HPET conflict with Windows 8 solved

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by N.O.U.G.N., Jun 14, 2012.

1. N.O.U.G.N.

N.O.U.G.N. Master Guru

GPU:
    GIGABYTE GTX 1080 8Gb
    Hi I wanted to mention this HPET issue I solved in hopes that it helps someone else out.

My PC, listed in my profile, has the High Precision Event Timer feature on the Gigbyte mobo. For months now I was trying to figure out what was causing Win8 to lock up periodically. I tried 64-bit/32-bit modes both seemed buggy.

I was able to narrow it down to Flash, Shockwave, HTML5 YouTube player; Silverlight player. whenever I would install those and use them at some point the system would lock up for about 5 min. then resume only to freeze again later on.

Almost thought the problem was my GPU or maybe I overclocked the CPU to much. I had no issues playing games or using other programs. When I was using Win8 DP I had no issues with HPET.

After disabling HPET all my system freezing stopped. Now I can use Chrome and Netflix and adobe stuff without any issues.

Does anyone know why those handful of plug-ins would react to HPET and lock up the system?

2. k1net1cs

k1net1cs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD 5650m (550/800)
    Those are probably related more to your GPU (and maybe the drivers as well) since they'd try to use hardware acceleration by default.
    Even HTML5 version of YouTube will still be affected if the browser itself uses hardware acceleration to render pages and decode the MP4 or WebM.

Personally, I haven't got those problems with my ASUS boards with HPET on.

3. N.O.U.G.N.

N.O.U.G.N. Master Guru

GPU:
    GIGABYTE GTX 1080 8Gb
    Thanks, yes the GPU Drivers did lock up and crash some times as well.