HP's Confirmation of WebOS on Tablets Raises Microsoft Question

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Nafta, Jul 5, 2010.

1. Nafta

Nafta Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 7950/HD4000 MVP
    http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Desktops-a...-on-Tablets-Raises-Microsoft-Question-152689/

This is good news for those who liked WebOS, I didn't have a chance to try it out here. None available to try.

So does a "minor" OS suit the pads/tablets better than full fledged OS, what do you think?

2. Seref

Seref Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 3080 Ti
    I view a tablet as an evolution of the laptop, therefore giving it a crippled OS (crippled as in limited since it's an OS designed for phones and PDAs) is a step backward in my book. I understand that it's easier to use things like webOS here and the iPhone OS on the iPad since it requires less resources, but honestly I'd do everything in my power to get Windows 7 (or at least XP or some Linux variant) on one of these. It's just handicapped without a full fledged operating system.

3. Dictator93

Dictator93 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA Titan X

The statement above sums up my opinion on this matter. Well said.

4. Exodite

Exodite Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56
    And I don't, regular notebooks are still designed for real work in mind while tablets are essentially convenience and accessibility gadgets.

Not unlike netbooks, which I believe are crippled by the demand to run Windows 7. The specifications for netbooks would make a lot more sense with a light-weight mobile OS. Enter the smartbook I suppose, though that's what the netbook should have been from the start.

Anyway, in the end I don't believe the world is ready for the tablet revolution just yet - no matter what kind of OS they're going to push. There just aren't any convenient usage scenarios or 'killer apps' for that kind of platform yet.

5. crazylocha

crazylocha Member

GPU:
    XFX 5770
    Having not gone in depth into Androids systems, how much Linux type variant is it? I.e... can it be beefed up similar to Linux systems? Phone OS variant being a "lite" version and the tablet being "medium" with necessary dependencies loaded depending on platform specs?

6. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    I used to have a Palm Pre with WebOS and I loved it.