HP disables printers if you use third-party ink cartridges

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, May 17, 2023.

1. GlassGR

GlassGR Member Guru

GPU:
    AMD rx 6650
    Companies like above are beyond capitalism and greed.

2. Dribble

Dribble Master Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 1070
    I have an Epson and that complains but lets me use 3rd party cartridges, which work just as well as the expensive ones. It does upgrade it's firmware all the time so they might do an HP too if they thought they could get away with it.

In my previous printer I did use the expensive ones and it still blocked up and the head was ruined. Equally annoying is they don't let you get a replacement print head easily - even if you can find one it's often near the cost of a new printer. It's hardly enviromentally friendly to have to buy a whole new printer when all that's broken is the print head!

Since then I just use the cheap ones on the replacement printer and they have worked just as well for several years. If anything they have an advantage as I am more inclined to change the cartridges earlier as they didn't cost a lot, and always having a cartridge with plenty ink protects the print head.

3. heffeque

heffeque Ancient Guru

GPU:
    nVidia MX150
    I didn't :oops:

4. erazerswe

erazerswe Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3060
    Haha yes, reminded me of the song "Killing in the name", specifically the line "F*ck you, I won't do what you tell me" :D

Airbud and Horus-Anhur like this.

5. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Preach it, brother.
    IT- it and brother is replaced by Brother, the brand you mentioned.

GoldenTiger, Airbud and reix2x like this.
  6. Crazy Joe

Crazy Joe Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090/24GB
    This is one of the reasons I went with a Canon Ink tank printer when my Epson Photstylus 300 stopped working. I had enough of the cartridge mafia and their ridiculous business practices of selling ink at prices way above the actual cost.

Now I'm set for thousands of pages of printing with the included ink bottles and the replacement bottles are very inexpensive (10 euro for a bottle of black ink and 8.50 euro for the three color bottles each, or if I go the unofficial route 23.50 euros for all four bottles). And these should last for many thousands of pages, something ink cartridges never managed.

7. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Since you said "pages", that leads me to believe you're mostly printing documents and not so much photos, right? Why not use a laser printer? The cartridges are expensive but they can be refilled relatively easily and cheaply, you don't have to worry about them crusting up from lack of use, they often print faster, and you can do many more pages between refills. Color laser printers tend to do a terrible job at photos but they're good for things like logos or highlighted text.

8. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt
    i hate printers and i hate HP printers the most.
    especially the software bloat-a-rama

this is why i just take a (disposable) thumbdrive to Kinko's/FedEx

reix2x likes this.
  9. heffeque

heffeque Ancient Guru

GPU:
    nVidia MX150
    Ah, had never heard of the expression "Preach it, brother"... I see it doesn't come from the kind of English I usually hear, lol.
    Other than "The Wire" and "Lauryn Hill", my exposure to African-American Vernacular English is close to none.

Airbud and anticupidon like this.
  10. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    Didnt the try this before and undid it cause flack they took and there doing it gain? maybe if there cartridges where the cost of a frinking printer it would not be issue? buy there brand cartridge is just that there brand and you pay quite premium for name when other wise there all the same

11. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    You don't need all the bloat - in most cases, you can install the base drivers just so the OS can understand the signaling and then you're done. Nowadays it gets even easier with networked printers that use universal protocols, like Google Cloud Print.

12. cucaulay malkin

cucaulay malkin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    doesn't everyone use ink tanks anyway these days ? If I put gasoline in mine, it'll print with gasoline.

13. Tom Sunday

Tom Sunday Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS ROG Strix 4090
    Yes we really need enhanced user safety furnished by HP and new countermeasures imposed so our printers stop working. Perhaps HP will soon also introduce and or mandate a unlimited lifetime printer cartridge supply for directly interacting with my printer over the internet and with me aggreing to a special 'annual membership fee' of $200 plus upfront? Just yesterday one of my neighbors signed a ‘premium-tier’ annual contract with a major supermarket for unlimited home deliveries. Shelling-out a cool $300 upfront. The store sales rep said that this was a great deal as it covers no minimum purchase thresholds, alcohol and medicine, weekend, holiday and no weight restriction deliveries. My neighbor in turn noted that he is not that good in planning ahead, then a bit lazy and does not mind getting a delivery everyday from the supermarket. The next major safety step might be that motherboard OEMs will insist that any and all add-ons (RAM, GPU, Storage, Audio Card, etc) to the MB must be supplied by the OEM or its selected partners (naturally paying a royalty fee) and to assuring the enthusiasts safety. WTF!

14. Silva

Silva Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX580 O4G
    There's a reason why I stopped using ink printers a long time ago: ink is more expensive than blood!
    Laser printer is the way to go, if you need to print photos just go to a place that can do it.

reix2x, Sylencer and schmidtbag like this.
  15. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    So much greed , sad ...

16. bemaniac

bemaniac Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090
    Thank you for turning me onto the idea of a tank printer. I print maybe a page a month and would like a scanner. I would sometimes like to print a photo too so this method appeals to me very highly.

17. cucaulay malkin

cucaulay malkin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    need to clean it same way as cartridge printer if you print so few pages or it'll dry up. for photo printing you need photo-grade ink too or else it'll look like crap.

Silva likes this.
  18. heffeque

heffeque Ancient Guru

GPU:
    nVidia MX150
  19. Embra

Embra Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil 6950 XT
    My Canon is working just fine for me.

fantaskarsef likes this.
  20. Crazy Joe

Crazy Joe Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090/24GB
    I had the same reasoning. I don't print enough to justify a Laser Printer (which I can use at work if I really need to do high volume work related prints) and the cartridges would dry out too quickly for me to be cost effective (and all the HP shenanigans which seem to also attract the others in the cartridge based inkjet printer space). That and the fact that cartridges for my Stylus (before it broke) became harder and harder to find, made me decide that cartridge-less was the way to go.

The only negative review for ink tank printers I could find was someone who complained that he had ruined his one by pouring the ink in the wrong tanks and that there was no way to fix this. If that is the only issue, I'll just take care to match the colors of the tank lids with the bottles each time!