how to prevent windows7 from automatically installing drivers

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by W@w@Y, Sep 18, 2009.

1. W@w@Y

W@w@Y Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Its frustrating..I uninstall the old driver, reboot to safe mode and I havend done driver sweeper yet and windows installs driver for my card :(

how do i prevent windows from automatically installing the wddm drivers?

2. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    MSi N570GTX TFIII [OC|PE]
    you can't its like a vga mode in xp, i noticed that too, i was like wdf how can i remove it then?!!

Then i saw its actually just a safemode driver so that the aero works..when you install a new driver just install on top of it, it will work fine.

when you remove it again it will revert back to wddm..

3. Squall Leonhart

Squall Leonhart Banned

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 275 896
    run driver sweeper.

4. kitch9

kitch9 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7990 3GB
    Improvements in the driver model for Vista which have been expanded on again in Windows 7 actually mean there is no need to unistall anything before you update as its all taken care of automatically.

Uninstalling and sweeping does not actually remove the old files from your HDD, they are still there but just flagged to the OS as ok to overwrite.

The paranoid will try to tell you otherwise, but there's really no need.

5. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    lol for what:stewpid:,

its the build in driver, you can't delete it or you delete the whole component with it (gpu).
    Its a build in driver just like in xp or vista when u delete a driver it goes to a generic one aka vga mode, except here in win7 it actually has 3d compatibility to run aero unlike in vista with only basic aero..

6. Squall Leonhart

Squall Leonhart Banned

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 275 896
    uninstalling and sweeping "does" remove the files from the hdd, they are just backed up using the shadow copy service. regardless, as long as the files are not physically in the inf and system32 folders they are not present to the system.

7. PirateNeilsouth

PirateNeilsouth Ancient Guru

GPU:
    980 OC
    1 ) Boot to safe mode
    2 ) Uninstall drivers
    3 ) Use driver sweeper
    4 ) Reboot
    5 ) Let it install the standard Wdm drivers
    6 ) Reboot
    7 ) Install the nvidia driver of your choice

All works well !

8. W@w@Y

W@w@Y Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    ^^ thanks :D

9. BlueSteel

BlueSteel Member

GPU:
    ASUS GTX570 @ 880MHz
    Just to add to the point of whether or not Driver Sweeper is still needed in Win7:

I once encountered a strange problem in Left 4 Dead. Every time a hunter pounced me the screen got a little darker - which is normal - but it did not go back to the usual brightness afterwards. This added up, so after a few pounces my screen was so dark that I could barely play anymore.

What I did was pretty much what is suggested above, I uninstalled the drivers, sweeped in safemode and reinstalled the exact same set of drivers again. My ingame problem was solved.

So while it might be ok to just uninstall/reinstall the drivers in most circumstances, if you actually run into weird problems make sure to properly re-install that particular set of drivers before calling them bad.

10. Pvfc-Epic

Pvfc-Epic Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX560Ti DirectCU II
    system doesnt let u move or alter those files in windows 7 i had this and then realised wen i tried to remove them or even rename them in system 32 that they are basic drivers so 7 knows wat device u have for future driver updates

11. GanjaStar

GanjaStar Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4G gtx970 1506/8000
    in win 7:

right click on my computer icon, properties, advanced system settings,hardware, device installation settings. Open it up and select never install driver software.

This will allow you to unistall a driver, reboot, and not have windows automatically install the driver stored in windows folder.

12. Squall Leonhart

Squall Leonhart Banned

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 275 896
    Windows 7 system32 >requires< that you open it as run as admin, otherwise you are accessing it with read only permissions.

13. TheAgeOfMen

TheAgeOfMen Master Guru

GPU:
    750M
    Go to system propertys > advanced > hardware > device installation settings.

Run Drivercleaner, reboot, have fun (maybe u want save mode) .. :pc1:

14. Squall Leonhart

Squall Leonhart Banned

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 275 896
    i won't touch drivercleaner since it started requiring $$$$

Driversweeper does its job, and does it rather well.

15. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    just saw this about the WDDM 1.1 driver, like i said you can't erase it and this is why...

source: http://www.techarp.com/showarticle.aspx?artno=645

16. Selo

Selo Member

GPU:
    XFX GTX295
    those suggestions above doesnt work for me

i have problem with card overheating for some reason after 186 ones

if i just install the 186 over 190 ones crad still runs warm. i have to uninstall drivers in safemode, run driversweeper and install driver for it to stop overheating.

17. chinobino

chinobino Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 2070 Mini OC
    I deleted it accidentally with driver sweeper once... so it can be done.

When Windows 7 booted up it just used a generic VGA driver (no aero).

18. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    Where does it state that you can't erase it?

19. dukedave5200

dukedave5200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG GTX 285 OCX - SLI
    Just go into Device manager and uninstall and delete the driver... Simple...

But why would you do that? I have never ever had any problems installing drivers and only once did I ever have to use driversweeper and that is when I went from a ATI x1900xtx to a NVidia 8800GTX... Other than that one issue there I have never ever had to use a driversweeper or do anything other than the normal uninistall from windows and most of the time I just install updated drivers over top of existing drivers, and I've never had an issue.

Even when I tried the 190 drivers and started having some issues it was quite simple to uninstall them and installed older 180 drivers...

20. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    i saw it my self, if i erase it then the device manager deletes the gpu too.. and if i run nv display driver it can't find the gpu..