How To Properly Update your P55/X58 mobo under Windows 7 (Guide)

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by Year, Aug 4, 2010.

1. thatguy91

thatguy91 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 480 RS 4 GB
    The Intel chipset drivers are just the INF part of the driver that allows Windows to correctly identify the majority of the unknown Intel drivers, and for them to show in device manager. They are 'important' to install if Windows hasn't correctly identified the device (in that the device information isn't part of the Windows driver set) so Windows can use the correct generic drivers or system resources for it. There are some devices where INF's are available, but where you should use the actual Intel driver for best performance (AHCI drivers for example).

If you look at the actual extracted install files, you will find there are no actual driver files. Inside the INF's, you will see the hardware ID's near the top, the hardware names down the bottom, and if a driver (Microsoft generic) is required, you will see something like this:
    If you look at machine.inf, you will see much the same thing on a much grander scale! The hardware ID's at the top, and the names further down. You will see in the names that some cover the same devices (in the situation where -overall was required), and only really the newest devices aren't covered.

The Intel chipset drivers are really just addendums to the Microsoft driver, adding more information as newer devices come out past the date of the original 'Microsoft' driver (Intel etc do play a part in the generic files I believe). So, the newer the OS is, the less likely you will require these inf drivers if you have hardware that has been around a while.

So, in answer to your question, it seems highly unlikely that any change to the device INF installations will provide any difference whatsoever, as effectively you are just reinstalling the same driver, with the exact same features, but with different information showing in device manager. So, if there was a difference in performance then something had been awry with the existing installation, but that again is unlikely.

The ONLY times you will see a difference in performance is if you force install the INF USB 3.0 drivers on Windows 7 for example, or force install the AHCI drivers. On Windows 7, for full USB 3.0 support you need an actual driver (it's built in for Windows 8), force installing the INF will mean you can use the device, but you won't get the full benefit of it with USB 3.0 devices. Therefore, force installing the INF is bad! Then of course, is the AHCI drivers. Really you only want to install the driver part, not the full RST (you can do this easily). This allows for the performance AHCI drivers to be utilised. If you use the -overall command, the proper AHCI driver will be replaced with the INF name and the generic Microsoft AHCI driver, which again would limit performance potential.

2. eMbAh

eMbAh Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 770
    Thank you for answering, and that is very interesting to me. So any difference I might feel is likely 100% placebo? The only real difference I feel is when I change the driver/inf on the PCIE port where my graphics card is connected. The screen will turn black briefly and then it goes back up and the mouse feels different somehow. Is that even possible?

3. eMbAh

eMbAh Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 770
    I am also confused by why it is necessary to even update the drivers manually for example via extracting the files and choosing the All folder, if it turns out there is no difference what so ever between the newer and older drivers past a certain point. Does this method of updating count as "Forcing"? If the best method of updating is simply to run the original installer and only let the drivers that updates from there get updated, why does this thread even exist?

Last edited: Sep 6, 2013
  4. Coldblackice

Coldblackice Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 290X

So just to clarify -- a person shouldn't "force" the INF chipset utility with "-overall"? That's what I've been doing for a long time now. It seems that, otherwise, Microsoft uses their old-as-dinosaurs naming and drivers, keeping drivers on from 2006 (even though I realize the INF utility is driver-less).

5. AATT

AATT Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080
    when changing mainboard but same socket and chipset both asus, do i need to de-install drivers before?

win 7 x64

6. jonny

jonny New Member

GPU:
    8G Samsung DDR3 1333
    Intel Updates

HI,

I found this thread on a DAW / gaming guide, and thought I'd check my Intel driver dates.

I'm on a Dell XPS l502x with an NVIDIA GeForce GT 540M graphics card (with wireless display technology... not that I have anything fancy enough to broadcast to yet, but still, good to know I'm "future-proof":) and the Intel graphics (onboard?) hasn't been updated in 3 years... tried to check if it's the latest version (google-fu failed, went to manufacturer directly, attempt to audo-detect, failed)...

Does anyone know, re the intel hd graphics ("family", 3000) what the latest driver is?

Here's my video spex

Video Card Chip Type Intel(R) HD Graphics Family
    Video Card Memory 3.76 GB
    Video Card BIOS Intel Video BIOS
    Driver Provider Intel Corporation
    Driver Version 8.15.10.2342, 3-25-2011

Video Card - NVIDIA GeForce GT 540M
    Vendor Name NVIDIA Corporation
    Video Card Memory 2.00 GB
    Video Card BIOS 70.08.44.00.11
    Driver Provider NVIDIA
    Driver Version 9.18.13.3165, 10-23-2013

UPDATE*** Also an old HD audio driver
    Sound Card - Intel(R) Display Audio
    Driver Provider Intel(R) Corporation
    Driver Version 6.14.0.3074, 10-15-2010
    Driver c:\windows\system32\drivers\intcdaud.sys

Thanks in advance, great guide (tempted to run reg cleans in that order to see how clean I can get... feeling a bit OCD)

Last edited: Feb 21, 2014
  7. dmxdex

dmxdex Active Member

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 470 0C.
    Trying to update my haswell i5 setup.

Got the latest driver for windows 7 and dates are still 2006.

I tried override and overwrite but neither work. I tried manually updating from the zip folder but nothing.

Really want to update these files.

8. Goose

Goose Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX980Ti Hybrid (+ GT745)
    :nerd:

So, Intel seems to have changed everything about it's utility, and you can't simply get the .zip and do it by hand anymore. They don't even seem willing say which chipsets are covered by a given file, anymore. :bang:

The "-overall" thing, along with admin rights, still seems the way to go, but what about the Vista SP2 part?

And which of these fool files would cover an X58 system? :3eyes: