How to recharge a (modern) laptop

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by JrKingOfBeer, Apr 10, 2024.

1. JrKingOfBeer

JrKingOfBeer New Member

GPU:
    ASUS ROG TUF 3080
    I myself haven't used a laptop in a couple of decades, bought one for my wife: ASUS ROG STRIX G16.
    It's a laptop that she's going to be using daily but I'm not sure about how we should handle the battery.
    It will be used 99% of the time at home, where we can leave it plugged in, if we want to. Occasionally she will bring it with her when we travel.

I tell her that whenever the laptop is at home (99% of the time therefore), she should leave the laptop plugged in. And once every 2-3 month, have it run on the battery down to say 30-40%, and then put it back on recharge. Rince and repeat.

Is this the way we should be doing this ?

She says that laptop shouldn't be left plugged in all the time as it may damage the battery, but I believe modern batteries have features where the charge stops when the battery is full, to protect its longevity (I believe mobile phones have the same feature ?).

Also, does anyone know if this on particular laptop, we can easily change the battery ? I can't see any obvious access to the battery on the back of the laptop so at the very least I will need to unscrew some screws. But is the batter then soldered ?

Thank you.

[​IMG]

2. Trunks0

Trunks0 Maha Guru

GPU:
    PC RedDevil 7900XTX
    You can just leave it connected all the time. The laptop with automatically take care of maintaining the battery's health.

JrKingOfBeer likes this.
  3. JrKingOfBeer

JrKingOfBeer New Member

GPU:
    ASUS ROG TUF 3080
  4. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
    I've read that keeping lipos between 80 and 20% can decrease wear abit, but ulitmately if you actually intend on using the battery i wouldn't worry about it too much as they have a finite lifespan,

If you don't intend on using the battery, I would just remove it if possible , and leave it charged , lipos degrade via discharge/recharge cycles, so the less often you do that the longer it will last. the only reason to purposely discharge and recharge a lipo , is for re calibration. other than that there is no reason to do it.

the builtin battery management of laptops can be hit or miss, I had an asus laptop which stayed plugged in all the time, and the battery degraded quite rapidly within 5 years it was dead) , at the same time I had an older toshiba , which the battery could still hold a 70%+ charge after like 6 years. also being plugged in most of the time

JrKingOfBeer likes this.