How to increase VRAM

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by adsamcik, Apr 26, 2010.

1. adsamcik

adsamcik New Member

GPU:
    NVIDIA Geforce/260m/1gb
    (Srry but I dont know why but I write everywhere I but its notebook of my brothre) I have T61p with 128mb video RAM and I need to increase it on 256mb video RAM. I have this on Win XP but I cant found same drivers. I need it for games such as GTA IV or something like that. I forget... I have win 7. Thank you for you responses

+ response from one forum
    There is no way of increasing the actual vram, but the software can use the laptop's main ram as a temporary vram when it runs the actual vram space.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2010
  2. PNeV

PNeV Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 Armor
    Unless it has HyperMemory or TurboCache or whatever, theres not really much you can do. All it will do is borrow from your system memory and it won't improve performance a great deal, if any.

3. adsamcik

adsamcik New Member

GPU:
    NVIDIA Geforce/260m/1gb
    performance will be really much more better in games such as GTA IV :D thats what i need but I cant found anything to do that. I have problem to found anything only for win 7...

Last edited: Apr 26, 2010
  4. Ti3Kob

Ti3Kob Master Guru

GPU:
    980Ti @1505/7600
    You can't increase the Vram size. If the card uses turbocache technology it will use system memory when the dedicated memory is full, but system memory is very slow compared to the dedicated video memory. You can't modify turbocache size and it will be used if a driver is installed. You have nothing to do and nothing can be done.

GTA IV is heavy and isn't playable at all even on lowest settings on my laptop with a 8600M GS with 256mb of vram. You have to know I have the 3DMark 2005 world record for 8600M GS.

A card with 128Mb of memory will definitely be slower than this card and will not be enough to play GTAIV.

If you can tell what GPU it is we'll have a better idea.

5. PNeV

PNeV Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 Armor
    A quick google and it looks like its a Quadro FX 570M...maybe wrong though.

6. adsamcik

adsamcik New Member

GPU:
    NVIDIA Geforce/260m/1gb
    yh thats the graphic. Dotn tell me about GTA IV requirements... I have nvidia geforce GTX 260m with 1gb and this isnt still enough to highest. My brother have this "shared memory" on WinXP and gta iv is playable... We need this only to multiplayer :) Missing textures are really bad :(

7. MM10X

MM10X Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 FE
    You cannot increase memory of a graphics card.

The only way to do this is to replace the graphics card, if your laptop has an MXM socket buy I do not recommend this for anyone inexperienced.

8. PNeV

PNeV Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 Armor
    GTA IV was released in a shocking state, and its requirements are out of this world! Im suprised the shared memory XP machine works at all, when your GTX 260M has trouble!

9. adsamcik

adsamcik New Member

GPU:
    NVIDIA Geforce/260m/1gb
    on lowest graphic details you have about 200mb graphic memory on highest maybe 1300mb :pc1: If my brother will increase "video memory" to 256mb textures shouldnt missing.... I have almost highest but I cant see everything and night shadows are off

I know I cant change video memory but I dont know how to say it... Just need to use soe RAM as VRAM thats all :D

10. Outrance

Outrance Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x HD6950 950Mhz/1350Mhz
    Like the others said, if your video card supports it and your drivers are up to date, the system WILL DO IT AUTOMATICALLY. There's nothing you can do that is not already being done. There's so much other stuff that goes into consideration for something like this, and GTA IV is a badly coded game. There's no magical fix to play it on a low end laptop graphics card.

At the end of the day, your graphics card sux and GTA: IV needs a lot of lovin, sorry mate :frown:

11. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    He's using a Quadro FX570M....which is not a low-end laptop graphics card. The Quadro series was never meant for gaming....it was meant for apps like Autocad. The amount of system memory, graphics memory, etc makes no difference....the graphics chip was never meant for gaming to any extent.

12. MM10X

MM10X Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 FE
    Thats weird, I just looked up the specs for the 570m, it should be the performance of a 8600m GT. Also it has 256MB dedicated vram.

13. adsamcik

adsamcik New Member

GPU:
    NVIDIA Geforce/260m/1gb
    hmm great... I think thats isnt answer... You cant play on this graphic gta iv. Ok If I cant tell me why I played it on same notebook on windows xp without problem...

14. nightwalker342

nightwalker342 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080 XC
    You must make sure you turn everything off in Win7 to free up the available Vram. Win XP does not use Aero, it doesn't use the video ram like Win7 does. You probably have 128MB free Vram, not total, because of the features in Win7 that are using the memory. You might check the BIOS to make sure you have everything set correctly on your system, you might have limited the amount of system memory that it can use for the graphics chipset.

15. adsamcik

adsamcik New Member

GPU:
    NVIDIA Geforce/260m/1gb
    no 128mb total... I need to increase it.... GTA need 202mb and I need more then 200mb so 128mb on graphic and rest of this on RAM but I dont know how...

16. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    You cant give the gpu on the laptop anymore ram then it has, Unless it has HyperMemory or TurboCache even then if it does it already doing it, I could be wrong but haven't quite a few people already told you this.

and general changing system shared ram in bios only goes so high 128 maybe 256 if you lucky.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2010
  17. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    Depends on the laptop. My Acer laptop has an ATI x1400 chip in it with 128MB VRAM. In the BIOS you can increase shared memory up to 512MB.

18. adsamcik

adsamcik New Member

GPU:
    NVIDIA Geforce/260m/1gb
    He cant.... He told me he cant he need drivers or something like that and please dont tell me I cant... My brother have it on win XP I know it.... I play on his notebook GTA IV before I bought Alienware m15x... He just cant found some drivers or something for win7... he forgot what drivers he have before ... thats all

19. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black

These settings are strictly Bios there is no setting in windows xp,vista, or Win 7 to do what you asking, At lest not since AGP died. Changing drivers here is not gona help you.

Shared System Ram is the only setting that will come close to what your asking and that only works with integrated Video cards or if the standalone card was AGP. I dont think it ever added to memory of cards that are PCI-E standalone cards and this is Bios setting and has nothing to do with drivers as far as I know.

Quadro cards are not integrated cards especial on laptops. Its standalone card that can be taken off the Motherboard on the laptops. Which is no different then the qaudro's that are on Dell and IBM or any other brands laptop. So I highly doubt the System shared ram setting the bios is gona do anything for you. And laptops are not fun to take apart and fix/replace things.

Though Windows 7 adds some System ram to standalone cards to begin with. So if you on windows 7 then it is already doing what you asking. This has something to do with how win 7 allocates memory and I know of no way of change that setting. If it don't work then its the fact Quadro card were not made for gaming so just don't work right.

But this all hear say from my own personal experience and jobs I had

Last edited: Apr 28, 2010