How to put thermal past on my video card properly

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by deltax5, Sep 8, 2005.

1. deltax5

deltax5 Member Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 6600gt adp x8
    I got OCZ ULTRA 5+ thermal past and want to know how to apply it because it don't say how to put it on your video card jest cpu.

2. Sh@rK

Sh@rK Active Member

GPU:
    Club3D 6600GT 128 AGP {watercooled}
    apply just a thin layer of thermal pase. help u're self with some credit card or something similar. that's it ;)

3. blkspade

blkspade Master Guru

GPU:
    Leadtek Nvidia Geforce 6800 GT 256MB
    Application is roughly the same for a GPU as a CPU, the real trick sometimes is getting the heatsink off first. It require some patience and finess, as you have to wiggle it slowly from side to side until it comes loose from the existing paste. In most cases just trying to pull it straight off (especially if it has cooled or not been in recent use) can lead to the GPU being ripped from the PCB, which is very very bad. Once you get past that follow the same steps for cleaning and application for a CPU. If you intend on using some on the cards ramchips as well, take care not to use too much to avoid it going over the edges and touching the leads.

4. deltax5

deltax5 Member Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 6600gt adp x8
    And one more question do i have to take my hole motherboard to take off the heat sink to aplly thermal past.?

5. blkspade

blkspade Master Guru

GPU:
    Leadtek Nvidia Geforce 6800 GT 256MB
    Are we still talking about the video card here or the CPU? Well in either case no you shouldn't have to do that.