How To Properly Update your P55/X58 mobo under Windows 7 (Guide)

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by Year, Aug 4, 2010.

1. Retow

Retow Active Member

GPU:
    GTX780 ti
    Personally im shocked at the performance bump updating the drivers manually produced I always assumed the installed did everything automatically but following the procedure here I've gained fps in pretty much everything I use especially CPU bound games for instance my custom timedemos on TF2 have increased by 50fps on the average framerate, same for portal/2 from ~200 to 250-260 fps i can post the sourcebench.csv if needed :)

It has as mentioned earlier in the thread reduced my AIDA cachemem scores a little however but its not a true indication of.. anything really :)

As posts are nothing without figures the last 7 entries are following the manual update.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8782869/sourcebench.csv

Last edited: May 10, 2011
  2. The Chubu

The Chubu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSi GTX560 TwinFrozrII OC
    This doesnt work for me. I have the rig on my profile, Win7 x64. Old board though, P35 chipset. When i put Vista SP2 compatibility and overall flag setup.exe keeps using the CPU for no apparent reason. It doesnt hangs, but it doesnt do anything, just using cpu cycles.

And if i dont put Vista SP2 compatibility and just overall flag, then it doesnt update anything.

Could be just my old board or there is something going on?

EDIT: NVM. Tried with the .zip version. Extracted it. Put the -overall flag on the setup.exe, didnt recognised it. Then added again Win Vista SP2 compatibility and then it recognised. I dun think that it actually updated anything (Everything its from 2008 or 2009 at most) since once not long ago i updated everything "manually" (that is, extract chipset drivers, going to device manager and right clicking and update on everything that had an intel name on it and some that didnt too).

Im going to try the same with my eee 1201pn..

Last edited: Jun 11, 2011
  3. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    MSi N570GTX TFIII [OC|PE]
    ^
    first extract installer, open it and use the inf's from "ALL" folder.. You will have to install them manually in device manager for each intel device.

Once you're in device manager select "view tab" and click on show devices by connection, now expand pci bus and update one by one, well those that you can, 1-2 can't be like pci bridge, and 1 more.. btw you can also usb and disk controllers. O yea by 1 or 2 it will ask you to restart, select later and update all to end.

[​IMG]

4. The Chubu

The Chubu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Thanks! But as i said in the edit, i've already done that :) I woulnt expect a newer driver for a PCIe 1.1 bus anyway lol.

Anyway, ill try again exactly as you said to see if it makes a difference. Now im on my eee, im going to try it here first. It may solve an issue that im having, the "safe extraction" window for pendrives and such takes a lot of time to appear for no apparent reason.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2011

5. The Chubu

The Chubu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nope. Manually or wiht overall flag. most recent controllers appear to be 2009/2008 on my eee (its okay though, most atom chipsets are based on ICH7 lol). I had hoped that it would fix the stupid long times to "safely extract hardware".

Damn single core Atoms! I'd be better with the previous version (1201n, i have a 1201pn) that had the power hungry 330 Atom. Battery would last 3 hours, but it'd be a true dual core cpu at least...

Anyway, any recommendation on improving my Eee responsiveness are welcome...

6. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti H20
    Lots of ways to do that

7. The Chubu

The Chubu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    I mean besides the usual thing like updating drivers, deactivating useless services, defrag, stopping background programs, taking out visual themes, animations, shadows, etc.

8. kens30

kens30 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX 1070 oc
    I have one question Thehunter since we both have the same mobo and ram..how do you update the inf from Gigabyte's website i have read the readme.txt and under win7x64 it quotes that it may not be necessary to update the inf at all?I install win7x64 in ahci mode and under device manager all my devices are ok.Except that they are dated 2006.When i tried the method using the inf's from the ALL folder my devices get updated but they are incompatible with win7x64...(i am so confused because gigabyte's web site supplies the inf already extracted with little to no help at all)
    :)

9. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    um, yea most are from 2006, but that's just it it will update all INF to at least 2008-2009 except for smBus to 2010..

Just grab it here (direct link) http://www.station-drivers.com/tele..._9.2.3.1016_whql(www.station-drivers.com).exe

extract it, and use ALL folder to manually update (device manager>> open device you want to update and pin point to ALL folder, let it update if it will)..

Idk how could they be incompatible with win7 x64.. it should update all important intel devices, like LPC, smBus, PCIe IO, PCIe root,... AHCI will be different since it needs separate driver.

Does this make sense? :nerd:

10. kens30

kens30 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX 1070 oc
    Thanks for the quick reply..The link you posted are the latest whql from intel?right?
    By saying they are incompatible with win7 x64 i think it was my mistake in the installation of the inf not sure since suddenly nvidia drivers started to see my op system as vista 64 and some inf's in the windows\system32 folder are dated 2007 like the usb drivers.what command line should i use?That's if you know...
    and AHCI is giving me a headache as well..Thanks TheHunter

edit:something i forgot were do you get your latest drivers from(ethernet,realtek)Gigabytes site is very slow on updating their driver's at least for old products like ours.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2011

11. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    yes that's the latest (final whql) inf

ok i made a quick video :nerd:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sltf8lA-0ug&hd=1

btw use fullscreen to see anything :)

for AHCI, idk im at native IDE atm, well im using dual boot winxp/win7 and yea i can't enable it now..

But from what i've seen you need to enable it in registry and then in bios and then install the Raid/matrix storage driver..

As for NIC/SB driver well i update NIC here [7.046, 2011/6/22] - is the latest
    http://www.realtek.com.tw/Downloads...d=5&Level=5&Conn=4&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false

i don't use onboard SB, so idk about that.

12. FDisk

FDisk Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX GTX970 OC 4GB
    Do I have to update with that music in the background for it to work? :giggle2:

13. kens30

kens30 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX 1070 oc
    Thanks for all the support TheHunter i just made a fresh install of win7 X64 and pre-installed drivers during the setup the only compatible drivers found by the setup was the smbus controller and ahci controller from the latest inf you provided.Thanks again.
    Btw you dont need the matrix storage manager everything works ok.With it installed the options for quick removal are gone..:)

14. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    ^
    cool np :)

yes lol

no i used it so its not so monotone xD

15. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    So after all this time, is there Software still not install everything? or did they fix the installer?

16. Fusion_XT

Fusion_XT Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1080 X 2139/5400
    Yeah also wanna know !

17. dmxdex

dmxdex Active Member

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 470 0C.
    How do i extract installer? the installer i have just always go to the installation?

Im using the drivers at the top of the page i am not sure they are beta than the alphas at the top of the page?

18. dmxdex

dmxdex Active Member

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 470 0C.
    Only one that doesnt update past 2006 is 82801 pci bridge - 244E

Im using the driver at the top of this page, is that the latest one to use?

19. Sajittarius

Sajittarius Master Guru

GPU:
    2080ti Windforce
    i always assumed intel was giving the latest driver....

just tried this with 9.3.0.1019 and worked flawlessly, all new drivers (2009-2011 dates) now. Thanks guys!

20. eMbAh

eMbAh Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 770
    Is it possible for for example a pcie root driver to cause input lag? I've tried updating to the very latest (7 july) drivers, and the mouse feels different.