided to call them x80 and x80ti respectively so they can match the prices. Because if the 2080 were called 2070 instead people would be really glad we had another x70 performing as the previous x80ti of past gen, but since people saw an x80 performing as a x80ti of past gen, probably got a little dissapointed that's all, and they needed to do that since the new tech maybe IS that expensive to put the real names (but that's a theory a gam.....

BangTail likes this.
  8. tensai28

tensai28 Maha Guru

GPU:
    2080ti MSI X TRIO
    You forgot vr. Much larger boost in vr compared to 4k. I'm guessing a majority of the users on guru3d aren't using vr otherwise this topic wouldn't even exist.

9. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    More like this:

It will change I think, but right now VR is merely an enthusiast's thing.

-Tj- likes this.
  10. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    I would add extra

Imo it's a gimmick and sore for eyes.. not really ideal solution yet.

I was "fascinated" about it in end 90s, but later felt it's meh, even when it was vastly improved.

I did see some new news about it, fb oculus rift being wireless etc, but still not impressed anymore.

fantaskarsef likes this.

11. tensai28

tensai28 Maha Guru

GPU:
    2080ti MSI X TRIO
    Can't argue with you there. It's a shame really. If there was a larger base, we'd have much more awesome software. There's just a rediculous amount of untapped potential right now and it's frustrating.
    Vive is wireless too. Have you actually tried it (vive or oculus) or are you forming your opinion based on 90's tech? I've seen this comment a lot but mostly comes from people who haven't even tried it.

fantaskarsef and euskai like this.
  12. euskai

euskai Active Member

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti STRIX
    I don't think VR is relevante to gaming, and certainly PC gaming, right now.

It's a shame, first time I tried OR headset I was like I'm going to get these 100%

But at this point VR is shitty minigames and glorified tech demos. PS4 at least has VR in some games, like RE7 or the upcoming Ace combat, but for PC thre's just not quality content to justify people buying them.

I hope it gets better in the future, but that's how it's now

13. tensai28

tensai28 Maha Guru

GPU:
    2080ti MSI X TRIO
    Arizona sunshine, robo recall, lone echo, archangel, arktica 1, form, the talos principle vr, skyrim...etc. All full games and I enjoyed them all and some shorter titles such as rick and morty and batman arkham vr. Granted the software isn't as abundant as regular gaming but I wouldn't say it's nothing but mini games on pc vr.

BangTail likes this.
  14. BangTail

BangTail Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    It's pretty clear that when you make comments like 'I don't think VR is relevant to gaming right now', you don't have any real experience with it.

There is a lot of shovelware in the VR space, this is absolutely true, but there are also many examples (as Tensai pointed out) of truly awesome games and when it comes to driving or flying, there is no going back to a flat screen after you have done any kind of simming in VR.

It is no gimmick and it is not going anywhere.

tensai28 likes this.
  15. SiMallV719

SiMallV719 Member

GPU:
    Rtx2080ti
    What is the next nvidia GPU chip as i will skip the 2080 series as i already have 2x 1080ti's and they can match everything i throw at it, looking foward to trying the 3080ti?

16. euskai

euskai Active Member

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti STRIX
    Sadly I have VR experience, and what comes to mind is "extraordinary potential, unfulfilled"

I don't want to start a "game war", but those games are not exactly big hits (Skyrim excluded)

I might have been a little despective to them, but let's face it, they're not RE7, or Farcry, or even not AAA strong games like Outlast series or Alien Isolation. Most of them don't have a reason to exist outside VR.

Skyrim is the obvious exception here, but everyone that wanted to play it played years ago. Next Fallout/ Elder scrolls on VR on PC? tht would be a good hit.

Alien isolation was promising in oculus even if not supported and full of glitches. AI 2 with official support would be great. It would have been great if RE7 had an OR or Vive version.

Once again, I don't mean to disrespect de devs of those games, but they contribute to make VR a gimmick instead of an option for games that are great with or without VR.

More on topic, interestingly enough, since 2080/ ti reviews came out used 1080 ti prices seems to have gone up a lot for some reason.

You should think that's a punch on the face for Nvidia, but the reality is that with second hand 1080 ti with decent cooling going for 580-620 instead of 480-550, new 1080 ti at almost the same price that 2080s, the new cards are suddenly more competitive. Not the way I would want it, but they are (I'm an idiot for not grabbing a 1080 ti aorus for 460€).

So, any first hand experience on 2080 / 2080 ti performance in real to expand what reviews say? (bonus point for 3440x1440 or 2K experience)

Any comments on recommended brands for minimum noise?

17. BangTail

BangTail Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    VR games don't have to be AAA (Jim Sterling voice) to be good.

I don't judge games by that standard; outside of VR, Insurgency Sandstorm is the best tactical shooter going, easily better than BF V or CoD, and it is most certainly not a AAA (Jim Sterling voice) title.

There are plenty of good VR games by the same token (and plenty of bad ones as well ;) )

The cheaper the VR hardware gets, the faster it will get adopted and I suspect games like the upcoming Ace Combat 7 are going to sell a lot of PSVRs.

Where PCs are concerned, as GPU power increases and higher resolution headsets become more widespread, it will become more and more prominent.

I don't disagree that there is still a lot of work to be done, but I totally disagree that it is a gimmick, the Kinect was a gimmick, VR is here to stay, like it or not :D

Maddness and tensai28 like this.
  18. tensai28

tensai28 Maha Guru

GPU:
    2080ti MSI X TRIO
    The only complaint I would have about vr at the moment is the lack of a good motion solution. Trackpad locomotion is immersion breaking and so is teleportation. What we need is a walking solution like the infinadeck (google it) to go mainstream (as in not super expensive and used in actual games).

BangTail likes this.
  19. BangTail

BangTail Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    Yup, that is singularly the biggest problem.

20. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 Ti FTW
    Hm, it could be that the RTX 2080 vs GTX 1080 Ti benchmarks are actually worse than we thought. According to this, the RTX drivers were gimping the 1080 Ti, and that gimp was removed in 411.70, but all reviews on launch were based on the previous RTX-ready drivers.

I doubt that the major reviewers out there are going to redo all their benches now on 411.70.

My lawyer told me that this is not intended and it's just a bug ( :p), but if true, the drivers reviewers used to compare 1080 Ti vs 2080 made the 2080 look better than it actually is?

HandR and tunejunky like this.