HSI Bridge Chip is the 6600GT AGP problem !!

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by nsjmollers, Jan 14, 2005.

1. nsjmollers

nsjmollers Guest

For everybody with a 6600GT AGP an the freezing problem in 3D programs ie freezing after a couple of minutes in any 3D program.

This might just be the solution to the problem, the cheap Nvidia reference versions from these boards (XFX, Club3D, Leadtek) seem to have an overheating problem.

But that is not overheating of the CPU an memory but overheating of the HSI bridge Chip. After trying every tip on this and the Nzone forume I concluded it had to be an overheating problem, but the temp of the cooler on top of the CPU an Memory wasn't getting that hot at all. The little heatsink on top of the HSI bridge chip on the other hand did get warm to hot.

After making the contact between chip an heatsink a bit better and putting an old CPU fan on top of it (connected as case fan) I got much much better results from my card. Insteed of crashing in 3dMark2003 after about 3-5 minutes (most of the times in test 3) I am now running 3dMark2003 for 2 hours on end and still going strong.

So rma those cards with reference coolers and get one with a better design (ASUS looks good to me), or put a better cooling unit on top of the HSI bridge chip (and the CPU/Memory when you want).

Good luck, hope this works for you

2. rebirthofham

rebirthofham Master Guru

GPU:
    Leadtek 6800 oc 400/875
    niceeee................

3. A1200

A1200 Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte 6800GT AGP
    That is very interesting. My Leadtek 6600GT AGP had some sort of cheap tape between HSI core and the heatsink.

The card also freezed almost every time at Trolls Lair benchmark in 3DMark03. But I have already RMA it.

Leadtek's cooling solution for 6600GT is a joke.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2005
  4. Killgore

Killgore Member

GPU:
    EVGA 7800 GTX
    I have long suspected the HSI bridge chip as the culprit... and for that very reason I won't buy another graphics card with a bridge chip on it, ever.

Imho its probably the bridge chip causing the poor performance issues as well. But I sent my XFX 6600 GT back so its not my problem anymore.

5. Advis

Advis Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX GeForce 6600GT 128mb
    I'm glad action is being taken on the 6600GT front as I'm not ready willing to RMA it as technically it does work and it was purchased for me as a gift for me :)

I'm using XFX's custom cooler and took that apart, applied some Arctic Silver 5 and saw a slight drop in temps. But I wasn't able to remove the HSI bridge cooler over fears of breaking it. I'm going to have a look into this as it looks like it might well help.

I've also seemed to waken XFX's support : there testing multiple BIOS versions to see if they have any affect on whats happening.

Hopefully, this issue can be fixed and we can all start to enjoy these cards the way they were meant to be played (sorry, couldn't resist! :D)

6. Great Satan

Great Satan Guest

Any of us who have problems with our 6600GT's if you notice were the ones who were quick to get our hands on them.
    I myself had problems with mine as well...try everything and still no change still sucked...
    Anyway emailed MSI, they says try it on another pc...did that and guess what it wasn't my pc or the cooling or drivers...it was the card..
    RMA it or take it back where you bought it and get another card..
    My new one I got runs beautiful no problems..

So get another one..you should be fine..

7. sublime30

sublime30 Master Guru

GPU:
    nvidia 6800 128mb tv tuner 430/790
    I don't think it is the bridge.Since all it does is convert a pci ex to agp.All it does is change the way it connects to the computer.Heat in this area would not cause any problems unless you burn it up.Hope you understand what I am saying.

8. Great Satan

Great Satan Guest

Finally, I response that I understand and makes sense. I agree with you it's not the HSI bridge. It's the card itself, they getting bad cards, the only fix is to hope that your next one you get works!

GS

9. nsjmollers

nsjmollers Guest

Of course you can all make your own conclusions on what is bad about the first bunch of 6600GT, but as I said for me the extra cooling of the Bridge Chip did work.

It got my play time from 3 minutes to a couple of hours on end, so maybe it is just a fix for my card but I really doubt that.

10. ViperXtreme

ViperXtreme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 Super Jetstream

11. mezkal

mezkal Master Guru

GPU:
    Sparkle Geforce 6600 GT AGP 128MB
    Yeah same here. It's 39C Ambient here and my Sparkle 6600GT AGP hasn't had one overheating issue yet. At these amb temps (and yes it's SUMMER here downunder) my Leadtek FX 2900XT would be useless but this card is anything but andf it has the standard NV ref cooling solution.

I certainly think there were some bad batches, I'm just glad mine wasn't one of them. Here I was worried that my card was only clocked @900mhz for the DDR3!

That's been my only issue with this card. By the way the best drver I've found so far for this little beast is 67.65. All the 71.xx have dodgy OPTIMISATIONS that lead to loss of detail (especially in HL2) even in High Quality mode and most other drivers don't use the VPU properly, including 67.66. Infact only this driver, 66.81 and the other 67.xx drivers seem to be fully functional on this card with 67.65 being the best.