Huawei 24-core 7nm Kunpeng CPU outperforms Intel Core i9-9900K

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Aug 13, 2020.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    Time to throw away i9 and get ARM CPU to play pacman on a linux terminal like a Pro.

3. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    Chinese officials will keep careful track of your Pac-Man strategies via the backdoors. In the next Pac-Man World Championship games they will beat you with your own techniques!

Brasky and rl66 like this.
  4. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    Both make me laught :)
    More seriously, i have lived on "the other side" (those who were all spies from stasi and kgb on your TV lol) during a part of my life... The reality were just that they were only the same as us...
    Why chinese wouldnt be the same? from what i know (to have work sometime with them) they are.
    It's just an economic war because USA were thinking that chinese were dumb (as most of the world for them) since so long that when chinese company gain parts on internal market they cannot fair fight.
    You care about backdoor, then if you are from EU you might care about what your retirement and health data are doing in USA (the server should be in EU but it was too expensive... sure).

0blivious likes this.

5. Quetzall

Quetzall Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte Gtx 670OC SLI
    Any new technology outperforms x86 based processors. But there's a reason why x86 Jaguar was preferred over the Cell processor for PlayStation 4, x86 instructions are the most familiar for coders.
    Good luck trying to use it as a normal desktop.

6. MonicaWeiss010

MonicaWeiss010 Guest

GPU:
    rtx2070
    China has a long way to go

7. Andrew LB

Andrew LB Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080@2,025
    No, it's due to decades of idiots in Washington DC making trade deals which were completely one sided, against our own interests while importing cheap labor, driving down wages and essentially destroying much of the middle class. You can't call it "free trade" when one side has a 20-40% tariff on any of your goods while there are none the other direction. Not to mention their IP theft/forced transfers and military technology theft. just for starters.

8. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    Honestly... 24 ARM cores beating a high-clocked 8c/16t x86 cores is actually impressive.

0blivious and Valken like this.
  9. Saabjock

Saabjock Master Guru

GPU:
    PNY GTX1070XLR8
    The kind of thinking that'll get us left behind at some point.
    We 'invested' our kids in the war machine, while China, India, Pakistan, etc... sent their kids...in some cases, here to university.
    We are now scrambling in areas like telecommunications and expecting other governments to stymie nation's progress.
    We need an education 'push' to get back on top fairly and to stay ahead in those areas we have not fallen behind in.

10. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti
    Of course they are. These agencies are typically known for having bleeding edge high performance CPUs in their PCs rather than cheap as chips 'that'll do' bulk bought trash.

Is it? If it was single thread operations perhaps but the article says it beats it in multi thread operations so it has more threads would that not making it better at correctly multi-threaded operations? The claim is a little light on real info though, I am kinda shocked no-ones thrown out a quick 'show us the benchmarks.'

Last edited: Aug 13, 2020

11. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    What you said feel as what i said when you are on the other side... But in both case, the guilty are the same (the government)

12. Gomez Addams

Gomez Addams Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090
    Someone would have to have to care enough to want to see the benchmarks. I know I do not.

13. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    48C + 8 memory channels => 150W TDP @ 2.6GHz.
    For certain workloads it will be good as long as price is right.

14. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti
    It's odd if it had for example been an AMD CPU making the claims I would imagine folk would have been out in force saying show me the benchmarks but for some reason this claim has been dropped and no one really seems to care. Oh plenty of opinions more along the political lines not so much on the actual tested hardware side, just seems odd in a tech focus site that's all.

15. ViperAnaf

ViperAnaf Guest

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3080 OC
    lol ok...

16. MonicaWeiss010

MonicaWeiss010 Guest

GPU:
    rtx2070
    yup, US is a great country but with too many wars. I know there are different reasons, some are justice and some are not. Whatever the reasons are, those veterans are the most hurt ones. Young men are sent to wars, dedicate their whole life to the country even if sometimes it's just a lie. Recent years have been a hard time between US and China , the politicians just want people to hate each other to serve their political purpose and interest. HuaWei is a company owned by Chinese Gov, thus I believe it might has stolen some of the US technologies. However it is an inevitable process of developing countries to catch up with developed countries I have to say, though it's bad. Btw I'm from China, CN is not that bad comparing to what those politicians want you to believe..

Saabjock likes this.
  17. kevnb

kevnb Guest

GPU:
    Zotac 1070
    who tested? you cant trust anything huawei claims as they have been caught misleading and cheating on benchmarks more than once. so far their chips have been much slower than what qualcom offers, let alone intel desktop processors.

MonicaWeiss010 and Tyrchlis like this.
  18. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    To people who are obsessed with benchmarks: you can't really compare ARM (RISK) with x86 (CISK).
    You literally comparing apples to oranges. Jet engine to car engine or cats to dogs, CPU to GPU.

ARM is all about simplicity and running simple instructions. Operations that are optimized for RISK, will work better with it.
    Same with x86.

The way they can compare ARM and x86 is running similar calculations and see which chip got it done first.
    Yet it doesn't really mean anything. Just like GPU doing faster arithmetic than CPU, doesn't mean you can replace CPU with GPU.

There, 9900K owners may rest in piece now.

And this post is really misleading.
    Making jokes out of it and hoping people would realize, doesn't really seem to work.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2020
    mbk1969, bobblunderton and itpro like this.
  19. bobblunderton

bobblunderton Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2070 Super 8gb
    You know this, obviously most others did not/do not.
    I will try and explain it for the rest of the folks here who may not know, how it was explained to me many many years ago.
    RISC computing is good for math and simple things like engine management or simple file management duties of a NAS, or even simple phone duties (be it a central phone server for an office or the cell phone many people hold in their hand). This requires much less transistors, less power = less heat output.
    CISC is good for multimedia, gaming, and so-forth. The complex instruction set is good for making short work of complex multimedia that most RISC processors would need many cycles to 'break down' and process. This being very complex, requiring millions of transistors, many complex instruction sets on-top of typical x86 / 64 instruction sets, but the more instructions = the more you can do with less processor cycles. For some duties, a RISC processor is inherently better; but if you watch movies or play lots of current-gen / last-gen games, CISC is the answer by leaps and bounds.

So if you want to play the latest quarterly iteration of Call of Doodey, Cattlefield, or Couch-Fort Night, you'll want an x86/64 CISC CPU or APU processor.
    If you want to run your power grid, corporate / regional phone system, file server, industrial robot, or even a calculator/smart home thermostat or IOT devices, a RISC CPU is almost always better by a long-shot.

I hope that helps explain some of it a little better, but I'm no field expert by a long shot (though I got my certs circa 1999~2000, and have worked a wide variety of fields).

0blivious and itpro like this.
  20. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    It is impressive. Makes me wonder what Apple can do with their version of ARM chips for their PCs and see if they can out perform what they are currently using in their high end laptops.

Valken likes this.