How To Properly Update your P55/X58 mobo under Windows 7 (Guide)

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by Year, Aug 4, 2010.

1. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    yes it is, i would say sticky this so more people know about this. Cause honestly I didnt know about this bug or drivers not being updated for the chipset, till I saw this topic and started to investigate it more

Last edited: Aug 5, 2010
  2. MerolaC

MerolaC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AsRock RX 6700XT
    The Compatibility "trick" + overall works wonderfully.

The thread should say "How to properly install/update Intel Chipset Drivers under Windows 7" because it works for all of the chips :D

Last edited: Aug 5, 2010
  3. Year

Year Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 690
    nice, indeed wouldn't be a bad idea for sure. :)

lol agreed, i think a title change would be best.

4. Atlas

Atlas Maha Guru

GPU:
    290 x2, Saphire reference
    Hi Year, thanks for the guide. This should be a stickie indeed. I always assumed Intel could write a descent installer, well this proved me wrong.

5. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    MSi N570GTX TFIII [OC|PE]
    well i had to revert this LPC controller to default win7 2006 driver,
    [​IMG]
    or i get a bit lower mem bandwidth - its small but still I lost around 1-2 fps because of it,.. the rest is ok with intel driver :)

6. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    Im not entirely sure this actual being install right did much, but I do think the pauses in AVP on high detail and DX 10 mode ar less frequent.

Either way I always installed the most recent chipsets drivers when I first installed an OS and I was wondering why it was saying 2006 for most drivers for the longest time, I guess we all know why now.

7. Year

Year Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 690
    some of the default drivers are actually good, for instance people running their hdds as "Sata Ide mode" rather than AHCI or Raid are actually recommended to use the default windows hdd drivers, those are known to give the best performance, reliability and stability.

as for chipset drivers, pays to have them updated, of course as i said many times it really depends on your system, some won't see any difference, some will get lower performance, some a lot of improvements. ;)

i had the LPC updated on my system and got the same exact mem bandwidth, same fps in games but higher fps especially in Resident Evil 5 (2fps more). :p

again this is very dependent on the mobo and your particular configuration.

8. MerolaC

MerolaC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AsRock RX 6700XT
    Still not sticky for this?
    It should be stickied.

Mods, please! :D

9. Year

Year Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 690
    it got stickied and the title changed and fixed, thanks to our mods. :nerd:

10. MerolaC

MerolaC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AsRock RX 6700XT
    Awesome! :D

11. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    How do you extract the files from the .exe to select them for manual install in device manager?

I ran this new update, in compatibility mode (Vista SP2), and put "-Overall" at the end of the files name ran it and most of my "Intel" system devices updated to 2010 drivers. But some did not...

These are the ones that did not update and still ALL say 2006
    [​IMG]
    is this normal or do I need to update them manually, if so how do you extract the files from the .exe to select them in device manager?

12. MerolaC

MerolaC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AsRock RX 6700XT
    No, it is not normal that those weren't updated.
    To extract the files. Add a "-a" at the end of the filename.

But, it' is weird that it did not installed those at first. Be sure that you added the switch correctly at the end.
    And of course, that you made a shortcut out of the installer and added the switch there.
    If that doesn't work, go manual.

Good luck!

13. Year

Year Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 690
    you have to create a shortcut to the Intel updater and add the -A command line.

then double click it will say files extracted successfully, DO NOT CLOSE THIS WINDOW YET or PRESS OK, leave the window "extracted successfully" open do not click OK.

go to C:\users\your username here\appdata\local\temp

you'll find various directories called "IPM" ... eg. IPMx2, IPMx3 etc , just select them all, cut and paste them into a single folder on your desktop.

finally find the devices you want to update, double click it and select UPDATE DRIVER and point it to the IPMx2 directory, you should find inside it a folder called WIN7.

if it finds an update it will update, if it doesn't then you don't need the update. ;)

14. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    Thank you both, I did that and it turns out only one device needed updating

SMBus Controller

All the other when pointed to the WIN7 folder came back with a driver already up to date message.

Thank you.

15. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    ^
    use ALL folder instead of WIN7, you will update the rest, but watch out for LPC intel driver, i saw 30-70mb/s lower mem bandwidth cause of it, test before and after if it changes anything (Everest mem bandwidth), not a biggie but still its better with default win7 driver..

Last edited: Aug 9, 2010

16. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    I did that for them as well and windows said that I already have the latest drivers.

17. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    hm you sure, does it say intel or windos7 driver?

It said the same here, but i still had this win7 2006 driver. I had to manually update an pinpoint to ALL folder, and now its intel too..

[​IMG]

18. colin87

colin87 Active Member

GPU:
    270x xfire
    Damn, guru3d forums are the best! :)

This may be a stupid question. I followed the guide and tried to install. After clicking install, the window disappears, and nothing happens. I can see setup.exe running in my processes, should this take a while? Or am I missing something?

EDIT

Nevermind, fixed it :)

Thanks

Last edited: Aug 13, 2010
  19. colin87

colin87 Active Member

GPU:
    270x xfire
    The problem was, I got a newer driver from station drivers. intel_inf_9.1.2.1008. These only extracts the driver. When trying to create a shortcut for the .exe after extraction, the setup just keeps running. When using INF_allOS_9.1.2.1007_PV and creating the shortcut, that works.

20. mangaroo

mangaroo Master Guru

GPU:
    780 GTX Ti SC
    My x38 had drivers for 2006, updated now (with the -a then ALL folder from dm) and i get 2009/2008. Any real benefits?

Because I like uploading pics..

[​IMG]

I rolled back the LPC drivers after hearing about the memory bandwidth drop

Last edited: Aug 14, 2010