Hurricane time again USA.

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by ---TK---, Oct 1, 2015.

1. __hollywood|meo

__hollywood|meo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6700xt @2.7ghz
    its veering slowly out to sea. unfortunately it didnt drift eastward fast enough & hit SC kinda hard; there was a lot of flooding early this morning, i read. a little bit farther north it has been relatively dry...after a few days of constant rain here.

its nothing at all like hurricane fran or floyd years ago, & yet everybody raided the grocery stores for water & various odds & ends regardless. im all for being prepared, but people should have emergency supplies/equip in their home already.

2. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    You also have no water. Good luck with that :nerd:

3. Elder III

Elder III Guest

GPU:
    6900 XT Nitro+ 16GB
    If I could have the choice I'd move to the Rocky Mountains. No tornadoes, earthquakes, Hurricanes, etc... just lots of cold air (I like it cold), and Blizzards (I like the snow).

4. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Depends, where I live power cables are above ground. It's almost amusing that I can use the weather forecast to determine when power is going out!

Everytime there's a storm or heavy snowing, boom, pitch black...

Incidentally, the Valio storm (or what is known as a storm here) knocked two birches down on my yard. Pretty big ones too.
    Luckily they were farther away from the house and missed the shed and indeed power cables next to them, just our fence took a beating.

Yesterday was a chainsaw day for me... got some free firewood at least!

5. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3070 TI 8GB
    Til you sneeze and cause a Avalanche so if you really do like snow then you won't mind it covering you up tightly.

The only thing we have here in Michigan is Cold Weather and when it snows it snows and the occasional Tornado's. I would love to be some where its hot all year around. I not looking forward to snow, more snow and even more snow. It even called it self trying to snow after winter here. Well then fires from the apt i in last year i saw so many fire trucks here at this apt interesting enough always from the folks on the 6th floor and above.

6. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    Yup. Same thing when I go to the cottage if there is thunder it will be pitch black. I read Valio storm did some damage but it is really really weak vs hurricanes still :p Good that you got some free firewood without getting damage to your property tho!

7. Elder III

Elder III Guest

GPU:
    6900 XT Nitro+ 16GB
    Yeah, I'm originally from western NY State, so I'm used to getting several feet of snow dumped on us often in the winter (lake effect snow, the only time WNY ever makes national news is when Buffalo gets 7' in 2 days or something similar. :p

8. General Lee

General Lee High-tech Redneck

GPU:
    Galaxy GTX 650tiBOOST 2GB
    Up here in upstate South Carolina, we've had some flooding, but nothing like what's happening east and south of us. Hell, I just got home yesterday from Plum Hollow, in Campobello, site of the Moonshiners Reunion. One of the fiddlers got on the mic and yelled

"They declared a state of emergency...so we threw a three day bluegrass festival!"

Yeah, best music ever. We had a LOT of rain, but everyone had a great time. Best music ever. I didn't even bother going to sleep the other night, just sat on the porch at the cabins drinking a gallon of moonshine and cutting up with the bands and crews. Talk about some serious mud, lol.

I feel bad for the people affected by the flooding. All my stuff is soaked. There are not enough tarps and sandbags to keep that much rain from making a mess. The last night's music had to be played acoustic under the pavilion where the crowd sits. We enjoyed having the bands sit with us and let us be part of the show. After they played Devil Went Down to Georgia, the fiddler snapped his bow over his knee after the last note and tossed it away, lol. Best song ending I've seen there.

9. rflair

rflair Don Coleus Staff Member

GPU:
    5700XT
    Some places in SC got 500mm (2 feet) of rain, incredible.

Just the clean up will be something to deal with, if they all help each other they should be fine.

10. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Hang in there TK. Just as long as your house doesn't get flooded. Too bad no playing games for a week but as long as you've got batteries, you can at least stay connected :)

Heard about what happened in Cannes, France the day before yesterday? Some 150mm rain fell down in 2-3 hours (equivalent to one month worth of rain) and caused flash floods in the city centre. 20+ deaths (drowning in cars, parking lots or just swept away).

Last edited: Oct 5, 2015

11. General Lee

General Lee High-tech Redneck

GPU:
    Galaxy GTX 650tiBOOST 2GB
    Shoot, we were still dealing with the rain around here from the last week before this system hit. I was out camping and working at another music festival, and it never let up. We've already had flooding, now we get even more flooding on top of what that system left here. It stopped raining for one day, just long enough for me to haul everything out in the yard to dry it out before we went camping in the rain again.

I saw someone's tent go floating across the dirt road the other night while they were gone. Heard about several other campsites that got washed to another location. Y'all should have seen the roads out there. After two weekends of this weather, I think I'll stay home for a bit. My own open mic got rained out week before last. I reckon my band will just sit home this weekend, maybe do some practice, cook out.

12. nexxusting

nexxusting Guest

GPU:
    GTX 980 SC /w EK-FCGTX980
    Hold on.....

I've been saying this for many many years..... However, you say that as if the power lines that service you ARE buried? God.... That will never happen here. Ever. If they did then they couldn't literally Rape us and in general not care. They'd have to spend money and that is NEVER happening.

I need out of this country. Canada has become Mini USA (Nothing against the USA, you'd be pissed if your country became Mini Canada hehe) and its repulsive.. Need to move back to the motherland... (The UK)

Anyone remember hearing about the Ice Storm here in 2013? No offence but your storms, unless they completely damage your house are NOTHING compared to what we experienced. I personally went without power for 3 weeks, in December, to top that all off we have a sump pump. Now only some of you will know what that means, for those who don't it means if the power goes out and its raining you have to bail manually for hours.. It's crazy. It was raining for a week or so and some of the ice was melting underground I guess because our sump was filling up like mad. We had to buy a second generator just for it. That was after I stayed up for 3 days bailing as hard as I could.

I'm telling you right now I'd take your storms over this anyday as long as they don't get TOO bad. Then again there were millions of dollars worth of damage done with that Ice Storm. It was crazy guys. Absolutely nuts. Furthermore, lol you have cell phone towers functional throughout this? Count yourself lucky. I couldn't get reception until I drove 20 mins from my place. Hehehe.

I do hope everyone makes it through this unscathed. Please be safe. :) I also hope I haven't offended anyone. Just a disclaimer......

Man.. That last line was the funniest thing I've read in a long time. That fiddler rules. I would have loved to be there with you dude. So cool.

My kind of people. Fully.

Curious though. Why are you running your 8320e with 1 stick of RAM? One died or? You're uhhh, using 50% of your possible bandwidth.

You're kidding? Why would ANYONE die from that? Yeah that's a lot of rain, too much in fact. However no one should have died. Not even one person. That's ridiculous, honestly. 2-3 hours is a LOT of time. More than enough for people to be informed and go or stay in a higher than ground level place. I know for a fact I wouldn't have died. Cannes seems like it's full of people who aren't too bright.... Horrible what happened though. Tragedy for sure.

*edit* Can't believe I did all this with my Cell Phone. I love Android.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2015