How to transfer working playlists to another computer?

Discussion in 'General Software and Applications' started by Mod Enerjen, May 12, 2006.

1. Mod Enerjen

Mod Enerjen Member Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 7800
    I would like to be able to share my playlists, which took me quite some time to manually add songs one by one, with other people.

I have my music stored in the folder:

'C:\Documents and Settings\Username\My Documents\My Music'

I then store my playlists in:

'C:\Documents and Settings\Username\My Documents\My Music\Playlists'

I use Winamp (WMP works too) to play my music and when I double click a playlist either in the file directory (windows explorer) or inside winamp's media libary playlists, the songs in the playlist begin playing. I know the file location of each song is in the playlist, so logically it would be possible to play the playlists even if it is on another computer, as long as the file directories where the music stored are the same.

So if I move all of my music onto another computer and create a folder Username in 'C:\Documents and Settings', and then repeat the same folder structure for the rest of the address, (hence have the music stored in 'C:\Documents and Settings\Username\My Documents\My Music') I should be able to play the music regardless of whether I actually created an account Username in the other computer, and regardless where the playlists are stored.

Actually, the playlists on the other computer is still stored in 'C:\Documents and Settings\Username\My Documents\My Music\Playlists'

However, when I double-click the playlists on the other computer, it doesn't play my music. Why is this occuring?

2. Omeguz

Omeguz Maha Guru

GPU:
    GeForce 6600 256 MB AGP
    I'll try to take a closer look later on, but my initial guess would be to protect music from copyright infringement.

3. Infested Nexus

Infested Nexus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon™ HD 8850M
    Open the playlist file on the new computer using notepad, you should see entries such as "File1=\Documents and Settings\User\My Documents\My Music\01.mp3" - is this path displayed exactly where your mp3's are residing on the new computer? If not move the files accordingly or use the 'replace all' feature of notepad to fix the paths.

Additionally, you can use this program to generate computer independent playlists.

4. Mod Enerjen

Mod Enerjen Member Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 7800
    Although I don't see the "File1=" I do see the path of the files and they seem to be located in the same place on both computers so the listed path on the playlist is correct. Perhaps it has more to do with the "#EXTINF:462,BT" ?

My playlists are Winamp generated (I don't know if it's program specific) but all you have is the header, which says "#EXTM3U" signifying a playlist, an #EXTINF, and a file path.

5. Infested Nexus

Infested Nexus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon™ HD 8850M
    The difference is because the playlist type I was reffering to was .PLS wheras yours are .m3u.

If the .m3u file is in the same folder as the songs, then you dont need any file path at all, just the file name.

ex: