HP G62-b99SL Video_TDR error

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by alfredopacino, Sep 26, 2021.

Tags:
  1. alfredopacino

alfredopacino New Member

GPU:
    ATI Mobility Radeon
    Hello everyone,
    I've installed Windows 10 on a HP G62 laptop (ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5470). Yes, it is old but I think it can handle it.
    The problem is the graphic card. After Windows has finished its installation, that background installation of the drivers Windows does automatically causes a BSOD (and then a boot loop) as soon as the graphic card drivers are installed.
    I've been trying to make the drivers work for a full day now.
    It seems Windows 10 is not officially supported by HP, at least this is my idea, the HP support driver section on their website is embarrassing.
    Although searching around, a lot of homemade solutions can be found to make an ATI Radeon works on Windows 10.

I've tried a lot of legacy drivers, I tried to install them in compatibility mode (13.1, 13.4, 13.6, 13.9, 15.3 and of course 15.7).
    I've tried to replace atikmdag.sys and atikmpag.sys with the ones provided by HP (source)

Any other idea?
    It is too late now for reinstalling Windows 7, my brain has entered in "failure is not an option" mode.

2. Yxskaft

Yxskaft Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX Titan Sli
    It might be one of those cases where the HP laptop requires their modified driver. The latest official driver from HP, be it Vista or Win7, should install on Win10 (install via device manager if it refuses to run the exe)

But it might also just be that the card is defective. It is possible for a defective graphics card to work, but then give a BSOD or even crash completely once the drivers are installed.

Win10 has support out of the box all the way back to the HD2000/M GPUs, and I have used multiple of the HD 5000 cards as well as older without issues.

You could try running Ubuntu or another Linux distro from USB to rule out the hardware being defective.

3. Banana4Nanners

Banana4Nanners Member Guru

GPU:
    6800XT
    You are on a switchable graphics laptop with a CPU + iGPU that are legacy and do not have full windows 10 support, it's an 11yr old tech

4. Banana4Nanners

GPU:
    6800XT
    Your dGPU the hd5470 has windows 10 support, your CPUs iGPU does not technically

5. Yxskaft

Yxskaft Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX Titan Sli
    Just to check, did you know before you installed Windows 10 that that laptop was working correctly?

The switchable graphics should be fixed by installing the HP provided driver. Windows 10 will accept WDDM 1.0 drivers.

6. Banana4Nanners

GPU:
    6800XT
    HP does not provide windows 10 supported drivers for the g62 b99sl, highest supported OS is windows 7. His iGPU from the 460m i5 totally lacks windows 10 support in general from Intel as well

7. Yxskaft

Yxskaft Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX Titan Sli
    That does not matter for installing a compatible driver. Windows 10 officially supports WDDM 1.0 drivers and thus will accept drivers that even supported only Vista. An old Vista/Win7 or Win8.x driver does not have to be officially approved to be used in Windows 10.

An old driver could be unstable, but ruling out support beforehand just because it never did support Win10 officially, or even Win8.x for that matter, that is wrong. TC never did say he tested HP's driver package specifically for his laptop.

8. Banana4Nanners

GPU:
    6800XT
    It's boot looping upon graphics driver install, windows should install the latest driver for it automatically.

HPs drivers are older than most of the drivers he tried as well but it is most likely the switchable drivers conflicting since the 460m's iGPU has older support than the HD5470

9. Yxskaft

Yxskaft Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX Titan Sli
    Windows 10 will not automatically install the appropriate Intel drivers because it only does that for the drivers that were certified for Windows 10. Those drivers you have to install yourself.

HP's specific driver package would include the Win7 driver for both the GPUs, and before TC has clarified if that has failed, it is too early to rule out incompatible drivers. The test he refered to that worked for another user, was for another model.

TC, try booting into safe mode with DDU and click the option to block Windows from installing updates. Then try the specific driver that HP released for your model.

10. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    if no windows 10 driver is supplied the next best driver from 8 or 7 is installed, but with notebooks this assumes a version matching that subsystem is in the catalog.

11. alfredopacino

alfredopacino New Member

GPU:
    ATI Mobility Radeon
    As I said, Windows 10 auto-installs in background the drivers and I get the BSOD and then a BSOD boot loop. After that, I can only enter the safe boot mode and uninstall the driver.

12. Banana4Nanners

GPU:
    6800XT
    Remove the AMD driver and only install the iGPU Intel driver. Report back if it still BSOD. If it doesn't then it's the AMD driver causing the BSOD

13. alfredopacino

alfredopacino New Member

GPU:
    ATI Mobility Radeon
    I use the default Windows ones for Intel iGPU. I don't think that is the problem, although I don't think Intel iGPU is working fine either. With only Intel drivers (autoinstalled) and I can't even change to a resolution higher than 1024x768.

Extra info: the BIOS in this laptop doesn't allow any kind of configuration other than boot order. I cannot disable via BIOS one of the "GPUs" is that normal?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 26, 2021
  14. mylipho15

mylipho15 Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon HD 8790M
    BSOD in laptop like intel hd and amd gpu caused with ULPS enabled by default, you should disable them on regedit manually. Install the driver from device manager on safe mode

15. alfredopacino

alfredopacino New Member

GPU:
    ATI Mobility Radeon
    Where it is supposed to be? I can't find a "EnableULPS" key in HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Video

Attached Files:

• reg.jpg
      reg.jpg
      File size:
      159.6 KB
      Views:

16. mylipho15

mylipho15 Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon HD 8790M
    You have to install the driver first, on safe mode through device manager method, then disable the ulps through in registry and restart

17. alfredopacino

alfredopacino New Member

GPU:
    ATI Mobility Radeon
    Anyway I've kept trying different AMD drivers either from HP or not.
    I've found sp50704.exe (link) it works if I install it in Win7 compatibility mode.
    By "it works" I only mean I'm able to set the native screen resolution.
    Too bad it is not actually very stable. Is it a good sign maybe there is a version that actually works?
    This is how the start menu renders, sometimes.

Attached Files:

18. alfredopacino

alfredopacino New Member

GPU:
    ATI Mobility Radeon
    Driver of what? Intel or AMD?
    The Intel ones are autoinstalled, the AMD ones, which one? That is the whole point. The installation of the most new provided by AMD (15.7.1 WHQL) goes fine, but the drivers doesn't actually work. The autoinstalled ones (and a lot of other versions) causes a BSOD.

What I have tried following your suggestion.
    • I've installed Catalyst 15.7.1 WHQL
    • downgraded the drivers from device manager to the ones in sp50704
    • looked for a EnableULPS in registry and set to 0. In my case it is in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\amdkmdag , NOT in in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Video.
    Still BSOD boot loop.

19. Yxskaft

Yxskaft Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX Titan Sli
    I still think the driver for Win7 or 8 being installed automatically depends on whether the manufacturers have certified them or not.
    Because I have had to install old drivers manually alot of times. The Nvidia Geforce 6 Win8 drivers needed to be installed manually because Windows 10 did not install it automatically when I tested on older PCs. Same deal with various printers and other old USB devices that only had official Windows 7 or Vista drivers, with the manufacturers never having said a word of supporting Windows 10.
    Whereas eg the AMD HD 4000 series have official support for Win10 and the WDDM 1.1 driver gets installed automatically. Same deal for Intel Sandy Bridge.

Sounds like Win10 is just using the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter, which is the general driver for just getting a display.
    If you want to try installing the Intel driver separately, it is this package
    https://www.intel.com/content/www/u...r-for-windows-7-windows-vista-64-bit-zip.html

Intel and AMD's own driver packages never included support for the Intel + AMD Switchable graphics and that is why the only driver that should be expected to work is HP's own driver. And since you cannot get it stable, it is probably the end of the road.

alfredopacino likes this.
  20. alfredopacino

alfredopacino New Member

GPU:
    ATI Mobility Radeon
    Alright, I gave up and installed Win 7. It seems I'm having trouble even there. I'm afraid the GPU itself is part of the problem.