How to improve your Movie experience

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Prophet, Jun 19, 2012.

1. tweakpower

tweakpower Banned

GPU:
    MSI HD 6770
    It's not stupid at all, I watched one movie few days ago using this method, there is very clear difference in movie experience. One downside is that you can see clearly mistakes (sort of) in movies, for example, in action movies, explosions and so on, do not look convincing (eg. real).

I can't even watch movie on 24FPS lol, it douse just double (triple etc.) already existing frames, but it helps for sure, you can like it or not, that depends on you after all.

2. KGBKGB

KGBKGB Banned

GPU:
    GTX 660TI SC 2GB

You would have to know what a real explosion looks like from first hand experience so you know what to look for in a movie. What you see is a flaw with a software that is trying to add extra frames out of air. So yes, explosions will look unnatural.

Let me say it again. If a movie is recorded at 48fps - 120fps from the start, and you like that sort of thing, then great.

But you are only fooling your self if you think you like watching 24fps up converted on the fly to 48fps by some cheesy software. This is not the same as a video game, where more fps is better and each frame is rendered in real time.

What you need to do, is to watch same exact movie that was recorded by a camera at 48fps and at 24 fps, and then decide what you like.

And i did try watching Avatar movie with this "magical" software. The frames are constantly jumping back and forth from slow to fast, its just looks terrible. A 1080P 20GB MKV file (MPEG4 Video (H264) 1920x1080 23.976fp), not some low quality copy.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2012
  3. tweakpower

tweakpower Banned

GPU:
    MSI HD 6770
    Well, you missed the point. I usually don't watch movies at home, and when i watch, i can't care less for resolution (since i use 17 inch display), so simple DVD would do the job fine.

I understand if you don't like it, sure it is better to record video at more FPS, and it is more natural when you look at it. But this software solves some real problems when watching videos on PC, therefore, it is a good software.

From your experience, i would say that you didn't set up something right (since your hardware should be very capable for playback). Try, instead of refresh rate option (in SVP) to force double the frame rate, means in your Avatar 23.976*2 = 47.952FPS result. Also you can play with shaders etc. it will stress system less, and it will give you good watching experience.

And yeas, that unrealistic experience is (sort of) flaw of software, or even better said, side effect of basics how software works. But, you would see similar thing even if movie is recorded at real 60FPS (for example). And ofc. none of the movie systems, theaters etc. would give you realistic explosions anyway, so, we missing the point here.

Point is, that video looks more smooth, and clear, that's why it is usable.

4. KGBKGB

KGBKGB Banned

GPU:
    GTX 660TI SC 2GB

It looks smoother because you seeing same Frame twice, but in a true 48FPS movie you see more information. In other words, you playing 8Bit Mario and calling it 16Bit. It doesnt work like that.

Try watching same movies on a bigger screen with this software, the effect that tries to trick you is far more noticeable. Go to Best Buy or Costco, and look at their big TV's that have "Motion" effect ON, same effect that duplicates each frame.

And switching from MPC-Home Edition to MPC-Black Eedition made my movies smoother on its own.

Not trying to make you like it less, but have you understand the actual "trick" and how it works.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2012

5. tweakpower

tweakpower Banned

GPU:
    MSI HD 6770
    I understand what you saying, and I'm very familiar with methodology how it works, long before SVP, i did encoded videos with the very same trick, but having that "on fly" is much better option for those who want.

I do understand you don't like it, but it's not the same, and it can't be compared to 8-16bit nes/snes. The matter of fact is that video do play at 60FPS (30FPS source ofc. with double FPS), no matter if just repeat same frame again.

The idea behind this is very simple, on "usual" 60Hz display, you just want to fill the gap in FPS. For higher refresh rate displays (120Hz e.) using a refresh rate target for FPS (meaning producing 1 frame 4 times or more depending on source) it will need more capable hardware. But with only double the source, will have big difference despite the fact it didn't fill the gap for refresh rate.

Everyone would agree that it is better for video to be native 60 (or x) FPS, but truth is, that is not reality ATM for majority of movies etc. You can like it or not, but it is a good software.

6. Prophet

Prophet Master Guru

GPU:
    Msi 680

Nm me KGB, its raining *whistle'.

7. JonnyRedHed

JonnyRedHed Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia
    Prophet has given some very useful player/renderer and filter setup information.

I find Zoomplayer best suited for me.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2012
  8. chainik

chainik Guest

GPU:
    AMD HD 5670
    you're talking like an expert! :D

9. Prophet

Prophet Master Guru

GPU:
    Msi 680
    You have missed teh whole point of this thread.

10. ViperXtreme

ViperXtreme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Dual UV
    cg movies looks like 3D games moving at 60FPS with this one, nice :D

11. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Um no it doesnt.
    You come here with all this verbal yet you havent got a clue what you are talking about.

12. KGBKGB

KGBKGB Banned

GPU:
    GTX 660TI SC 2GB

Do enlighten us know it all.

13. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Your seeing interpolated frames, not the same frame twice.

With a clean source and a good algorith the end result will be similar to what you would get with something filmed at a higher framerate, it won't be as good but it should be alot smoother.

I despise it myself when it comes to movies as i personaly think it looks fake and awful, but i do absolutely love it when it comes to sports.

14. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    have you seen a kung fu movie yet ? its awesome.

i use svp for everything i watch now, movies , series etc.
    totally love it.

wish it would support flash on the fly :)

15. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    It might make it better in a way that bad dubbing can make kung fu movies better.

I can't warm to it myself, some people never will it seems, as even pure 48fps footage from The Hobbit was getting poor reviews from many people.
    Can't even force myself to have it daily to get used to it as it gives my GF headaches/nausea.

Great for sports or other things that need fast, blur free motion though.

16. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Lol, pot - kettle.
    Trouble reading?

17. KGBKGB

KGBKGB Banned

GPU:
    GTX 660TI SC 2GB

That's just as bad. Every other frame is a "guess" by a software. Ill take true 60FPS over a made up out of thin air FPS.

Quote from the SVP site:
    First, it's free, second - if both Peter Jackson and James Cameron don't think the "soap opera effect" is something bad why should you? :rolleyes:

18. KGBKGB

KGBKGB Banned

GPU:
    GTX 660TI SC 2GB

Assume much?

19. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
  20. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Of course it's a guess, but done well it can be a very accurate guess.

Not like people have the choice of true 60fps, so how is that even an option??
    Even when The Hobbit is out on BluRay it will still likely be 24fps as BluRay doesn't support 60p.

Why don't you like people using something they like?