How to instantly Kboost (WARNING)

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Cru_N_cher, Jan 3, 2015.

1. Cru_N_cher

Cru_N_cher Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI NX8800GT OC
    This is dangerous especially 3D applications can crash, some 3D applications though are smart ;)

For example

Internet Explorer = Survives
    Firefox = Crashes

;)

What do i need:

1. MSI Afterburner 4.1
    2. EVGA Precision X Skin
    3. devmanview http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/device_manager_view.html

Step 1.

Watch and follow the steps by Unwinder how to get the EVGA Precision skin working.

Step 2.

Extract and Execute devmanview (url above)

Find the Name of your Active Nvidia Graphics Card

it will be something like

Nvidia Geforce GTX xxx

Step 3.

Change to the EVGA Precision Skin like seen in Unwinders tutorial select Kboost but cancel the restart (not adviced you have been warned) ;)

Step 4.

Open a Console/Powershell or whatever shell with the directory you extracted devmanview into.

Now type

devmanview /disable_enable "NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970"

The Driver will restart and Afterburner should jump to the highest clocks and Voltage immediately ;)

To disable it just select kboost again cancel the restart advice and once more restart the driver the clocks and voltage should fall back to normal.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 3, 2015
  2. Goldie

Goldie Banned

GPU:
    evga 760 4gb sli
    very impressive, thanks for sharing.

3. Cyris

Cyris Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 TI
    Or test this without tools..

Use "regedit", search after Card ID e.g "4D36E968-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318"
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Video\{*gfx card ID*}\0000 or with IGPU 0001

Add:
    • "PowerMizerEnable"=dword:00000001 [1 for on, 0 for off]
    • "PerfLevelSrc"=dword:00002222 [or 3322 for different battery and AC settings] ... 22 is for fixed setting and 33 for adaptive
    • "PowerMizerLevel"=dword:00000001 [1 = high, 2 = med, 3 =low] ... this is the setting for when using battery
    • "PowerMizerLevelAC"=dword:00000001 [1 = high, 2 = med, 3 =low] ... this is the setting for when using AC

Optional for temperature safety underclocking override:
    • "EnableCoreSlowdown"=dword:00000001
    • "EnableMClkSlowdown"=dword:00000001
    • "EnableNVClkSlowdown"=dword:00000001

cryohellinc likes this.
  4. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    Thanks for quick guide :)

5. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    Nice. I hope this works well, I really like using K-Boost with my card. This helps me be more OK getting another brand. I love having this idle/full boost switch setup on my macro keys, once I got the power to choose when I idle and when I'm going full blast I hate losing that control.

6. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    Let me know when someone finds way to enable k-"boost" as the "3d" clock speeds automatically that dont castrate power states and require
    A. modifyed bios
    B. Macro/Batch files to switch from idle to boost speeds.

Im sorry but Boost is the single worse idea nvidia ever came up with. I dont like the idea of my clock speeds and volt dynamically changing depend on what the "gpu" thinks it needed.

If there one thing i learned over the years Automatic OC/Voltage is anything but optimal. Now IF this boost was static boost in in speed and voltage meaning it either on or off no dynamic crap I might not care. There is enough thing causing stutters/latecny issues on gpu and driver with out the cards dynamically change boost speeds and voltage every 5 seconds cause it "think" less power is needed.

If i could of disable boost on my card and not castrate my power states I would done so by now. and just oced my card to the boost speeds. but that requires modified bios..

Maybe one day nvidia will let use disable boost in the drivers and keep our power states. if intel can do it so can nvidia.

I think it a marketing ploy to get more sales that just made the bad factory OC some manufactures do more apparent.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2015
  7. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    Yeah, boost is annoying for us people who know what clock is the highest safe clock for our card. And boost rarely ever takes it to that clock regardless.

I love the macro setup though. Works great on my G15 G-keys. Another advantage is you can run multiple monitors at idle speeds.

8. Dragondale13

Dragondale13 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 AMP! • H75
    Umm, selecting maximum performance in game profile sends my clocks to max boost of 1215mhz on each Gpu.Though I've modded the bios for both.They'll still throttle at 70*.Wouldn't mind if they could get rid of that instead.It's too low a temp to throttle a Gpu, sh@t is annoying.

9. Cru_N_cher

Cru_N_cher Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI NX8800GT OC
    You forget about the VRMs they are also playing a big role in the Design the Powercircuit gets pressured heavily the more load the card is under and it's suspected that Nvidias cards monitor this as well but it's not shown ;)

normally a Mosfett can take a heavy amount of heat before it becomes critical but due to compute tasks of heavy nature (which are on the rise) we really pressure them already a lot.

Tests shown that already the Cards can reach easily 100°C a Mosfett ist mostly certified up to 125°C with "safe" overclocking allowed by the Manufactures out of low cost PCB Designs it can be that this is almost reached and becomes critical especially if the ambient temperature rises for example in the Summer.

You would need Millitary Classified Components which would higher the cost for the Manufactures per unit and especially Maxwell is already heavily compressed in many ways and the reference board designed @ the edge and a lot of AIB Manufactures calculate every penny.

With a closed Multi GPU system this becomes even more problematic.

So safety measures have to be taken somewhere.

This is a excellent explanation of the situation we are currently in :)

these dynamic changes happening much much faster no software can measure them because even Windows couldn't ;)

The RTOS Power Managing inside the GPU controls these critical parts and decisions in Realtime.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/graphics-card-power-supply-balance,3979-2.html

Last edited: Jan 5, 2015
  10. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    what exactly did your post have to do with anything? i was not talking about heat issue i was talk about boost my hatred of anything "automatic" oced which what this is

I dont want my Clocks/Voltage all over the place every 5 seconds simple cause "it" "think" it needed or not

11. Cru_N_cher

Cru_N_cher Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI NX8800GT OC
    Sorry not wanting it means you don't want intelligent Hardware i do of course want the Hardware to be intelligent in it's decisions and that's where we going Mobile Devices would be hardly as efficient without this and the Desktop is finally adapted :)

also these changes dont happen in seconds they happening in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsecond

12. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 970 Gaming 4G
    He just means that if Nvidia didn't feature dynamic boost then they couldn't clock as high or run high voltages w/o issues or having to over engineer the PCB and components more .

It allows them to boost high for short periods w/o issue

13. Cru_N_cher

Cru_N_cher Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI NX8800GT OC
    I don't understand even that people still think Overclocking is existing it's dead it died a long time ago ;)

Actually it died when it became a calculation point into the Hardware and advertising for it started everywhere by the Industry that was the day it died ;)

Or in clear words it died the day it was commercialized ;)

That guy explains it well it's just hilarious ;)

14. Dragondale13

Dragondale13 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 AMP! • H75
    Yea figured that out early."damn you tropical climate!!!" Lol! Still all good.:)

15. ReTiCuLe

ReTiCuLe Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA Geforce Titan
    So, this works without using the above post then correct? I just added it to my registry. Going to give it a whirl on my titan =)! Ty

16. Party Poison

Party Poison Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 3090
    Can you explain how you have it set to change with macros?

17. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    In the Logitech control panel (LGS) I select a G key and make it a shortcut to...

E:\Libraries\Documents\POWERSTATES\9\nvidiaInspector.exe -forcepstate:0,16 -setVoltageOffset:0,0,207500

That boost's the card. Obviously you have to change the path.

And this idle's the card.

E:\Libraries\Documents\POWERSTATES\9\nvidiaInspector.exe -forcepstate:0,8

This way you avoid using batch/cmd prompt and you can boost and idle as much as you want in fullscreen applications, it won't minimize.

18. Prophet

Prophet Master Guru

GPU:
    Msi 680 Gtx Twin Frozr
    Thanks for sharing. Here's how I do it with inspector. Put the following in a something.bat (make sure you have disabled hide extensions for known filetypes in explorer):
    nvidiaInspector.exe -setBaseClockOffset:0,0,40 -setMemoryClockOffset:0,0,200 -setpowertarget:0,120 -setGpuClock:0,2,1020 -setMemoryClock:0,2,3700 -forcepstate:0,2.

These are my settings for my 780 ti. You probably want lower clocks if you start out.

19. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    BTW if you find it more convenient to use a shortcut rather then a batch file Prophet, you can use those same launch parameters in the target of a shortcut pointing to Inspector.

20. flexy

flexy Member Guru

GPU:
    Riva 128
    I've never needed K-Boost, but then I am modding my bios. Goal when I mod is always that the card can do a full run at Heaven Benchmark (and preferably 3DMark as well) at the full, maximum possibly clock speed, without throttling.