How to remove the USB symbol from the Systray?

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by HoT-DoG, Nov 25, 2004.

1. HoT-DoG

HoT-DoG Member

GPU:
    MSI Geforce 6600GT
    See title :p

I know i removed it once.. i played around with the : "disconnect this device to save power" options... and the icon disappeared!

Just to make things clear.. i want it GONE, not hidden in the systray :p

The icon im talking about is the grey square with a green arrow, "safely remove hardware"

The major problem i have with it is.. whenever i click it with the left mouse button.. it disconnects ALL the usb devices i have plugged in.. (more precisely.. my MODEM!!)

Hope someone can help

thanks in advance

2. Jopn

Jopn Member

GPU:
    Palit GTX 970
    Have you tried right-clicking it and removing the tick in the box for showing the icon?

3. HoT-DoG

HoT-DoG Member

GPU:
    MSI Geforce 6600GT
    i dont have such option.. when i right click it appears: Safely Remove Hardware.. and when i click it theres a list of usb devices i have.. and thats all.. nothing to tick

4. juke

juke Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 980 Ino3D Ichill
    Try customizing the "Hide Inactive Icons" in the Taskbar and Start Menu Properties.

5. Joey

Joey Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2600XT + Panasonic S10
    I have the same anoying little symbol there as well. It would be good to get rid of it because it is useless. The hide inactive icon doesn't do anything it just hides it behind the arrow button. There must be a registry tweak for this. I will try to find out and be back if I find anything.

6. Joey

Joey Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2600XT + Panasonic S10
    Found out there is no way to remove just this icon. There are alot of forum posts on google that ask this exact question and every five posts after the question there is some muppet who says go to customise notification etc etc etc. How complicated is it to simply answer the question asked, hiding is not removing. People answer with some opinonated crap about it not being a big thing anyway. I am going to make stand right now and say this a massive problem that microsoft should fix imediately and make it sp3, on its own. It serves no purpose and is redundant information. For it to be of any use it should say the USB devices you CAN'T remove and should be located in the control panel. There I have said my piece and the question has been answered. Sorry no removing it specifically but you can remove all the icons with this registry tweak. Go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Policies/Explorer. Then create a new DWORD called NoTrayItemsDisplay. Assign it a value of 1. A value of 0 will return the icons. Exit the Registry and reboot. Thats as near as you get.

7. Major Melchett

Major Melchett Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R9 280X @ 1100/1500
    Thanks very much joeydoo, thats great.
    Hurrah no more icons, finally my desktop is icon free, YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    joeydoo, you are da main man :)