How To Overclock? Please Help.

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by kanej2007, Aug 13, 2008.

1. kanej2007

kanej2007 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    I tried to insert a picture on the previos post but it did not appear.

Could somebody please tell me how to add a picture?

2. Psychlone

Psychlone Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD5970 Engineering
    ^ You have to use an uploading site such as Imageshack.us or Photobucket.com - there are lots of them...upload it to one of those sites and then copy the FORUM HTML into the little "Insert Image" icon at the top of the 'quick reply' - in the line with B, I, U, (color), (link) ...

Psychlone

3. kanej2007

kanej2007 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    Cheers, I will try uploading the picture again.

[​IMG]

4. Ieldra

Ieldra Banned

GPU:
    GTX 980Ti G1 1500/8000
    You have a lot of dust.

5. robtorbay

robtorbay Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980ti SLI
    hey man, i like the mobo i have the same one. as for overclocking with it, well thats not a problem thats what they made the mobo for. Your 6000+ wonderful choice for a cpu but that cooler, DAM u need to through that out get something like a zalman CNPS9500. . Id suggest that ya do some research on the chip as well to see what its threshold for overclocking is stated from AMD. Ether then that have fun like everyone says google will offer many guides, i just play with multipliers, FSD and Voltages. Stress test using 3d mark 06. Good Luck bro.

6. kanej2007

kanej2007 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    Thanks everyone for your support.

And yes, my system is very dusty, shame on me, it needs a good hoovering!!

Tomorrow, once I get my new cooler, I will let you lot know what temperatures I get!

7. teddyboy

teddyboy Member

GPU:
    evga gtx 260
    Honesty its great to tell him a set up, but without knowing what they do, hes just pulling the lever, I think he should do more research on this subject, and just because it works for you it doesn't mean it will work for him on the exact same set up, CPU are indifferent alltogther even within the same model, it just meant they met certain quality inspection.

8. SaltyDog1976

SaltyDog1976 Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX-285
    I came accross this site today via some other thread on Guru3d. I'll be referring to it when I try OC'ing.

***A lot of the information on that site is old but it gave me a better understanding for the basics.:pc1:

Last edited: Aug 15, 2008
  9. Psychlone

Psychlone Ancient Guru

GPU:
    @SaltyDog: Much of that information in the link you provided is useless to AMD, and all of it is outdated - it was written in 2003, when P4 and K6 were mainstream... You may want to check out some other places referring to Intel when you're trying to overclock your system, you probably won't get much help here in the AMD section...;)

@ Kanej: You need to do some *serious* cable management when you do your cleaning...those cables/wires are going to lead to high temps for everything in that case because they are restricting airflow like you wouldn't believe.

And, if you're Hell bent on overclocking, follow my guide for overclocking the Phenom HERE - it's actually made for any AM2/AM2+ board, but it's written using the BIOS directly from the M3A32-MVP Deluxe.
    The only thing that's different in that guide that applies directly to your setup is a couple lines of the math. The below is the math that YOU need to use:

(CPU Multi) * (FSB) = (CPU Freq)
    (CPU Multi) / (Memory Divider) = (Divisor Ratio) (ALWAYS ROUND UP!!!!!)
    (CPU Freq) / (Divisor Ratio) = (RAM MHz) * (2) = (DDR MHz)
    (HT Link Speed or LDT) * (FSB) = (HT MHz)
    And, for you specifically, your board and CPU combo are NOT going to be stable at anything higher than 1000MHz, so remember the higher you raise the FSB, the higher your HT is, so you'll have to drop it down to 4X (800MHz) or even 3X (600MHz) at some point. - Same goes for your RAM - you've got to run it at a fraction of it's rated speed if you increase the FSB high...this is why we have dividers.

Read through my Phenom overclocking guide and you'll understand EVERYTHING that you need to know to overclock your system. Keep in mind the math that I posted above is different because it's for YOUR setup, not the Phenom like what I wrote in my guide.

Good luck!

Psychlone

Last edited: Aug 15, 2008
  10. kanej2007

kanej2007 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    Thanks psychlone for your info, I will refer to your phenom guide.

I will need to refer to it as I'm NEW to overclocking a CPU, never done it before!

As my house is full of THICH carpets, it does NOT help at all with dust and when I clean my room, 30 mins later, the dust is back!!

But yeah, as you said, dust is really no good when it's all over the place, wires, connections, etc.

I usually clean my system once every few months which is not enough, I really need to do it every month at the most, it's just me being lazy.

I'm still waiting for that cooler to arrive sometime today, citylink is the courier who will be delivering it sometime today between 9-5!!!

I will update you all soon when I install the new cooler and inform you what temperatures I get!

My previous cooler was really no good, was a basic silent Akasa which only span at 1400 RPM, not enough!!

I knew at the time I bought it, it was not sufficient, but the crap shop I was at did not have the cooler I needed at the time.

Instead of me being patient and buying another one or ordering a proper one from the internet, again I was lazy and bought that crap and after installing it and running my machine, My cpu would be around 55 degrees idling and while gaming around 60 something, and that was a stock speed without overclocking which is no good!!

This teaches me to be patient and if there is a part I need, I mist get the right one, not to be inpatient and get some crap!!!

Sorry for my large story!!

11. kanej2007

kanej2007 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    I received and installed the new cooler, I turned the pc on and I get the ''no signal'' problem!!

I checked every connection and all looks well. I even tried different cables for the monitor, hd, dvi and even vga and I still get no signal.

I put my speakers on and I get the vista start up sound and go into windows but get no picture!

Any suggestions??

12. SaltyDog1976

SaltyDog1976 Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX-285
    I understand what you're saying here. I put that there because of the very basics it got down to. Being a nub, I'm finding that a lot of people on these forums just assume that I know basic terminology. I don't, or didn't at least. I'm getting more and more familiar the more I read.

Here's another thread I found last night. It deals with Intel and breaks it down to bare basics. Probably the most helpful guide I've read yet. It's fairly current (May 08 I believe I read) and is geared towards nubs like me. :newb:

13. kanej2007

kanej2007 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    I got my pc working now, The graphis card was not properly connected! It's so stiff.

Anyway, amazingly, my cpu temperature dropped from 99 degrees to 50 with the new cooler!

14. Psychlone

Psychlone Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Hang tight there kanej...I should have said this BEFORE you got your new cooler...I got sidetracked on tangents.

The first thing I do when I receive a new HS/f assembly is to check it's base for flatness and sheen (mirror-like) by setting a razor blade's edge all the way across the surface of the CPU-side of the base, corner to corner, then side to side - you're looking for any light coming under the blade. If you see *ANY* light at all, then the base isn't flat and needs a bit of lapping (where you remove a very small amount of the metal by sanding with 400grit up to 2000 grit sandpaper) - this makes the bottom completely flat and also with a mirror-like finish...this is important because the thermal paste is used to fill in micro-scratches, not fill in gaps because it's concave/convex.

Hopefully, it's not too too much trouble for you to pull out the new HS/f assembly, clean it off real well, and test with a razor blade - just to see if it's flat...because if it's not, then you're in the same exact boat you were in before, you'll be limited on your overclock headroom because of heat, even though you have a better cooler with a better fan...

Psychlone

15. kanej2007

kanej2007 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB

Hi, thanks for your advice, I checked everything and all looks well.

Strangely, after overclocking from 3.0 to 3.2ghz, it still seems to say 3.0, even in the bios....

And after running cpuz, why is the cpu core speed going up and down?

It goes 1004.8, then 2200, then 3015mhz, etc. Is that normal?

I included 2 screenshots, one of the new cooler and the second of the cpuz reading at it's highest...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. kanej2007

kanej2007 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    These are the temps I get after intense gaming, any good? Average?

[​IMG]

17. kanej2007

kanej2007 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2008
  18. robtorbay

robtorbay Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980ti SLI
    these temps are they at load or idle? if there idle you may want to check into your system cooling. just form my own perspective im using an antec 900 gamers case and my mobo hits 28 Degrees under full load and i have the same mobo as you. if your cpu temps at idle thats going to heat up over 60 degrees under load and thats a tad hot in my opinion. all the same man sweet job on the dusting :D

19. kanej2007

kanej2007 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    Haha, yeah, took me AGES to dust. Funny thing was, when I removed the cooler to change, there was SOOOO much dust beneath it, balls of it covering the cpu, how the hell did it get in there!

Anyway the whole system was cleaned after god knows how many months!

The temps you just saw were load, after intense gaming, I will turn my pc on now and see what idle temps I get....

Here are the temps idling:

Motherboard 39 - 41
    CPU 44 - 51
    CPU 1 48
    CPU 2 44
    GPU 1 60
    GPU 2 64

After Gaming:

Motherboard: 55 (Max)
    CPU 54 (Average)
    CPU 1 58 (Max)
    CPU 2 51 (max)
    GPU 1 77 (max)
    GPU2 73 (max)

Sorry for not taking a screenshot as I was lazy to do so! And besides, the above temps were average, constantly going up and down!!

20. robtorbay

robtorbay Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980ti SLI
    for load temps thats not to bad slang as the cpus under 60 your usually good when overclocked. Your motherboard still looks like its still getting pretty hot. im only going my own system and as i have the same mobo there temps should be around the same. Im getting 25 - 28 degrees thats idle and gaming temps. question for ya, what is your case cooling like?