How to stop smoking?

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by Anubis, Feb 13, 2012.

1. Anubis

Anubis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 760 4GB
    Well, as the title says, I need a way (and a damn good one) to quit smoking..
    I'm 25 years old, smoking for ~10 years and the cigarettes are a huge financial impact on me lately..
    A package costs me 2.95€ (when I started it was less then 1€), so I "burn" ~100€ per month, just because of that stupid (and high) addiction..

I'm unemployed (can't get a job because of medical problems + waiting for a surgery, although I earn some money here and there by fixing comps), gf's got a lousy salary, but it's going from month to month..
    Since today, I didn't even have a motivation to stop, but today I got a "proposal" that I can't afford to deny..

I want to build a new comp, either this year, or in the start of 2013.
    Gf said, I can, if I quit smoking.. (~1200€ per year)
    So, you can feel my dilemma here..

So.. if someone got an advice on how to approach this misery, I'd probably be in your debt till the end of times, and you'd earn me an Ivy bridge/Kepler rig, and a upgrade every year onwards :)

2. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    I've quit twice in my life, both times for about a year. I just set myself a date and said to myself "I'll enjoy smoking until then and then quit" and that's exactly what I did. I went from smoking 20 a day to nothing over night, no problem. I lasted for a year both times, without any cravings or anything. My downfall was women, both times met a girl who smoked and all it takes is a puff and you're back on it.

Moral of the story is, if you're willing and are ready to quit, you don't need any aids (patches, electric fags etc). if you're not ready to quit, no matter how many patches you plaster your body with, you won't quit.

3. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    there is no miracle cure.
    different persons,different methods.
    smoked for almost 8 years,and the last year before quitting,i was a 2 packs a day smoker.it was very slow motion death.
    i quitted..how ...i wish y could present you a miracle or something,but no.
    i just refused to light one,i needed badly the nicotine,the smoke gave me stabs in my lungs.so i stopped.
    spent almost a year dreaming almost every night that i smoked.it was a nightmare.sometimes i wake up looking for my pack everywhere,even that i knew there wasn´t one.
    since that day i never smoked.i just drank cold water when i was in need,and put some weight.but i am tall guy,so it is ok.
    what advice to give you beside my personal experience ?
    there is no escape from yourself,you have to face your demons.
    many will try to sell the miracle cure,but i know that there is no such thing.
    addiction to nicotine is something very very nasty.
    try to see you in your mind as a non smoker,and try to think what a non smoker would do when you light one.
    give yourself some credit when you resist,and have fun when a week passes smoke free.start without any promise to anyone,but yourself.

4. Kaktus

Kaktus Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GT 960
    I have to agree with the 2 guys that replied.
    I was a smoker as well and the only way to quit is to be mentally right for it.
    You have to tell yourself that you don't need it, and don't want it.

What i did was, every time when i craved one i just told myself that i don't want one. As easy as that.

I believe now that to stop smoking is a mentally thing, well for me it was anyway. If your are mentally strong then you will be able to quit smoking overnight. :nerd:

5. sverek

sverek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    I quit smoking as I met a girl that I love.

Smoking for me was a temp cure to fill a hole in my heart. I think people tend to smoke as they need something to fill empties inside of them. Some use alcohol, some use nicotine.

6. MrH

MrH Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 Armour
    Every time you think about lighting a fag just remember this:

They make you stink like ****
    They make you taste like ****
    They're expensive
    They're killing you
    They're preventing you from having your dream PC

If that doesn't stop you wanting one, nothing will.

7. Palerider

Palerider Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS X1950XTX
    For me, Chantix was like a miracle pill. It's very expensive, but my insurance covered it. You take it and smoke for about a week, and after that you have no more cravings. After about three weeks, I could sit and watch people smoke, smell it, whatever....I had no desire to smoke at all.
    It had a rep for negative side effects, but the only thing I experienced was crazy extremely vivid dreams. I normally don't remember my dreams, so it was kind of a treat. All night long, dream dream dream.
    Some folks say it makes them depressed though. I highly recommend talking it over with your doctor.

8. Anubis

Anubis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 760 4GB
    I know it's gonna be a hard and painful way, yet I have to go for it..

@Palerider: sounds good, although never I heard of it, and dunno if it's available here..

9. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    My grandfather just threw cigarettes out of the car window and never ever smoked after that.

10. Wrigleyvillain

Wrigleyvillain Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 480 1.5GB
    Try an ecig

11. Foamy4

Foamy4 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX770 4GB
    Nice. :) If you have the will it's as easy as that.

12. eclypse

eclypse Member

GPU:
    QuadFire 7970
    Chantix will mess your head up and for long term! Would'nt touch that stuff PERIOD!

What you and all smokers need is to start vaping using e-cigs! e-cigs have been around the US public over 3-4 years now and have been popular in the UK for a few years before that. The Government dont want you to use e-cigs cause there trying to protect Big Tobacco and they make around 100 Billion in taxes a year from Tobacco! Currently they cant touch e-cigs since they cant claim its a tobacco product.

I'm smoke free for well over 2 years now!

Do a search for e-cig on youtube.com and see for yourself. Theres a ton of different models and MODs (battery tube mods) out there. I started out with a standard joye 510. Then moved on to a longer lasting battery mod called a puresmoker protege.. today its now called a puresmoker icon. Then from tehre on its really become a hobby and i've bought just about every mod out there and really vape only high voltage devices like the Buzz Pro from notcigs.com.

Anyways.. its much cheaper then smoking and at the same time your mind will execpt it since its just like smoking only its not smoke at all.. its just water vapor.. has Propylene Glycol (found in most product your already comsuming) and or Glycerin with some liquid nicotine and food flavorings in it. Theres no tobacco to burn and no combustion so no 2nd hand smoke or first hand for that matter heh, no cancer causing chemicals! Totally harmless to you and your lungs. Vape all you want all day long even through the worst colds without problem.

The biggest forum out there for vaping is http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com

MILLIONS are vaping in the us today!

Oh the perfect starter model out there today is an eGo. The best atomizer to pair with it is a joye 510. Get a drip tip to replace the plastic end. Then drip just 2-3 drops through the drip tip down into the atomizer and vape.. about 5-8 hits later (your'll know when it feels/tastes dry add another 2-3 drops of ejuice.

You can carry small plastic dropper bottles of juice to drip with.

hehehe really a ton to talk about with e-cigs.. and i really could go on and on.

One thing to remember is that theres a ton of manufacturers out there making there own ejuice line. Theres like thousands of different flavors to be found out there.. whatever you like or want, its out there.. All juice will be different from any other so try lots of samples. Even if you dont like a certain one at first you may like it a week later.. taste buds are strange hehe.

Also you can buy the nic level at what you want.. Low like 5-8ml/Med at 10-16ml/High at 18-24 and someplaces 36ml! I vaping nothing but 8-10ml NIC.

Forgot to add that i was a pack and a half Marlboro smoker for 21 years and dropped smoking after the first hit of a ecig! Never smoked again since. You prob will be pretty cranky the first 3 months but after that you'll be all good. You wont be able to stand the smell of smoke after that once you get your sense of smell and taste back!

My fav juice vendors are:

http://www.puresmoker.com
    http://momandpopvaporshop.com/
    http://www.backwoodsbrew.net

Other vendors worth mentioning for there products:

http://www.empiremods.com
    https://www.cignot.com
    http://www.cloudsofvapor.com
    http://www.supertmanufacturing.com/index.html
    http://www.reosmods.com/index.php

Last edited: Feb 13, 2012
  13. Outrance

Outrance Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x HD6950 950Mhz/1350Mhz
    I was in the chemist one day and saw a pack of Nicorette patches. I thought to myself, why the hell not, I've got nothing to lose. I'd been thinking about quitting for some time but never thought about using patches. It was so damn easy I couldn't believe it. They say you need about 10 weeks but I did it in 4. One year later I'm still smoke free.

14. peitro

peitro Member Guru

GPU:
    ATI 5870 m
    Stop smoking !!!

15. volkov956

volkov956 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 TI
    my father stopped buying them that worked...

16. hallryu

hallryu Don Altobello

GPU:
    2x HD7970
    I certainly wouldn't encourage anyone to stop smoking at the moment. In most economies smokers pay a lot of tax and economies are hurting right now.

j/k :p

17. dukedave5200

dukedave5200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG GTX 285 OCX - SLI
    The ONLY way to actually quit smoking is to choose to quit. You have to actually have a real desire to quit. If you're not really solid with that choice it very rarely works.

For me the addiction part is so easy to live without or use patches, gums, meds, etc. What always gets me is the habit itself. Lighting up is intertwined with so many events in my life that that is the hardest part for me to deal with. For example, after a meal, taking a break from work, while drinking, after sex, while driving, etc, etc, etc.

So for me it's always a two part thing. First the addiction to it and again this is actually real easy for me to deal with. On the second thing, about the habit, I still struggle with this one.

I'm not sure if your experience is the same. But ultimately the best way to quit is just do it - make the decision and stick with it. In the end this will be the most successful way and you will be more proud of yourself for having the courage to make the choice and to stick with it.

18. eclypse

eclypse Member

GPU:
    QuadFire 7970
    My mother did the cold turkey deal and it worked for her.. That was like 16 years ago. Smoked for prob over 30 years with Pall Malls.

I didnt have the courage to try.. like you the habit of smoking durring everything and after everything hehe. Plus with 2 young kids.. No way.

19. Anubis

Anubis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 760 4GB
    I thought about that too.
    Patches or chewing gums..
    Does it really work? Cause they're also pretty expensive, and I wouldn't wanna just throw even more money out the window..

20. eclypse

eclypse Member

GPU:
    QuadFire 7970
    I believe the patch was best but everything out there only has like a 3-30% (cant remember the article i read if it was 3 or 30%) success rate of stopping smoking when the e-cig has a 75% success rate.. though personally i believe its much higher then that.

Basicly NIC is not the enemy..Basicly its the same as Caffeine. Its the other 4800+ cancer casuing chemicals and carcinogensin the cigarettes that will harm you. These same things are still found in the Patch and Gum. If you want to get off of that stuff completely, ecigs are the way.

Ask your doctor about them and they will tell you there all for them and advise you to try them.