How To OverClock your Nvidia card Running Windows Vista

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by pyrogogo, Feb 10, 2007.

1. pyrogogo

pyrogogo Member

GPU:
    NVIDIA GEFORCE 7300LE
    Hi i searched for ages and finaly found a way to overclock my nvidia card

first off you need to goto your computers control panel, and then double click on accounts, once that is open click on turn user accounts controls on or off,
    then turn off user accounts controls, apply and restart computer

next you need to download and install ntunes from nvidia and restart your comp
    http://www.nvidia.com/object/ntune_5.05.22.00.html

once its all installed and you have restarted your computer there will be two new programes, "start/program/nvidia corperation" the programes are nvidia control panal and nvidia moniter

nvidia monitor monitors temps and fan speed and nvidia control panel "NTUNE" allows extra control of clock speeds

ok now what you need to do is right click NTUNE and run as administrator and set your overclocking to the way you want it, good luck

i have tested this with benchmarks " rivertune" and windows experience rating to see if it made any difference and the clock speed does go up.

i have heard reports of this not working or resetting after a reboot, if it does reset upon reboot just reset it!
    if this works for you please give me your feedback, thanks pyrogogo :thumbup:

Last edited: Feb 12, 2007
  2. pyrogogo

pyrogogo Member

GPU:
    NVIDIA GEFORCE 7300LE
    oos didnt mean to reply

Last edited: Feb 10, 2007
  3. 3FaCE

3FaCE Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX470 stock
    Nope, doesnt work. No matter how much you over or underclock when you click apply the settings are tested, fail and revert back to regular clock speed.

4. pyrogogo

pyrogogo Member

GPU:
    NVIDIA GEFORCE 7300LE
    thats odd 3FaCE, mine seems to work fine, this is what i have to do
    i goto ntune then select custom clock frequencies, now at this point both both factory shipped clock frequencies (no overclocking) and custom clock frequencies are selected at the same time, i then hit find optimal, it searches and the screen goes fuzzy, after the search the check box for custom clock speed is selected only.
    my core speed is 855 mhz and my memmory bus is 1101 i think this is too high so i bring the clocks down to about 550 and 650 "defualt being 450 526"
    i then apply changes close ntune down and check the speeds with rivatuner,nvidia monitor and then ran windows experience on all results my gpu was @ 550mhz, 650mhz and my windows experience rating on graphics went from 2.9-3.2

so i guess it must be working for me, the only thing that happens is when i reboot it resets itself to defualt but thats not that much of an issue as its not hard to set it again

here are some pictures this is my defualt settings​
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And here are the pics of my overclocked gpu!!!​
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

as you can see it does work hope this helps you all and good luck overclocking in windows vista, oh please let be know your results and if you can get this to work Many thanks Pyrogogo :thumbup: ​

Last edited: Feb 12, 2007

5. Ronaldo

Ronaldo Banned

GPU:
    BFG 8800 GTS OC 640mb
    do 3dmark with stock and OC see if vista takes advantage

6. pyrogogo

pyrogogo Member

GPU:
    NVIDIA GEFORCE 7300LE
    what do you mean when you say vista takes advantage?

7. BigZ

BigZ Member

GPU:
    XFX Radeon HD 6870

The same thing happens to me.:eatme2:

8. mar-one

mar-one Member Guru

GPU:
    Evga / GTX550Ti / SLI 4g
    what drivers are u useing pyrogogo ?

9. MrBozack

MrBozack Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 7850OC Windforce
    I just use early XP forceware and lose the areo.
    Works for me.

10. Hog54

Hog54 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus Tuf RTX 3070
    #1 you cant check factory shipped clocks and custom clocks at same time.
    #2 When i hit find optimal it does absolutely nothing.

11. mar-one

mar-one Member Guru

GPU:
    Evga / GTX550Ti / SLI 4g
    this doesnt work and when I try to run ntuner my screen fashes about 30 times before the control panel comes on.

12. BIGWORM

BIGWORM Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sparkle GTX 260 SP216
    I click Optimal and my card actually UNDERCLOCKS -20MHz in the Core. WTF! =/

13. Princess_Frosty

Princess_Frosty Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX580 Twin Frozr II
    Same thing happens to me, it fails and actually underclocks the core by about 25Mhz...

Running a 7950GX2 with 100.59 drivers.

14. Princess_Frosty

GPU:
    MSI GTX580 Twin Frozr II
    Im guessing that the testing utility isn't working correctly and it's just assuming that the clocks are failing and then setting them lower as a safety measure.

I also noticed that the "Stability Test" link that appears in the start menu doesn't do anything for me, I'm just wondering if this is the same thing?

In which case can you please right click the shortcut and goto properties and copy the text out of the Target line, it should look like this:

C:\Windows\System32\nvcplui.exe /page:{8167C67B-5B24-43DE-AC3A-02D10CD365B6}

I'm wondering if this is different depending on somethign in the installer, in which case it might be that if we have a working switch for the nvcplui.exe we can copy it and test it.

I'm just poking around the registry now and also checking out the profiles, I've altered the default profile with a text editor and set the memory clock higher and then made a rule in the control panel to load that rule on windows startup, but it doesn't work.

I'll keep looking, but if someone can post that target info as requested, who has gotten overclocking working OK, then it might help.

Cheers.

15. pyrogogo

pyrogogo Member

GPU:
    NVIDIA GEFORCE 7300LE
    ForceWare Release 95
    Version: 97.46
    Release Date: January 5, 2007
    WHQL Driver

16. pyrogogo

pyrogogo Member

GPU:
    NVIDIA GEFORCE 7300LE
    when i click on custom clock frequencies both factory shipped clock frequencies and custom clock frequencies are selected at the same time

see pic​
    [​IMG]

when i hit find optimal and it finishes it search my core bus and memmory bus increase to 855, 1101, and custom clock frequencies is selected only,
    see pic​
    [​IMG]

hope this helps

17. Princess_Frosty

GPU:
    MSI GTX580 Twin Frozr II
    ah that explains it, well I want to keep the latest drivers installed due to them performing a whole lot better in the first place.

I'll just wait...

any wait...

18. PETEY

PETEY Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 8800GTS
    Thread has convinced me to "Buy" Vista this second.

19. kpatrickm

kpatrickm Member Guru

GPU:
    8800GTX
    DONT use the 100?? drivers use the 97.46's

BUT when i click to find maximum overclock it clock the card WAY over what I suspect it can handle so I just drop it back to where I know its safe.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2007
  20. Rzrwr

Rzrwr Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS radeon R9 290x
    i installed ntune but nothing is displayed all it says is select a category and there is nothing under it any ideas?