Huge racism at my Korean university

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by dmonk, Nov 22, 2011.

1. dmonk

dmonk Maha Guru

GPU:
    ATI Radeon HD 5450
    Colonial racism for all! Cheers!

I'm Chinese and I study in a Korean University. One of my classmates (also Chinese) is in an English class and has to do a group project. Her group members, all Korean, decided to a topic called "Foreign Students, Don't Be Freeriders." (note, 90% of foreign students are Chinese here) yet she is forced to participate in a CAMPAIGN AGAINST HERSELF. Moreover, the professor allowed them to do this project which is even more sickening. Why don't they just put us in some damn labor camps already?

I think most of Korea would not support this if looking at this objectively...but anyways...this class feels perfectly fine with it. I think the world should know.

2. metaltoiletry

metaltoiletry Maha Guru

GPU:
    XFX HD5870
    I did many projects in College that I didn't necessarily believe or agree with. I think it's about having an open mind and learning about all sides of view. I agree though, it's pretty shady of those other three students to pick a subject like that.

3. BorTriggerHappy

BorTriggerHappy Master Guru

GPU:
    5870 & GTX 275
    This may sound racist...somehow, but where I come from there are 2 Korea's, the good one and the bad one. Which are u in?

4. naike

naike Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus EAH5870
    I don't get whats racist?
    They just want to make a project to prevent freeriders.
    I wouldn't feel offended if I had a project like that in my school, racism wouldn't even pop into my mind, unless I would be a freerider of course.

5. CronoGraal

CronoGraal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6900XT Merc 319
    theres a reason why korea and japan are deadly efficient while countries with foreign floodgates on full throttle (sweden, etc) are full of "lazy foreigner" stereotypes.

@ op, its not even racist.

6. dmonk

dmonk Maha Guru

GPU:
    ATI Radeon HD 5450
    First of all-this is South Korea.

@CronoGraal

It is racist by implication, even if not obvious.

Well I should give you a little background that Asians are the highest discriminated group in this country statistically, the worst treatment going to Southeast Asians.

Over 90% of foreign students at my university are Chinese (10% or less are exchange from various countries, mainly Europe and only here for one semester).

Here's another awesome quote from one of my friend's classes: "Hey Koreans, if you find any Chinese student cheating on the test I will give you extra credit." How does this not sound like the Salem witch trials?

Also a little factoid for you, if you look at stats again Korea is actually one of the least efficient countries in the world despite being the hardest working. So, actually what you said is false by this premise.

@naike: It is not a group to get rid of freeriders. it is a group to get rid of FOREIGN freeriders. read carefully.

7. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    If he was in North Korea he wouldn't be posting here.

It's South, and they are pretty well known for disliking the Chinese as the Chinese have and still actively support North Korea.

Not saying that this is OK, just stating why the racism probably exists.

8. CronoGraal

CronoGraal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6900XT Merc 319
    How can "Asians" be the highest discriminated when Koreans themselves are "Asian"?

Yes, this is racist, but was not included in your OP.

A few people said that Korea has rigorous work ethics, but I suppose you know better than me.

9. naike

naike Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus EAH5870
    I understand it, but I think the ones living in the country should have priority.
    They are going to stay in the country and pay taxes.

10. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    I was thinking the same thing.

11. dmonk

dmonk Maha Guru

GPU:
    ATI Radeon HD 5450
    I'm sure you kind of have an idea about why Koreans hate Japanese, vice versa, Chinese, etc. Asians really grow up to hate each other. By that statement I actually meant that Korean society discriminates people of Asian origin (aside from themselves) more than against other ethnic groups from other countries, especially European countries. Africans and Indians also get a lot of discrimination as well, so it's hard to say actually except that it is a lot.

Freeriding in this case is getting credit for group school projects without doing anything. I'm pretty sure someone's nation of origin is not grounds for discrimination...

12. att_user

att_user Banned

GPU:
    Radeon HD 5870 2 GB
    Wow! Korean nazis! LoL!

13. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    This

Unfortunately, you'll find racism pretty much anywhere you go. Some countries actively encourage it, thankfully some don't. There is a certain degree of tolerance that should be displayed to everyone and by no means should an entire race be judged by one person, though that is far from the case. I work with people from all over the place, Thailand, Sri Lanka, India, China, while English myself, and we all get along.

Your situation I don't really get though. How can Koreans and Chinese not be getting along. You're all from Asia. People from Europe manage it.

14. Zboe

Zboe Guest

GPU:
    GALAX GTX 970
    I think it's wrong but at the same time I see their POV on this. China had/has a history of supporting the North. Or at least not doing anything to curb them at all. In this case both sides are wrong IMHO.

15. Labyrinth

Labyrinth Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Tri-X R9 290 4G
    Can't you complain to whoever is in charge of the university?

16. Nemes1s

Nemes1s Master Guru

GPU:
    2x560Ti SLI ASUS + EVGA
    Is that all? Try living in South Africa. Racist capital of the world.

17. JohnMaclane

JohnMaclane Ancient Guru

GPU:
    8800GTS 640mb
    Correcto-mundo

I guess they got pretty pissed when china crushed any hope of uniting the koreas when it single-handedly created the status quo (a peninsula divided at the 38th parallel).

Just like the polish generally dislike Russians and Germans.

18. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    South Korea isn't far off, it's a very racist country.

19. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

Racism is just a discrimination against a person's race. Discrimination can take many forms, it can definitely still apply to people of the same race but different cultural background (Koreans against Chinese, Japanese against their indigenous Ainu etc). It also applies to gender inequality, discrimination against bald or hairy body people etc. Its all about stereotypes, and the nature of people to be wary of those that are different to them. Its most likely an instinct passed through our genes (or from mother to child?) that is a form of waryness against other tribes (different) people in prehistoric times (note: prehistoric in this context meaning pre-written history, and pre-modern human era). Instinct however is no excuse for racism, as its the ability to process and categorise these instincts that defines your personality. Just a side thought, a vibe (or 'gut' feeling) is a processed and categorised instinct on a sub-conscious level formed through evaluation of sensory input. If something doesn't 'feel' right, its just an outward expression of these evaluated senses.

Coming back to how this relates to the university situation, you have a basal instinct of 'difference' between the Korean and Chinese students. In a situation of no personal influences, getting to know the people would typically lead to acceptance, and is truly absolutely no difference than you meeting any person from anywhere for the first time and getting to know them. The issue is personal influences from other people against those that are different self perpetuates that basal instinct into something that turns into discrimination. The difference between tribal times and now is in tribal times they would just avoid each other, now thats unavoidable, and unfortunately it further perpetuates itself. Prehistoric humans got over this instinct and had acceptance (at least in some form), and this is shown in the DNA records that show modern humans interrelated with Neanderthals and Denisovians.

I suspect the Korean racism against the Chinese is got a lot to do with North Korea, and the relations between North Korea and China. This is the unfortunate consequence of political fueled discrimination. In any form of discrimination its important that, although it may be tough, the person or group being discriminated against doesn't contribute towards that discrimination. Say if out of 1000 people 10 Koreans cheated and got caught, and 1 Chinese cheated and got caught, it actually would be considered at least as bad if not worse. However, take away that fuel for discrimination (regardless of the situation) and you will find over time the person will start to become unnoticed. Just think of a balding (male) person. If they grow their hair medium or long, or have a combover! they're providing fuel, but if they cut their hair very short (shaved, or a number 1 or 2 at most clipper), many people actually get away with it, although that doesn't work for anyone.

Basically, my point is discrimination is absolutely all around us, AMD or Nvidia, Intel or AMD, Ford vs GM/BMW vs Mercedes, all forms of brand snobbery, its just unfortunate when it applies to humans.

In a normal situation, it would just be a discussion with the lecturer and get a group change, however since its an endemic issue, this course of action probably wouldn't be fruitful. It may be possible to go higher up (as in the university personnel structure), but proceeding with caution as its likely they may feel somewhat the same. However, they also know that foreign students help with their funding, so if you just bring it to their attention in passing, letting them know that there may be displeased students returning to their home countries, it will at least give them something to think about.

If you do follow that suggestion, its very important that you proceed with caution as its something that will need to be worded very carefully, and probably better to approach it as a group of concerned foreign students rather than as an individual.

20. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

Like I said in a very long way in my previous post, both South Africa and South Korea have large amounts of self perpetuating fuel when it comes to racism.