How to properly uninstall detonators(Forceware)/catalysts

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by serAph, Oct 23, 2003.

1. serAph

serAph Guest

it says clearly in the guide which steps are not necessary to whom - including when using driver cleaner.

2. Sher-e-Khuda

Sher-e-Khuda Guest

GPU:
    XFX GTS 250 1GB
    when i reboot from safe mode to normal, the add new hardware wizard detect the drivers automatically. wht shud i do abt it?? cancel them???

3. serAph

serAph Guest

if it detects them automatically, it will install them automatically. The steps in the guide cover how to not let them automatically be installed.

If you mean the driver install wizard pops up when you reboot, thats fine. Point it to where you have your drivers that you want installed, and then clikc next.

4. serAph

serAph Guest

5. locki

locki Guest

great news!! going there...

6. Junk

Junk Guest

someone linked dc 2.5 the other day..

:p

7. locki

locki Guest

:p
    been busy the last two days...:D
    now its haloween break!!! :D

8. serAph

serAph Guest

haha - by all means junk, dont take offense ;)

9. Junk

Junk Guest

:D

just a small FYI..

10. k4t4n4

k4t4n4 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    B
    I dont have an ATI card

11. Junk

Junk Guest

if you can't find the .inf/.pnf files via search, then navigate windows explorer to 'C:\WINDOWS\INF' and scroll down to the oem*.inf files. open up a few of the files looking for the following text:

; NVIDIA Windows 2000/XP Display INF file
    ; Copyright (c) NVIDIA Corporation. All rights reserved.

when you find the file, take note of the name, and delete the corresponding .pnf file (ie - if i found the above text in oem0.inf, i would delete that file, as well as oem0.pnf).

then, empty your recycle bin, and procede from step 3-C..

12. mutantman

mutantman Guest

serAph,

nVidia reference drivers are executables, not archives. Should I run it after Driver Cleaner while in safe mode?

13. locki

locki Guest

actually, they are archives in exectuable form, very much like when you compress something using any archiving utility like 7-zip where you can create an executable file. ;)

14. mutantman

mutantman Guest

Locki,

Sorry. I should have mentioned that I guessed that at least part of it was a self-extracting zip file, but after it unzips, it installs the drivers.

What I should be asking is "Can I just run the executable while in Safe Mode to install the drivers instead of rebooting to install?"

15. locki

locki Guest

:)

here is what i do...
    i uninstall the driver in the control panel, i also make sure my virus scanner doesnt load during start up.
    the computer will prompt you to reboot, reboot.
    log-in as usual, then run driver cleaner. clean. then reinstall.
    then install the drivers you want, however you want. ;)

16. s}{aggy

s}{aggy Member

GPU:
    GTX 285
    everytime i use driver cleaner it delete my adaptor and it cant find the nvidia card??? then i have to reformat ?!?!?!!?

if i use it how do i just del the drivers not the adaptor itself???

i just del by add remove and reinstall.....never has any problems and i dont think much is left behind that way?

how would i del just the drivers not the adaptor...ne1 ever do it like me and fubar the system?>

17. mutantman

mutantman Guest

S}{aggy,

The same thing happened to me. For me, there was an error in the registry and XP wouldn't recognize my card. Thank God for System Restore! I'm at the 52.16 and I want to back up to the manufacturer's last release. I guess I'll need to manually extract the files from the self-extracting exe file. Anyone know how to do that?

18. Vapour_ND

Vapour_ND Guest

Does Detonator Destroyer do anything worthwhile? I noticed it wasn't mentioned in any of the posts.

19. SIOC

SIOC Member Guru

GPU:
    BFG 8800 GT OC2 512 @ 725/1800/2026
    Well... Interesting but confusing.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2003
  20. SIOC

SIOC Member Guru

GPU:
    BFG 8800 GT OC2 512 @ 725/1800/2026
    Well...Interesting but i'm confuse. Do i need or not a cleaning program for my uninstalling process???

My OS is WINDOWS 2000 PRO.

THANKS FOR who knows.

COMPUTER; We don't need it We can't live whithout it