1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hyperthreading

Discussion in 'Die-hard Overclocking & Case Modifications' started by nateluthje, Feb 26, 2018.

1. nateluthje

nateluthje Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus strix 1080 SLI
    Hi all,

I was wondering is it better to have hyperthreading off in the bios and be able to run higher clock speeds, or to have it enabled and run lower clock speeds.

With HT "ON" I can only reach 4.6ghz, with it "off" I can reach 4.8ghz. This affects benchmark scores at least - well, not really Timespy, but there is a noticeable drop in the other 3dmark tests.

Most games are not that CPU intensive - take (for example) "the division" or "ghost recon wildlands" they barely reach on average 50-60% cpu (I said as an average), I know that this can vary.

What are your opinions?

Cheers.

2. Turanis

Turanis Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX500
    Only YOU can tell us how it is. :D

Usually all users let HT on.But you can test it for yourself and post results here. :)
    (Test it from games bench or run MSI AB bench tool)

Dragondale13 likes this.
  3. DAW40

DAW40 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1060 6GB
    No no no, if you disable HT then apps that use it like Photoshop, Premiere, DAW apps etc. It gives about a 20 to 25 percent boost in speed. By turning it off is a cardinal sin. thx

4. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 Ti FTW
    Nah. Leave it on, unless you come across a game that is really starving for single-core performance. CS:GO is an example, where insanely high frame rates can be beneficial (400FPS+).

5. WareTernal

WareTernal Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 580 GTS BE
    Turanis is right. It depends on what games you play and how you use your PC.
    If you are mostly gaming, then I'd go for the higher clock speed.
    IMO, 3dmark doesn't reflect reality very well when i comes to HT. I have a 2600@4.2 and 2500k@4.4. The 2600 always scores way higher in 3dmark, but in every game I've tested the 2500k always score slightly higher.
    Few games use HT for anything useful(or course depending on your hardware and settings that may change).
    If you're streaming games, you might get a smoother experience with it on, but even that is a maybe.
    Some game may show a lower peak FPS, but higher min FPS with HT on, and sometimes that is more important than a few more peak FPS.
    I'd say if you are doing things where you are waiting on your PC for 30+ minutes(like rendering a large video), you might want to consider leaving it on.
    For games, I think it's not a huge difference either way, and it all comes back to what Turanis said.

Dragondale13 likes this.
  6. DAW40

DAW40 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1060 6GB
    Yes, wareternal is correct. You don't need HT for games. You need HT for hard core apps that take full advantage of it. But honestly it's almost like having extra cores, except the boost in speed is like 20 to 25 percent.

7. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    I never turned it off since I got this cpu back in June 2013, imo its pointless for that 200MHz increase.

Angantyr and DAW40 like this.
  8. DAW40

DAW40 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1060 6GB
    Ill take 12 cores, well 12 sorta virtual cores over a 1000 more Mhz let alone 200Mhz. sheeeez... sighs

9. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 Ti FTW
    Well, let's not get too much into hyperbole here. 1GHz higher clock but with 6 threads will result in a much higher performance in the majority of games compared to 1GHz lower clock but with 12 threads.

Organik likes this.
  10. DAW40

DAW40 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1060 6GB
    You are correct Sir. Because games don't use HT, So if its a hardcore gamer you want to turn off HT. However if your casual gamer and do a lot of desktop work with apps like CAD, Video Editing, 3D modeling, PS and DAW then you need to turn on HT. thx

11. insp1re2600

insp1re2600 Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080TI OC H20
    yes they can...