Hybrid Physx - Borderlands 2 experiences

Discussion in 'Videocards vs General Purpose - NVIDIA Ageia PhysX' started by BaldManBDC, Sep 24, 2012.

1. BaldManBDC

BaldManBDC Member

GPU:
    Hi all,

Just looking for some feedback, I got a GTX 650 for a dedicated Physx card with my 7970.

I have managed to get it going with the Hybridiz utility, I can see I am getting load on the card and Physx works some what better than when using my i7 920.

I get around 45-70 FPS in normal situations, low Physx.

As soon as I get into heavy Physx gameplay I get spikes/FPS drops.

When I enable the GTX650 ,I can see on the GTX650 Usage in MSI afterburner it is spiking up and down all over the place (which I would assume is causeing the ingame spikes) between 0 and about 50% load.

Anyone else out there running Hybrid Physx in borderlands 2, if so what are your experiences with it so far?

I have tried Physx 9.11 and 9.12 both seem about the same, 9.12 maybe being slightly better.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2012
  2. Stalinizator

Stalinizator New Member

GPU:
    People experience these problems on different configurations, including Ati only ones. So its probably not physx. I also have these spikes but i dont think its because of hybrid config, as, for instance, you could still have physx effects that wouldnt cause lag, from shooting in soil or smth. I set physx on high though (dont think you should stick with low having a 650). In most places its 70(and up to 120) fps that slightly goes down for 10-20 fps during heavy firefights, but certain places, like when you have to get to claptraps ship and kill some 'knight' is lagging very much.

3. Shagula

Shagula Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 1060
    Im running Hybrid on a 7970 with a 460 for PhysX. The game was perfectly smooth for me until i got to the area where Captain Flynt is/Claptraps boat as mentioned above (That section seems really bad for it). Then it sort of became a bit stuttery. I notice that afterburner shows the load on the 7970 dropping off so its probably game/drivers that need a bit of tweaking.

Im using this method http://www.*****.com/graphic-cards/22136-how-to-fix-hybrid-physx-with-latest-physx-and-geforce-285-solved.html

And playing in 6120x1200 everything maxed... Framerate is 50-60fps when it doesnt go all stuttery.

Edit: Seems like the people on that forum are also having the same issue.

4. thatguy91

thatguy91 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 480 RS 4 GB
    Maybe the update will fix that :)

Do you use Lucid MVP at all (2.1.115a)? I know Borderlands isn't in the list, but try adding it. I added it and it worked fine for me. I set it so the logo appears at the bottom right hand corner of the screen then disappears after a few seconds. The Intel GPU seems to run quite well at 1500Mhz (used auto OC feature in the bios), only slightly reduced the preset OC voltage. No issues with heat.

I realise that it won't fix the problem, but I use the logic that if it's there, and works, might as well use it. You paid for the integrated GPU afterall!

5. BaldManBDC

BaldManBDC Member

GPU:
    Thanks for the feedback Shagula, pretty much exactly what I am experienceing.

Hope there is a fix for it soon, as when it comes to FPS I hate to play them without a minimum of 60FPS, so its back to Low physx for me atm, and 130 bucks wasted.

6. Luca T

Luca T Member

GPU:
    Ati7970 @1200/1500
    What should we use for the mix Ati/Nvidia-for-PhysX (600series)? apart of driver of course

7. BaldManBDC

BaldManBDC Member

GPU:
    Physx software, Hybridiz.exe.

not really working well in borderlands 2 atm though.

8. Luca T

Luca T Member

GPU:
    Ati7970 @1200/1500
    Hybridiz.exe? Not PhysX-Mod?

9. BaldManBDC

BaldManBDC Member

GPU:
    Sorry I was on my phone earlier and couldn't elaborate.

Here are the steps I have followed, and have loading on my GPU.

1) Install the latest WHQL driver and the latest PhysX software 9.12.013
    2) Run Hybridiz.exe patch as admin.
    3) move the following files to a different folder
    cudart.dll
    cudart32_30_9.dll
    cudart32_41_22.dll
    PhysXCooking.dll
    PhysXCore.dll
    PhysXDevice.dll
    PhysXLoader.dll

10. Luca T

Luca T Member

GPU:
    Ati7970 @1200/1500
    Which Nvidia card do you have for PhysX?

Which gain did you experience in Batman?

11. BaldManBDC

BaldManBDC Member

GPU:
    I have a GTX650 as per the original post.

I dont have batman.

12. Luca T

Luca T Member

GPU:
    Ati7970 @1200/1500
    I have your same configuration and I was considering a 640 (because I found a fanless model with no additional pin) but reading here and in other forum I'm not sure if buy 640 or 650:(

A guy with a 3930k and a crossfire of 7970 have lower performance with a 640 dedicated than with PhysX managed by cpu

13. Solid_State

Solid_State Member Guru

GPU:
    5870 VF3000A / GT430
    Very good hybridized experience it is.

1080P PhysX on high the frame rate never dips below 30fps.

I have seen 70% GPU load on the GT430 while playing.

14. minsterkermy

minsterkermy New Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte 7870 2GB
    meh

so i'm using a 7870 with a GT 620 in a hybrid configuration and I'm seeing decent framerates, rarely dropping below 30fps. Should be mentioned that just enabling PhysX will drop your framerates dramatically, and has been mentioned in various forums - an example with physx disabled in Batman AC i can get roughly 130fps on the 7870, cut that in half with physx on medium, and then again with physx on high. in game is different, this is just using the benchmark.

I had purchased a GT 640, thinking the higher cuda cores and memory bandwidth might help, but using the same drivers and everything basically just swapping out the cards, I couldn't get the 640 to work with anything BUT borderlands 2 and fluidmark, where the 620 works with every physx title i have. even then the performance difference is nominal.

i dunno, if you can someone can get the 640 working with everything that'd be awesome.. as for now, I figured i'd just stick with the 620 which i reciently overclocked and seems to have squeezed a few more fps out of it when using fluidmark....

15. BaldManBDC

BaldManBDC Member

GPU:
    Interesting, could be a 6 series issue, as from what ive read , the 640 and 650 are real 6 series, where as the lower are rebranded chips.

16. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    yes, GT 620 is akin to GT 430/530, ie. GF108, ie Fermi

17. mitzi76

mitzi76 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    i found running another card as physx wasnt worth it. game still had fps drops...

but if you try a game like mafia2 that's another matter.

at least that's just what I felt...(was a 580 with a 640).

18. BaldManBDC

BaldManBDC Member

GPU:
    Agreed, Borderlands is not workig to well with a dedicated physx card.

the FPS drops are to harsh to make it worth it. Hopefully somone can get a fix happening.

19. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5700 XT Thic II
    Yea I tried BL2 with a 9800GT in my PCIE 2.0 4x slot and it stuttered like crazy and dropped fps as well. IT even happen on phsyx GPU low. So I had to remove it and undo the hybrid phsyx gpu. Interesting enough doing medium on my HD7950 it self with the cpu doing it ran better then it did with the 9800GT as the Phsyx gpu.

Funny enough I did try Sacred 2 GPU phsyx with it and it did the same thing. Which was odd.

20. GeorgettaCZ

GeorgettaCZ New Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD7970OC 3GB
    Hallo. I just set up the latest Hybridiz.exe mod. I have Sapphire HD7970OC 3GB GPU@1150/VRAM@7000 and ASUS EN465GTX 1GB on stock clocks. Dont know yet about the functionality in games but the "Physx Fluids by Kenneth Bugeja.exe" as well as "PhysX FluidMark 1.5.0" say they use Physx GPU which is confirmed by GPU-Z 0.6.6, showing about 50% GPU load while benching. IT WORKS!!! Both between 60 and 70 FPS ;o)