1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hurricane Sandy

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by airbud7, Oct 28, 2012.

1. scoter man1

scoter man1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070ti
    I'm just sad Google canceled their event on Monday :(

2. deltatux

deltatux Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    Toronto is also bracing because we're going to be hit with a snow storm from the west, cool arctic winds from the north and then Hurricane Sandy from the south at the same time between Monday - Wednesday. Forecast models predict 90km/h winds and rain for Halloween night...

At least I don't have to give out as much candy except for those brave souls? lol.

Should this Frankenstorm actually hit as hard as they say it will, forecasters predict it will affect 70% of the Canadian population since we're all mainly bunched up in Southern Ontario and Southern Quebec lol.

deltatux

Last edited: Oct 28, 2012
  3. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1660Ti
    I know how hard hurricanes are to track and predict.... Been a hobby of mine for quite a few years...

4. StewieTech

StewieTech Chuck Norris

GPU:
    MSI gtx 960 Gaming
    All hurricanes have female names. Just saying.

Here in Portugal i never heard of a single hurricane passing through but you usa citizens must have a hard time uh?

5. IcE

IcE Don Snow Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1070 Mini
    Then why are you raging about how you prepared for "nothing" when the full storm hasn't even hit you yet?

Having emergency supplies is a good idea period. And I mean, would you rather get no warning with regards to any weather because it has the potential to be inaccurate? That's just silly.

6. airbud7

airbud7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    No...Tropical Depression 19 is holding strength in the middle of the Atlantic, and if it gains strength as expected and becomes Tropical Storm...>Tony...:)

In 1979, the Atlantic Basin list of names was expanded to include both male and female names. Today, once a tropical disturbance intensifies to tropical storm strength, with wind speeds above 39 mph, the National Hurricane Center gives it a name.

There are six lists of tropical cyclone names, 21 names for Atlantic storms and 24 names for eastern North Pacific storms. The lists are used on a rotating basis. For instance, the set for 2011 was also used in 2005, except the names that were retired....:)

7. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Toni is a girl's name. ;)

8. StewieTech

StewieTech Chuck Norris

GPU:
    MSI gtx 960 Gaming
    Exactly. "Bruce" could convince me though. In December this year there will be a hurricane called Chuck Norris. I´m sorry, it never gets old to me.:wanker:

9. airbud7

airbud7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    Not if HIS first name is Anthony... :)

10. airbud7

airbud7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    Lol^...Fun stuff:)....You should change your Avatar to Chuck Norris:banana:

11. Norvekh

Norvekh Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080 Ti
    Andrew would like to have a word with you...

Current predictions make it continuing to strengthen until it finally hits because it's likely to convert from being a tropical cyclone to an extratropical cyclone. The biggest impact will likely come from storm surge, rain, and snow for higher elevations and latitudes. It's a massive storm, over 800 miles across and that alone makes it dangerous because of how long it will remain in the area due to sheer size. Regardless, yes they're likely being overly cautionary in their response but given the alternative of being unprepared it's definitely better to err on the side of caution.

12. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    Toni is a somewhat common male name here in Finland, you probably wouldn't even be allowed to give it to a girl here.

13. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1660Ti
    Why are you attacking MY opinion? Am I not allowed to have my own ****ing opinion on this forum? This **** is getting old. If I voice MY OPINION on any topic, I get attacked. If I even so much as question someone else's opinion, I get attacked. And wtf do you get that I'm "raging"? I stated MY OPINION of the matter.

Every ****ing storm we hear reports on the radio where they make it sound like the end of the world is coming. Sorry if I don't believe the media should overdramatize every situation. It does nobody any good and leads to distrust of the media. Why should people trust a media that constantly overdramatizes every situation?

Not all hurricanes have female names.

Hurricane Charlie
    Hurricane Hugo
    Hurricane Andrew

male names....

14. IcE

IcE Don Snow Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1070 Mini
    Why do you perceive a legitimate question as "attacking"? Also, this post is even more full of the rage factor. I'm not sure how you aren't seeing it.

15. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    OK I've just done some investigating and apparently each oceanic region (S. Pacific, Atlantic, N. Atlantic etc) has it's own naming scheme.

Down Under all ours are named after woman (prob cause they have such bad tempers :p), in the Caribbean they're named after Saints o_O....

16. ---TK---

---TK--- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    whats with the huge post?

17. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Oops....fixed.

18. Taint3dBulge

Taint3dBulge Maha Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti 2063/6180

http://www.weather.com/newscenter/tropical/

The thing that is scary is the movie was taking place at this exact same time oct 28-30th. what makes this worse is its a full moon for one, and the tides will be higher, and the storm is going to hit land where as the movie stayed in the ocean..

19. AndreasGuido

AndreasGuido Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    Good luck guys! Its actually nice and sunny here in UK, beautiful blue sky! :D

20. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Redacted by NDA
    Yeah good luck.