1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Howdy from Las Vegas

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by tunejunky, Jan 9, 2019.

1. tunejunky

tunejunky Master Guru

GPU:
    RadeonVII gtx1080ti
    hey guys, i'm here at C.E.S. and i wanted to give some take ways from what's already been revealed (so i'm not breaking nda).

the most anticipated tech (non cpu/gpu) that i've been looking at is micro-led display. Samsung put out it's whopper 219" (556cm) micro-led display...amazing.
    but for now micro-led is not the answer. it may be, but their Quantum OLED panels (or LG's OLED) may end up being more cost effective for the living room.
    but i guarantee the next generation of large displays (e-billboards, scoreboards, stadium displays) micro-led will be the standard.
    as far as the Quantum OLED... very very promising, even excellent. using the quantum dots as a de facto color filter is brilliant - literally. the spectrographic analysis is just stunning...you do not see the huge spikes or drops associated with back-lighting or (conventional) RGB filtration. there is no "blue light" issue (the q dots absorbs blue led light and converts it to red or green) as the only blue light is in perfect proportion (natural color temperature). and most importantly direct transmission with no loss, noise, or interference so HDR is as simple as pie. right now Q-OLED isn't ready for the mass market either, but it is way closer than i thought.

alanm, airbud7, Embra and 2 others like this.
  2. FranciscoCL

FranciscoCL Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti / WC
    Any confirmed TV model with HDMI 2.1 + 4K@120Hz?
    If yes, estimated release date?

3. tunejunky

tunejunky Master Guru

GPU:
    RadeonVII gtx1080ti
    all 2019 LG's are hdmi 2.1, Samsung will have all of the top series w/ 2.1

as far as 120hz... that's a can of worms. there is no standardized spec for refresh.
    the vast majority that claim 120hz use BFI (black frame insertion) to fake it out, but that (naturally) produces lag from a game perspective - you wouldn't notice it on a tv show.
    there are true 120hz 4k tv's, but none come cheap...all are over $1,000

4. FranciscoCL

FranciscoCL Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti / WC
    Well, considering that a BFGD (65"-144Hz) is $5000, I'm willing to pay $1000+ for a 55-65" TV equivalent.

tunejunky likes this.

5. tunejunky

tunejunky Master Guru

GPU:
    RadeonVII gtx1080ti
    oh hell yeah...the BFGD by itself is impressive - but not at CES, not with freesync dominating the market, and not by the fact you can buy any size 2019 LG and get freesync and hdmi 2.1

6. MonstroMart

MonstroMart Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 1070 Strix
    Holy ****. Why would anyone buy one of those BFGD at that price? Like you said you can buy a equivalent (120Hz) TV easily for around 2k CAD. Just need to be very cautious with TV though as most don't support 120Hz at 4k when a computer is plugged into even if they are advertised as 120Hz. Still 5k is crazy. Somebody lost its mind at nVidia imo lol

7. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 390/GTX1070M
    I think the BFGD was a test market item, and NV got the feedback they wanted in the lack of sales.

8. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti - RX 580