1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to show StandBy Memory in MSI AB?

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Overclock Application Discussion' started by Eastcoasthandle, Sep 2, 2018.

1. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R9 Fury
    Hello,

Is there anyone out there that can guide me on how to show standby memory in MSI AB OSD or graph using windows 10?

2. Putzo

Putzo Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Interestingly enough, I was just pursuing this same thing a few weeks ago, and this is how and what I got:

[​IMG]

I'm on Win8.1 and I only have the perfcounter for the "Zeroed Standby List" in Aftburner, but the CLI tool "typeperf.exe" shows two more entries in the "NUMA Node Memory" category, one of them being the actual "Standby List MBytes". Not sure what's going on, but the Zeroed entry works fine for this purpose.

Eastcoasthandle likes this.
  3. Eastcoasthandle

GPU:
    R9 Fury
    Wow, thank you so much for this :)
    And your are right zero standby list is something else. When I used rammap to flush the standby list it had no effect on zero standby in MSI AB so it's not the right one.

How does one get to the standby list in MSI AB?

Last edited: Sep 3, 2018
  4. CaptaPraelium

CaptaPraelium Master Guru

GPU:
    I'm sorry but it doesn't. Zeroed memory is memory which has been freed (no longer allocated for use) and zeroed (all cells physically set to hold a 0 value).

Standby memory is memory which has been freed but holds previously used data in case it should be needed again (speeds up your PC), and is available to be allocated as required (doesn't slow down your PC).

5. Eastcoasthandle

GPU:
    R9 Fury
    Is it still possible to add standby list through some other means?

6. CaptaPraelium

CaptaPraelium Master Guru

GPU:
    Perfmon sees it but afterburner's plugin doesn't. I tried adding it manually into the config file and AB won't see a value coming from it, nor will it export it.
    I'm guessing AB is 32bit and needs to be 64bit to see this value, guessing by hints in perfmon and the fact that AB installs to the 32bit program files dir. Not sure.

You should probably ask yourself if it's actually worth the effort. If your standby list is causing you problems there's probably something else wrong with your system. It's effectively just free RAM.

7. Unwinder

Unwinder Moderator Staff Member

Those performance counters are not available in 32-bit process context. If someone wish - you could create helper 64-bit process collecting this specific 64-bit only counter and importing it into the plugin somehow (via some form of interprocess communication, e.g. shared memory). SDK and the plugins' s source code is entirely open - so everything is in your hands. But I won' be doing that for sure, it doesn't worth the efforts at all.

8. Eastcoasthandle

GPU:
    R9 Fury
    ok thanks for the follow up on this.