How to save custom resolutions

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by MaLDo, Dec 13, 2016.

1. MaLDo

MaLDo Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080
    Hi, I have 10 custom resolutions (for downsampling and to force different refreshrates) and I have to re-create one by one every time I install a new driver version.

Is there a way to save/load those resolutions?

Does CRU fix this problem?

2. GanjaStar

GanjaStar Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4G gtx970 1506/8000
    have you tried creating a new custom resolution, and then doing a windows search by file date modified? should help tracking the file that is modified with custom resolution data.

3. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 Ti FTW
    CRU does allow you to export your modifications to a file, which you can then import again after driver updates.

However, CRU is an EDID editor, meaning there's a limit to the amount of resolutions you can add. Read the CRU documentation to see which resolutions to put where.

4. siriq

siriq Master Guru

GPU:
    Evga GTX 570 Classified
    Your and my friend is NvCRBT. I always use this tool to restore all my res after the driver install. Even better! This utility can restart your driver on fly! I have to use this feature a lot since nv drivers are somehow stuck on idle 3D clock many times in windows. Not just for me but for lot of us.
    https://www.monitortests.com/forum/Thread-Nvidia-Custom-Resolutions-Backup-Tool

You can make as many new res with different refresh rate as you like.
    Don't forget to run as admin!

5. haz_mat

haz_mat Master Guru

GPU:
    1070 FE
  6. mootyful

mootyful Member

GPU:
    GTX 760 Gigabyte
    I used to use this before and it worked well. It doesn't work anymore for me though with the latest Windows 10 drivers.

7. Daniel Cohen

Daniel Cohen New Member

GPU:
    RTX 2070
    The tool posted above still works as of Driver Version 456.55. HOWEVER you have to backup and restore the custom resolutions as .REG files. The program defaults to .bin so you must change the file type when saving and choose to save the backup as a registry file.

If you try to backup and restore custom resolutions using the default .bin extenstion it will not work after a driver branch somewhere in the 300's. I can't recall which specific one broke it.

It still works today as long as you backup and restore using the registry method for saving and restoring in Nvidia Custom Resolutions Backup Tool. This was always the biggest hassle when dealing with driver updates or Windows updates. I was so glad to finally be able to backup and restore my custom resolutions. It's especially important for me because I use an AVR between the computer and the monitor and so the EDID data given to the computer from the AVR states 60hz as the max resolution.

However, the monitor can do 144hz, but only 120hz through the AVR. One last bit of info. In order to make sure you can use these custom resolutions on any and every game you play you should create a custom monitor.inf file using Entech Taiwan's Monitor Asset Manager. This makes Windows 10 believe that all of your custom resolutions are standard resolutions that are fully supported by your monitor. This only really matters in games as some of them will deny you the ability to choose 1080p @ 120hz unless Windows considers it a default resolution. As far as I know this only impacts people who have an AVR or some other device between the PC and monitor.