How to kill your i7 980X

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Dahbob, May 30, 2010.

1. PantherX

PantherX Folding@Home Team Leader Staff Member

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti
    With my i7-860, I had to upgrade the BIOS and then when I booted into windows, I realized that I only had 2 Core and I was missing 6! I went to BIOS and reset everything to default and then restarted to find all 8 cores available. After reading this, I consider myself very lucky, who knows if this "bug" is present in all i7s

2. Zer0K3wL

Zer0K3wL Banned

GPU:
    gtx 480 850/1700/2000 h2o
    thats exactly what i'm wondering lets hope not tough if disabled core's in past before on my cpu.

3. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    To be honest though, I think the last thing you worry about wwith this chip Is saving power...

4. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    curoious to know who buys 6 core pricey CPU and disables 4 cores and all HT? like why would you want to anyway? If its to save power then you bought the wrong CPU period. Thats why you get a second PC with an Atom cpu or something, like Eee desktops or a laptop.
    lol, save power.

5. UZ7

UZ7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB Vision 3080 10GB
    Well there are those who will use/abuse the method to basically get an RMA replacement of the chip. Say you are an overclocker/benchmarker and the chip doesn't OC as high as you want it. Kill it and RMA it so you can get a replacement and start the whole process over. Of course those who would feel guilty won't do it but there are a lot who do. :p

6. Chock

Chock Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x670GTX @40"+26" Samsung

i do that for example. i have a laptop with an i7 and i do disable 2 cores when i dont need em.
    http://s210.photobucket.com/albums/bb51/ChockNorris/?action=view&current=SAM_0020.jpg

especialy when it might not be possible to recharge the batteries right away. disabling 2 cores will increase the battery power by a huge amount.
    the cpu at full power draws 140W. in normal use the battery is able to hold out for a litle over an hour.

7. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    oh yes, laptops i can understand. i run mine on minimal power settings and limit cpu usage % but its dual core anyway.

8. TheSarge

TheSarge Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 TI FT
    RTFA.
    No, you have to turn off hyper-threading and then disable some of the cores.

9. Year

Year Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 690
    nice tip! i'm going to screw all the rigs of my friends now.

[​IMG]

10. Outrance

Outrance Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x HD6950 950Mhz/1350Mhz
    Aaaand the Pope strikes again. You'll destroy you're "friends" rigs free of charge but the Pope charges a lifetime of prayer and worship. And who is the evil one?

oh, btw, :D

11. Year

Year Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 690
    hahaha, good one. :D

12. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Matrix 285
    Christ, this is shocking. I can't believe something like this ould get past Intel. It is definitely an issue they are going to have to face up to if it is truly reproducable.

And I couldn't help but laugh at the people thinking disabling cores is going to pump all the juice through the last remaining one. Wouldn't dual core i5s (for example) only need half the volts of a quad core i5 if that was true? Clearly not the case.

The resistance question is an interesting one though. I can't imagine Intel to have not thought about the resistance when disabling cores, but who knows. If it is something as simple as that, then surely all CPUs would just die when cores are disabled? Who knows.

As for the analogies, why the hell are people even trying to make one?

13. Sash

Sash Ancient Guru

GPU:
    video
    only one way to find out!
    :eek:c:

14. allesclar

allesclar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    oh dear oh dear intel.

15. heliman41

heliman41 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 260OC -640/1300/1100
    I could happily live with this small prob as id never shut down anything on the processor only the price outta now be say....................$100?
    Id jump from AMD quite happily if they did this.

16. Bodar

Bodar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Lots of Fermi'zzzz
    I'm going to try it right now.. Lets see what happens.. My retail chip clocks like crap anyway.. :) I've used 2 cores / 1 core / 3 cores / 4 cores all with ht disabled and enabled on the 980x.. I've clocked them really high using LN2 and nothing has ever happened.. He probably just got a bad chip or maybe some of the voltages were off a bit.. I guess you never know.. It's probably the mobo as well. Which one was he using. I did this on the UD7 and the MSI gd80 with no problems.. Hav'nt tried the rampage lll or classified yet though.

17. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    Make sure you do it in the same order too, never know, maybe its the problem.