I actually like rubber dome more...

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Cyberdyne, May 17, 2016.

1. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    So I tried out a few different switches, and even used a Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 for about a year. And by the end of that year I knew I absolutely hate using mechanical keyboards.

If it's silent it feels to easy to press and I accidentally press keys, if it's clicky it drives me crazy and actually makes me feel self conscious about how loud I am typing.

So I tried out my old Logitech G15 from 2005. And it instantly felt so much better again. A year of suffering over. The perfect resistance, the feeling of the dome pop in without a loud click. The 11 year old rubber dome keys felt so much better to me.
    But the back light was dead, so I went out and got myself an entry level Logitech G105 (which seems to be a sexier G11 from back when).

So yeah, for me, a $60 rubber dome keyboard so much better then any mechanical keyboard. And considering the G105 was the ONLY rubber dome gaming keyboard in Microcenter I guess I'm unfortunate. Everyone seems to love mechanical now!

Last edited: May 19, 2016
  2. DesGaizu

DesGaizu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AORUS 3060TI
    Burn the heretic!

3. boerenlater

boerenlater Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 610 silent
    You just had the wrong switches then.
    I never want to go back to rubber dome.

4. RS-X

RS-X Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2060 super
    Wow reply after a really......... really long time.

Its actually about personal preference. I used the sports Poseidon , blues, blacks, - coolar master brown and blues, and razor's blues. All cherry mx. Now finally i switch back to rubber dome. Its more comfortable and quite.

Currently using irocks golem very well build dome keyboard.

5. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    Yay, I don't feel so alone anymore!

@boerenlater;
    Let's see. I've tried brown, blue, red, razers green. I have not tried clear, but they all have issues with me. The click is obnoxious, even using things like o-rings I've heard is not enough. Linear switches cause me to press unintentionally, I'm not a bottom-out typer, I learn the actuation point and rest on the keys.

I've heard that clear switches might be what I am looking for, but why bother?
    When I can just use any decent rubber dome and be happy. Obviously it seems I'm just trying to make something work that I just don't like.

@RS-X;
    I'm just happy they still make high quality (aka gaming) keyboards at this point. The G105, as simple as it is, feels great and has a few macro keys. And I was wrong about the G13, that was the stupid calculator one, the G11 was the one I was thinking about. It's like that but way better.
    Looks like it's called i-Rocks K50E? It looks OK. But it sounds neato, didn't know they made complicated rubber dome's like that.

6. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    I suggest finding a store that has the Logitech mechanical keyboards on display and trying those. They don't quite feel like a cherry key but not as squishy as a dome key. BestBuy usually has them on display if you have one near you.

7. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    My BestBuy is garbage, they didn't even have ANY displayport cables! Zero. I had to go to Microcenter, which has a keyboard on display with different switches on it, but they were all crap to me.

Maybe there is a special switch out there for a weirdo like me, but I'm happy right now. After a year of the Blackwidow Ultimate which is what, $150? I'm not spending more money lol.

8. Spets

Spets Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090
    I preferred dome keys until I tried the G910, their Romer-G switches are awesome. Picked one up and never looked back.

9. IcE

IcE Don Snow Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1070 Mini
    I know exactly what you mean. I have no issue with rubber dome keyboards other than the relative lack of actuation feedback. The "mushiness". However, I've found that for me personally, Cherry Red switches are the ideal switch. They have the speed of membrane keyboards, and are on the less noisy side. Most people dislike reds for the same reason they dislike membrane keyboards, as they bottom out without an obvious switching feeling. But if you're a fast typer like me, it works out the best. I'm probably part of the 1% that prefers reds for gaming AND typing. I can type about 5-8wpm faster on red switches versus blue or brown ones. My peak with my K70 is about 112WPM, versus around 100 ish with my old Das and Black Widow.

I also really like the tall keycaps that most mechanical keyboards have. Slimline keyboards are just awful to me for some indescribable reason.

10. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    Yeah I like tall keys as well. And I don't know why, but rubber domes just don't feel mushy to me. They feel fine. I also do not bottom out, like I said.

I've tried cherry red and wasn't impressed, but I didn't own one for a year lol. It's hard for me to say. OH and my WPM is no where near that fast. I'll top out at like 60.

11. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    I had no problem with membrane keyboards until I started using mechanical keyboards. Now it just feels weird when I'm not using them.

Praise the emperor

12. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    So... having my first mechanical keybord right now all I can say is... I guess you can live with both. Difference isn't major, but I guess my old kb wasn't all that bad (Logitech G110), but it feels a lot more sophisticated to use that mechanical keys (cherry red) than the domes.

13. snip3r_3

snip3r_3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Am I the only person that likes those "slim" keyboards? I type much faster on a laptop (110-130wpm) and with the slimmer Logitech keyboards than on mechanical or regular height ones. I also game perfectly fine on them.
    I like the shorter key travel, but not something as flat as the new Macbooks.

14. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    You might type on them faster but would you prefer them for gaming?

15. snip3r_3

snip3r_3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    I think I'm so used to them that I do really poorly on full sized keyboards. Tried playing FPS games on my friend's keyboard and literally had trouble moving, sprinting, and jumping from the difference in distance you need to press.
    I will be looking for a new keyboard soon though, as I'm wearing out the surface of the keys, as these keyboards weren't really built for gaming...
    At least the G610/810s look at least somewhat minimalist, though definitely have to see if I can get used to regular sized keys.

16. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    I guess just like getting used to your small keys you'll adapt to the full size keys eventually. You know how to use a keyboard ;)

17. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    I've played with mechanical keyboards at BestBuy and refuse to spend the money to buy one. I'm perfectly happy with my rubber dome keyboards. Of course, I'm getting used to using a laptop, which has rubber dome keys. Hardly touched my desktop since I got this laptop working again. The laptop keyboard just feels more natural to me. Same with rubber dome keyboards in general.

18. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    Warms my heart to know I'm not alone. Though not chiclet keys, I can deal with it but I prefer tall keys.

19. DSparil

DSparil Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS ROG StriX RX480, 8GB
    This. Dome blows, and I'd never go back to it. Browns are the sweet spot switch for me, but there is one out there that would fit you OP. You just haven't tried it.

Last edited: May 25, 2016
  20. dogswithguns

dogswithguns New Member

GPU:
    Gskill DDR3 16gb
    Really?.. I have never tried mechanical keyboards so I never knew how they really feel like, but I'm glad I found this tread by Google Search..
    Anyways, I'm not planning to get one cuz the price for one, also the noise.. but still I had many thoughts and asked myself again and again. My old Dell SK 8100 rubber dome keyboard seems to work fine, and it has the ps/2 old plug I really like about it.. the tall keys and the looks isn't all that bad. plain and simple. no different look from gaming keyboards anyway.. and I have a few of old Dell keyboards that I don't ever wanna give them up.. I really do like em.. hey thanks for your thread bud.