How to take ingame screenshot with rivatuner?

Discussion in 'Rivatuner Statistics Server (RTSS) Forum' started by Amilo-D, Apr 12, 2009.

1. Amilo-D

Amilo-D Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 280GTX 702mhz
    Hello good folks of guru3d.

I once came across a guide that explained nicely how to set up RT to take screenshots within games. And it worked great. That was a few years ago and cant sadly recall how it was done.

I tried searching and cant find any guide that explains that, i do know it had something with rivatuner statistic server to do.

Could someone please explain in simple steps how this is achieved?

Thank you

2. boogieman

boogieman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080X
    It's described in RT's own help file.

3. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

Add new launch item and use predefined application browser to associate the item with statistics sever's sceen capture command line parameters.

4. Amilo-D

Amilo-D Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 280GTX 702mhz
    Oh thank you! I never (for some reason) saw at the bottom part of dialog box with "predefined applications".

One more thing.. is there a way to save them in JPG format? or is BMP only supported format? Thanks

Edit: Hmm i tried changing the command to -sc "C:\%ScrApp%_%ScrIdx%.jpg" . Which caused 2 problems:
    1- I took screenshots inside PURE game, and all screenshots had name Desktop_##.jpg (not Pure_##.jpg
    2- The files were not actual jpg, just bmp with jpg extension added to them.

Any tips?

Last edited: Apr 12, 2009

5. Amilo-D

Amilo-D Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 280GTX 702mhz
    I solved that part. Manually ran RTSS app and set monitoring level to Low (was off). That solved the naming issue. However still clueless on jpg format.

6. stangowner

stangowner Guest

GPU:
    2xMSI N550GTX-Ti Cy II OC
    2.07 Release Notes:

Extended list of supported screen capture formats. Now the server is able to capture screenshots in *.jpg and *.png formats for Direct3D9 and Direct3D10 applications. Please take a note that these formats can be also specified while capturing desktop, DirectDraw, Direct3D8 ans OpenGL screenshots, but in fact it will result in storing .bmp file with *.jpg or *.png extensions.

I'm not sure what Pure uses, but if its not D3D9 or D3D10, then this behavior is normal.

7. stangowner

stangowner Guest

GPU:
    2xMSI N550GTX-Ti Cy II OC
    One more thing.

I noticed you are saving your files directly in the C: drive. This is fine for Windows XP, but Vista and Windows 7 do not allow you to create new files (only folders) in the root of the OS drive. Keep that in mind if/when you upgrade. Personally, I prefer a dedicated directory instead of putting them in the root or in RivaTuner's install dir anyways......keeps it a little more organized, and convenient if you are already backing up where you are saving them.

So you can create a folder in C:\ called Snapshots (or whatever you want) and use:
    -sc "C:\Snapshots\%ScrApp%_%ScrIdx%.jpg"

or in my pictures, but you'll have to hard code the path as window's environment variables are not translated (like %userprofile%).

You can even organize your stuff in subdirectories using the application name, but you would have to create the folder ahead of time as RivaTuner will not create it for you. Then just use this:
    -sc "C:\Snapshots\%ScrApp%\%ScrApp%_%ScrIdx%.jpg"

8. Amilo-D

Amilo-D Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 280GTX 702mhz
    Thank you, i think that was the problem. I set up the RT settings and decided to test them in desktop mode, which ofc gave BMP files.

I now managed to get jpg screenshots, then ran into THIS ISSUE and decide to go back to using bmp. Beside, its not a big deal, a few clicks with irfanview handles the conversion nicely.

Also, thanks for tips about file placement. I actually just said C:\ here but actually using D:\ (which is a partition just for games). I usually take a bunch of screenshots and then upload them to my online albums before long, keeping screenshots in root of drive reminds me to upload them faster.
    But i still appreciate your tips.

Thanks everyone, I guess this is solved.