I am sad about the 2080 Ti

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Lynart, Sep 19, 2018.

1. Lynart

Lynart Guest

GPU:
    Geforce 670
    Reviews are popping out. I really wanted Nvidia's claims to be right but the leaked reviews were not far off. 25%-33% gain for nearly a 2x price increase.

I'm running the X34 @ 3440x1440 with a 1070 so an upgrade would be nice. I'm also not short on cash...but I'm no fool. The value simply isn't there :'(

Anyone else share my views? This is not to knock on those who don't have issues with the 2080 Ti results.

BLEH!, Serotonin, tunejunky and 6 others like this.
  2. euskai

euskai Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti STRIX
    As much as I agree, there is already a 2080ti thread here.

Anyway I'm rocking the same X34 (worth every single cent), and I'm considering a used 1080ti. While it can be a little problematic at 4K, it should handle 2K without problems, and 2K and 2KUW difference is negligible.

Unless the unthinkable happens and 2080 goes 600-700€, but TBH I don't think that will happen. Like 0%.

3. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    In short, yes (I share your views).

Dragam1337 likes this.
  4. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    The way nvidia seems to justify the price, is the ray-tracing ability of the card. But as there are no games that support it out right now, and chances are the first ones that will, will run it quite badly, there's really no point.

I'm one to buy the highest end cards on release, but I'll definitely skip the 2080Ti. If I were you, I'd just get a used 1080Ti, they're just a bit under a 2080, but you'll likely get them significantly cheaper. Just don't get one that was used for cryptomining. :p

5. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    I'm 100% in the same boat as you. Would like to upgrade, do have the money, refuse to pay for something i feel is bad value, which i feel it is.

6. Petr V

Petr V Master Guru

GPU:
    Gtx over 9000
    Yes i agree i got old desktop so upgrade is needed for me dat 2080ti looks good but who will buy it for 1500€ ?
    It’s same with 4K 144hz display i like Asus one but for 2500€ is it useless.

7. SSJBillClinton

SSJBillClinton Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX4090 MSI GX Trio
    Sort of want one to max 144hz in Blackout at 1440p tho!

I kid, card is sort of underwhelming but I'm liking the DLSS stuff. If the Seahawk X or other AIO cards are much more expensive than the ref cards I'll give it a miss. Hopefully I'll get some good money from selling my 1080Ti too if I do.

8. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Based on Guru3D reviews the 2080 is pretty much exactly twice as fast as a 980 Ti (current GPU).

Lowest prices here for 2080 are just over 900 €. 980 Ti cost little over 700 € when bought.

So I could just about justify a 2080 in that sense but 900 € for a single component is still hell of a lot.
    I wasn't happy forking out even 700+ at the time.

(And the card before that, R9 290, cost 400+ and that felt a bit uncomfortable too.
    Little did I know...)

tunejunky likes this.
  9. Lynart

Lynart Guest

GPU:
    Geforce 670
    I like the DLSS stuff too. However, it seems too big of a gamble. To my knowledge, DLSS is Nvidia specific. Unless Nvidia pays publishers (and perhaps indie developers) to implement DLSS, there is little incentive to do so due to consoles not using it.

Unless I'm wrong about DLSS being Nvidia specific?

10. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4070 ti TUF
    The ti costs as much as my entire system including the monitor lol

11. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    Fully agree. The price is absolutely atrocious.

$600 is already too much money for a product made for games and that you'll replace in 2 or 3 years. $1200? Are you insane? And for what? To play games at 1080p?

Dear NVidia: money does not grow on trees.

Jagman, Slinkyminx, AsiJu and 3 others like this.
  12. pharma

pharma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX 1080
    As one review site put it

13. quantum hacker

quantum hacker Guest

GPU:
    GTX 275 - 896 MB
    Lets face it, the 2080 TI is for people who just threw down $2000 on one of those 144hz 4K monitors.

I just got a 1080 gaming x for $350. My 970 wasn't adequate for me anymore but I didn't want to spend $500 plus on midrange gear. 1080 level should cost what a 1060 is new.

I'll wait til cyber punk 2077 is out and see whats available

Last edited: Sep 20, 2018
  14. RzrTrek

RzrTrek Guest

GPU:
    -
    Nor does research and development (would never spend more than $300 on a GPU myself) but if you think it's too expensive, just don't buy it.

Præses and BangTail like this.
  15. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    That goes without saying. I'm simply stating the reason for not buying it. We could simply not buy it and never let nvidia know why we don't. Would that be better?

Slinkyminx likes this.

16. sertopico

sertopico Maha Guru

GPU:
    Palit Gamerock 4090
    I'm pretty much disappointed as well. I would say it's an half launched card, stuck between concrete brute power and a ray that does not hit any surface (i. e. : hope and wait till you see the new tech in action). :D

AsiJu likes this.
  17. Memorian

Memorian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
  18. CyberSparky

CyberSparky Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 XC3
    I was really hopeful to jump on the Ti version this series before they were announced, then the price turned me off of it. Thought well I'll give it a chance if the performance warrants it, seeing the reviews now. No thank you Nvidia!

I've owned every 80 series card in SLi since the GTX 480s. This will be the first generation I am skipping altogether in I think 7-8 years.

cryohellinc and Solfaur like this.
  19. Slinkyminx

Slinkyminx Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060
    This is the most tired, over used, foul, and above all, NAIVE argument for price gouging I read.

I normally take my own stuff when I go training but once I forgot to get my water, I asked and got given this cheap ass plastic bottle of some unheard of crap, I handed over £1 and got given £0.10 change... I literally laughed out loud and said 90p !?? HAHA I'm not paying that, put my bottle on the top with the ten pence and got my money back and trained without water.

We have to take a stand, they were charging that to catch people like me who forgot to go to Tesco..

I travel a lot, trains, there is a WH Smith at paddington station, they charge £1.50+ for a basic small bottle of water, why do you think this is? I refuse to be ****ed in the ass, just because my pants are down.

We are not all like me, but I won't stand for it.

Money talks ad BS walks - keep your money, let Nvidia fight for it.

I would buy a PS4 before I paid £1200 for a YEAR LATE 1080Ti REPLACEMENT

Last edited: Sep 20, 2018
  20. tensai28

tensai28 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    rtx 4080 super
    I just found a buyer for my 1080ti. I'm getting enough back to knock 50% of the price off on my upcoming 2080ti purchase so the price doesn't bother me as much. I'm glad this card came out. I can finally take full advantage of my 4k 60hz screen. Now I just have to decide which to get. Torn between msi trio and gigabyte.

BananaRepublik and pharma like this.