Hp Vs. Dell

Discussion in 'Laptops & Notebooks' started by musicetime365, Mar 4, 2008.

1. musicetime365

musicetime365 Banned

One of my friends is on the market for a new laptop recently, he want something reliable, he mainly use it for internet, office words, moive, music and sometimes little gaming. And right now there are sales on the laptop both from the Hp and the Dell, he just don't know which one should be better?

2. Pzykotik

Pzykotik Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC RTX 2070 AMP
    We use Dell machines at work, they're mint.

3. tyxeros

tyxeros Active Member

GPU:
    Inno3D GTX 1080
    +1 for Dell

4. Austyn

Austyn Guest

+2 for dell

5. llerenaprincipe

llerenaprincipe Ancient Guru

GPU:
    DIAMOND X1950XTX 512MB, 650/2000Mhz
    hp pavilion z series

6. [Spitfire]

[Spitfire] Master Guru

GPU:
    ATi HD2600
    for media such as music, photos, videos. HP is better oriented than dell

7. wookiee01

wookiee01 New Member

ive had both HP and now a Dell XPS. id go for dell next time too.

8. soul8103

soul8103 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    8600M GT
    -1 for HP

9. bobmitch

bobmitch Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080 TI XC
    I have owned three generations of Dell laptops. Recently, my brother and I purchased an HP Pavillion dv6700Z for my son...and I have to tell you...the build quality of this machine is excellent!!! Cannot even compare my Dell Inspiron to it...makes my Dell look tinny! Performance wise...the HP has it all over my Dell. The HP has the Turion T64 Gold (2.2 GHZ) vs my Core 2 Duo 2.0 GHZ. HP offers better internals than Dell right now (better speaker system / video cards choices / wireless cards, etc). After 10 years of Dells...my next laptop is gonna be an HP

Bob

10. littledragon

littledragon Member Guru

GPU:
    6600GT
    Of the two, I'd choose the Dell IF it's a Lattitude or XPS... if I could choose any laptop, I'd pick a Thinkpad everytime.

11. aircool

aircool Don Aircooleone Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 560 Ti 448 Core
    So you'd pick the HP over an identically spec'ed dell machine because "HP is better oriented than dell" "for media such as music, photos, videos." ?

I would hope not, as there isnt much different - except dell (from what i've seen) is likely better as stock as generally the HP here's are filled with rubbish and dells come with some dell software and one or two office trials and thats it.

I'd pick dell if its the newer machines and especially for the latitudes - they're built sooo well, getting closer to the magical thinkpad quality :D

12. MountainLynx

MountainLynx Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 570 8GB
    Skip them both and go for an LG. They're the only manufacturer that, to the best of my knowledge, has not had a recall on their laptops. Also, it's been my experience that all of the LG's I've worked on have either been cases of user error, or physical damage due to abuse. I find the parts are really just superior quality.

That said, if you're leaning toward HP, don't go with a dv9000 series, as the left hinges are really weak, and have a tendency to break under normal use.

13. [Spitfire]

[Spitfire] Master Guru

GPU:
    ATi HD2600
    OMG man, just cause you got a latitude, doesnt mean its the best,
    actually latitudes are overpriced bulky piece of ****s
    Hp offers HDMI with all of their models, i mean literally. my 1300$ toshiba didnt have one wtf and opther than the xps range, you don't get them
    and Dells build quality is not upto par with other brands

14. aircool

GPU:
    Wow feel the rage mate. Whats me having a lattitude got to with this? What I said about me picking a lattitude over the HP's is fine as that is my opinion - if the guy who started the thread needs HDMI go get the HP but if you want overall quality and price you go for the lattitude unless there is another reason.

Also not sure what your source is but the lattitudes are hardly bulky or "piece of ****s" and why are you refering to the toshiba then, eh? I can think of a load of lines for that but the diference is I dont say stuff like that.

Last edited: May 13, 2008
  15. CommandrX

CommandrX Guest

+1 Dell - Their Vostro series are really nice and performance packed. I got the wife one for Xmas and while setting it all up I was very impressed with it.

16. k2joyride

k2joyride Member

GPU:
    BFG 8800 GTS (g92) 780/10
    HP for media purposes. They have alot of options on their laptops that seem more user friendly then Dell and I have alot of friends with HP's and they love them (they do not do much more then watch movies and listen to music).

Dell for business or work purposes. I find from personal experience that Dells tend to be more reliable with better support (though this is one sided since I have not dealt with HP's much). As for the latitude argument, latitudes are built with steel frames which is more costly to do but at the same time the laptop itself is alot stronger built (geared toward business obviously as it increases the life of the product).

17. [Spitfire]

[Spitfire] Master Guru

GPU:
    ATi HD2600
    i told ya aircool
    see!!

18. suikoden2003

suikoden2003 Member

GPU:
    GTX280
    i say Thinkpad T61

19. aircool

GPU:
    You trying to prove something mate? Since all that said he was talking from a opionated point of veiw although there are indeed some nice options.

HP also dont forget dont have the same 'goal' in mind like dell.

Or are you being sarcastic, either way you still havent found anything relavent from when I corrected what you said since you must be talking either biasedly or just have got a real poor undersdtanding.

Either way, back on topic ;)