How to use 120/144hz monitor with 60hz clone with Windows 10

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Valagard, Aug 30, 2015.

1. Valagard

Valagard Guest

Ok, in the past this was very easy to do, with windows 7 or windows 8.1 setting two different refresh rates was very easy.

Why do you do this? Well because you game on your monitor, and have your output to a device like an Elgato HD60 for game capture.

Anyways, with windows 10 no matter what it was locking my gaming monitor to 60hz no matter what. Finally found the solution, this series of steps should work for you, I've done it three times with success.

1. After installing your drivers, go into Nvidia control panel and go to Change Resolution. Make sure every monitor is set to their highest color output, in my case, HDMI output to the elgato HD60 is 12bpc.

Do NOT set your refresh rate here! If you do it will error up and when you clone, it will lock the gaming monitor to 60hz after you clone it.

Then go to Adjust Video Color Settings, under every monitor you have hooked up set "With the nvidia settings" and under the advanced tab set Dynamic Range to Full.

Close Nvidia panel. Reboot.

2. Download Custom Resolution Utility here. http://www.monitortests.com/forum/Thread-Custom-Resolution-Utility-CRU

Run CRU.exe

Under EVERY monitor, delete every profile listed under detailed/standard res. After all are deleted, click OK

Then run restart64.exe file (only tested this with 64 bit windows), which will reset all your monitors.

After your monitors have reset, and all are alive and online, right click your desktop and select Display Settings.

Scroll down and click Advanced Display settings for your monitors, scroll down to related settings and click on Display adapter properties.

In that, click the monitor tab, and there set your gaming monitor to its highest setting.

Click ok, then reboot.

Voila! Your gaming monitor SHOULD be in 120/144hz mode now, and you can freely clone it with your capture hardware without it reverting to 60hz either.

For some reason if you try setting the refresh rate in the Nvidia control panel, it errors up and can't be done.

Hope this helps!

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 30, 2015
  2. robin1693

robin1693 Guest

GPU:
    GFX 970
    So I got the Elgato HD and tried what you said and got it to work, but for some reason when I start Csgo I still get 60hz ingame.
    I have tried to add 60,100,120hz into CRU but it doesnt help.

Do you have any clue? And will this be patched in the near future it's so stupid..

3. Valagard

Valagard Guest

Don't add any refreshrates to CRU

Just follow the instructions.

If you still have problems past that, you probably turned on VSync in game, or told Nvidia to "Use highest refresh rate" both of which cause problems with Win10

And I don't know if it will be patched, its a glaring driver issue and I have reported it, yet nadda out of Nvidia

4. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    Thanks OP.